Droid or Iphone???

Greeneyes

Not a Member
My contract with Verizon is almost up and I'm my dilemma is whether to stick with Android(I have the original Droid) or go with the Iphone.

I'd love to hear what most of the member here use and you'd recommend.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have both an iPhone 3Gs and a Motorola Triumph Android. Although the iPhone is 18 months older I still like it way better.

Greeneyes

Not a Member
I have both an iPhone 3Gs and a Motorola Triumph Android. Although the iPhone is 18 months older I still like it way better.

Are those with Verizon or AT&T? The other thing I'm trying to decide is what the best inexpensive plan is for these type phones.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have the original Droid, and will be getting a Droid Bionic.

The best inexpensive plan is probably the plan you've already got, since it includes unlimited data on the phone. If you change plans, you lose that and will have to go to a tiered plan. You can get a new phone and keep your existing plan.

Greeneyes

Not a Member
I have the original Droid, and will be getting a Droid Bionic.

The best inexpensive plan is probably the plan you've already got, since it includes unlimited data on the phone. If you change plans, you lose that and will have to go to a tiered plan. You can get a new phone and keep your existing plan.

Hmm..What's the Bionic like in terms of advantages over the orginal Droid? I'm just wondering if it makes sense to go from a Droid to another Droid. If you do get the Bionic, I'd love to hear from you as far as how you like it.

What are these tiered plans you mentioned? I don't think I heard of any such change.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, it makes perfect sense to go from a Droid to another Droid if you like the Android operating system. If you don't, then you won't like any Droid at all.

As for the difference in the Bionic, it is a first dual-core 4G LTE handset (and Motorola used a custom LTE chip specifically for the Bionic, instead of using Qualcomm's LTE chip) with a 4.3-inch qHD display, two cameras (front and rear facing so you can video chat), one of which is an 8MP camera, full 1080P HD video camera, an external dock and laptop system.

The dual core processor is important because it's far less harsh with battery life while at the same time providing more horsepower. It essentially doubles the power and halves the battery usage at the same time. The processor is really fast, eliminating the lag when turning the phone from portrait to landscape. It has a 1735mAh battery, and an extended battery is available. But the stock battery has 650 minutes of talk time already. But basically, you get dual core, and a significant battery upgrade all in one whack, along with 4G LTE. The Bionic is actually more powerful than any of the tablets out there.

The data plans, the one you've got now includes unlimited data for Internet, mail, audio and video streaming, etc. If you change plans, you will only be offered one of the tiered plans, which will cost you dearly if you want to stream videos or tether the Droid to the laptop. The unlimited data plan you currently have is costing you $30 a month. With the tiered plans, the same $30 gets you 2 GB. $50 gets you 5 GB, and $80 gets you 10 GB. Each costs $10 for each GB you go over.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Wow, am I confused and technologically challenged.
My cell phone works as a phone and can take pictures (but I don't know what to do with them. They seem to be trapped in the phone) and has voice mail.
I use a broadband card for the internet.
Is it really necessary to have a phone that does all the other stuff?
How would it help me to change to something like what you are discussing?
I am not trying to be a smartazz. I am severely technologically challenged. And since my current plan has just expired I am looking to get something new.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not to worry, Jim. The Technotard Club has a very large membership. :D

Are smartphones necessary? Hardly. But you can do so much more with them. They are basically small computers that oh, BTW, also make phone calls. You can surf the Web (I used the Droid to check board position while at Panther, much quicker than firing up the laptop or even using the QC). You can check e-mail, read and post to EO, check weather for where you are or where you are going. Pretty much anything you can do on the laptop you can do on the smartphone, all in the palm of your hand.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are those with Verizon or AT&T? The other thing I'm trying to decide is what the best inexpensive plan is for these type phones.

Can't compare as my iPhone is Canadian provider and Android through Virgin Mobile (sprint)

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Well, it makes perfect sense to go from a Droid to another Droid if you like the Android operating system. If you don't, then you won't like any Droid at all.

As for the difference in the Bionic, it is a first dual-core 4G LTE handset (and Motorola used a custom LTE chip specifically for the Bionic, instead of using Qualcomm's LTE chip) with a 4.3-inch qHD display, two cameras (front and rear facing so you can video chat), one of which is an 8MP camera, full 1080P HD video camera, an external dock and laptop system.

The dual core processor is important because it's far less harsh with battery life while at the same time providing more horsepower. It essentially doubles the power and halves the battery usage at the same time. The processor is really fast, eliminating the lag when turning the phone from portrait to landscape. It has a 1735mAh battery, and an extended battery is available. But the stock battery has 650 minutes of talk time already. But basically, you get dual core, and a significant battery upgrade all in one whack, along with 4G LTE. The Bionic is actually more powerful than any of the tablets out there.

The data plans, the one you've got now includes unlimited data for Internet, mail, audio and video streaming, etc. If you change plans, you will only be offered one of the tiered plans, which will cost you dearly if you want to stream videos or tether the Droid to the laptop. The unlimited data plan you currently have is costing you $30 a month. With the tiered plans, the same $30 gets you 2 GB. $50 gets you 5 GB, and $80 gets you 10 GB. Each costs $10 for each GB you go over.

You forgot the hot spot feature....and if you have unlimited now and get a bionic, you can pay an extra $30 a month and use your bionic to power your laptop @ 4G speed......unlimited. Get rid of the air card when the contract is up!:D

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
So, if I were to change my plan to Sprint's unlimited everything and get one of those new fancy phones I could access the internet from it, send text messages and pictures.
Any recommendations for an easy to use phone for the technologically challenged?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
So, if I were to change my plan to Sprint's unlimited everything and get one of those new fancy phones I could access the internet from it, send text messages and pictures.
Any recommendations for an easy to use phone for the technologically challenged?

That would depend on what is included in Sprint's unlimited everything, I'm not familiar with their plans so someone else will have to jump in here and help! ;)

Greeneyes

Not a Member

You lost me with the dual core processsor and other tech specs but it all sounds cool. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the tier plans. I'll be sure not to do any switching of plans. $10 per GB overage does seem a bit much.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
You lost me with the dual core processsor and other tech specs but it all sounds cool. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the tier plans. I'll be sure not to do any switching of plans. $10 per GB overage does seem a bit much.

I'm with you on the dual core and other techy stuff but I DO know that it = zoom zoom!! Some of the laptops have quad core.....zoomy zoomy!! :D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I like my droid and why switch if you like it, can't say anything about the Iphone, never had or used one

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I like my droid and why switch if you like it, can't say anything about the Iphone, never had or used one

Exactly.....I've had an ipod touch for quite some time so I'm familiar with how the iphone works and probably would have bought one when they went to Verizon but NOT AFTER USING THE DROID!!

d_b1486

Active Expediter
Honestly, there both good. iPhone is more reliable in my opinion, and is a good qaulity product. The apps when compared to iPhone N android is a big thing though. I have iPhone 4 and had the original moto droid, have a galaxy tab, and used the galaxy s phone alttle. One nice thing about android is u can do alot of customizing unlike iPhone it's basically the same and simple to use. But the apps on the iPhone are much much much better then those on android market. More quality and cheaper. One game on android costs 6.99 on android, the same one on iPhone is .99. That's 6 dollars. And they have very limited amount of "quality" apps worth paying on android. On iPhone they also have a bigger variety of free trials of alot of the games and apps, as android does not. I like both, one thing I really miss like on iPhone is the 3.5" screen. Netflix and video chat on skype looks much better on a 4.3" that most droids have. Bit I get by. Plus when they come out with ios5 for iPhone, it will have hundreds of new features.

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App