Droid or Iphone???

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yup theyre both strong platforms. I'd add the Blackberry Torch to that mix as well. It's fantastic and nothing comes close to BB for email.

JLew90

Active Expediter
I on my i phone now got all kinds of apps for driving like gps tracker so my gf at home can know were im at an app for locating truckstops cat scales tells u how many showers and fuel pumps parking spaces my favorute is the TA PETRO APP if u have a ultraone rewards card u type it in and gove u all the acess and u can order a shower before walkin in the the truckstop ... Another good one is gas buddy tells u prices of feul around u ... I say iphone has really nice apps that r useful and the touch screen in amazing but at the same time never toiched a droid prolly dong want to since iphone5 is coming soon

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
DROID for me, I like the open market android apps. Camscanner is a great app, it let's me take a pic of my bol's and email them to the company, so I can be done with my paperwork before I leave a dock.

Sent from my DROID X2

Greeneyes

Not a Member
DROID for me, I like the open market android apps. Camscanner is a great app, it let's me take a pic of my bol's and email them to the company, so I can be done with my paperwork before I leave a dock.

Sent from my DROID X2

The open market android apps are nice. I'm a bit partial to Apple but if they would come out with a phone that can run both types of Apps, that would be my first choice.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The open market android apps are nice. I'm a bit partial to Apple but if they would come out with a phone that can run both types of Apps, that would be my first choice.

You can get open source apps for an iPhone if that's important. I will say though that 90% of apps for any smartphones are junk. :D

Greeneyes

Not a Member
You can get open source apps for an iPhone if that's important. I will say though that 90% of apps for any smartphones are junk. :D

Does open source mean it's universally compatible? I'm somewhat of a tech bimbo, so many of the particulars are greek to me.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a problem with my iphone and while getting it checked at the apple store yesterday was told in a very round about way something big could be coming by the end of next month and I shouldn't do anything too hastily. I have no idea if it's true or not but no reason to doubt it either.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So, if I were to change my plan to Sprint's unlimited everything and get one of those new fancy phones I could access the internet from it, send text messages and pictures.
Any recommendations for an easy to use phone for the technologically challenged?
The best easy-to-use phone for the technologically challenged would be an iPhone, since the learning curve on an iPhone is more of a straight line than a curve. It's so easy a caveman from Kitchener can use it (used for aural alliteration purposes only. Any resemblance to persons living or Canadian is purely coincidental :D ).

The learning curve on an Android phone can be as steep or flat as you want it to be, just depends on how much you want to customize the thing. With either phone, mainly you just click the icons and run the apps. Both are pretty easy.

No 4G iPhone yet, not for another month or so. Maybe end of October, but definitely in time for the Christmas rush.

The Nexus S is similar to the Bionic, a good, fast powerful phone. It's kind of like Sprint's version of the Bionic, except the Bionic has a few later innovations and is quite a bit more powerful.

I agree that about 90% of all phone apps are junk. But the Droids do have a lot of very well done and mature apps. All of the apps mentioned in post #22 are on the Droid, as well, (except the Droid has Google Navigator which is nearly as good as a Garmin, and in many respects it's better).

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Does open source mean it's universally compatible? I'm somewhat of a tech bimbo, so many of the particulars are greek to me.

Open source means anyone with the smarts can make an app, with apple your support to get their approval to put an app on the market.

Sent from my DROID X2

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Any recommendations for an easy to use phone for the technologically challenged?

aefce329-99b7-09ff.jpg

Sorry just couldn' t stop myself.

Sent from my DROID X2

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
So, if I were to change my plan to Sprint's unlimited everything and get one of those new fancy phones I could access the internet from it, send text messages and pictures.

My recommendation is to stay away from Sprint entirely. With their network, I dont know how they can even call themselves a national wireless company. I got away from then as fast as I could once I found the immense gaps in their coverage.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
iPhones suck. The day the salesman convinced me to give up my old Treo for an iPhone was a dark day.

If you've had a truly advanced phone, the iPhone will be a step down. If you're just had regular phones before, an iPhone might impress you for a while. Surfing the net is the only thing they do well.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
iPhones suck. The day the salesman convinced me to give up my old Treo for an iPhone was a dark day.

If you've had a truly advanced phone, the iPhone will be a step down. If you're just had regular phones before, an iPhone might impress you for a while. Surfing the net is the only thing they do well.

Feel better?

Greeneyes

Not a Member

One thing I don't like about the Iphone is the lack of a slide out keyboard which is one big advantage I think the Droid has.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
One thing I don't like about the Iphone is the lack of a slide out keyboard which is one big advantage I think the Droid has.

There are many manufacturers and models of Android phones, each with their own design. A few have physical keyboards; most don't.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are many manufacturers and models of Android phones, each with their own design. A few have physical keyboards; most don't.

That's right. Many forget that Android is the operating system and not the phone.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
You forgot the hot spot feature....and if you have unlimited now and get a bionic, you can pay an extra $30 a month and use your bionic to power your laptop @ 4G speed......unlimited. Get rid of the air card when the contract is up!:D

This was one of the reasons why I bought the Pre a year and a half ago but I hate the Pre and I'm also limited in the amount of data I can teether.

Turtle, do you have the bionic yet and if not, why not?

I just got a call from verizon saying if I sign on for another year, they'll reduce my data plan by $9.99 a month, is this a scam to get me on a reduced plan or is it legit?

I'm thinking that this air card feature might be my best bet. I'm still trying to decide what to do for internet at truck stops. Life adjusting to the truck means no more free MickeyD's internet all the time.

edit: $299 with a 2 year contract is insane, what happened to free when signing your life away.

Last edited: