Drivers

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I've been looking in the classifieds for a driver and noticed one fella from PA looking for a ride. It appears he will drive single,
and, wants some schmo to provide a minimum 100" sleeper, toilet, shower,"all the bells and whistles". Ya know I have my 110" condo, however, I started way back when with a 48 incher and earned my condo. What is it with this need for instant gratification. Or, am I missing something??

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I've seen that one. Laughed my butt off. If someone offered me a ride, a 48 would be great :) beats the 24 behind my seat in this cargo van ;)

One thing is for sure. If the owner is also running a truck, the truck this guy is requesting will likely be the owners. And I doubt very highly a owner would give up a decked out truck like that.

My requirements would be 48" sleeper, cd player or let me put one in, cruise control, air ride seat with arm rests and a/c. Likes would be a idle unit, condo sleeper 6 or 9 speed (I hate autos but drive um) and a lift axle or twin screw (gets the small E loads)

I'll bring my own TV and microwave and a power source for them.

However, a 36 I might think about. They are *very* tight.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I saw that one an I may have called or wrote him not sure. There are a few in there that will just destroy you with laughter if you go ahead and call them. There is one guy that will do everything, wants everything including someone to pay for him to go to driving school to get a CDL so he do those things for you. I stopped using those ads. I simply could not believe what folks would ask for.

I provide a 78 inch sleeper with Refridg, TV/VCR, CB, AM/FM CD, double bunk and Microwave and a clean truck with tools and cargo equipment and I have had them ask for more. I had a woman ask me to pay for Hotel rooms. Go figure.

I guess they use the old "If you don't ask you don"t know" approach or maybe be carful what you ask for, you might just get it.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy
3 years without full use of my mind

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
Darn,

48 inch sleeper? where were you guys way back when I had my single axle Pete Cabover with the converted ( Ironing board) 22" sleeper, spring suspension etc, A condo back then was something you found at the beach. I almost forgot about the air-assist power steering...psssst ...psssst..I'm now
laughing!

Dukesadog

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I like a team in these type trucks but it is not cost effective for singles. With 5 years you would think he would know that.
Kind of a funny ad.
I quess he can get a co-driver or keep dreaming
Davekc

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
jUST READ THE CLASSIFIED AD TOO AND HE HAD 9 REPLIES TO IT,SO OBVIOUSLY SOMEBODY GAVE HIM WHAT HE WANTED (FIGURE IT OUT).
WHITEWOLF53}> }> }> }> }>

Wayne

Expert Expediter
I responded to him and asked him if he found one let me know I would sell my trucks and driver for them.

prescat

Expert Expediter
While I agree that the guy that placed that ad was a little ridiculous with the 100" sleeper, shower, toilet, etc), especially as a solo, some of it is "supply and demand". Just because "back when I was a kid we used to walk 10 miles to school in the snow and sleep in 12 inch sleepers", doesn't mean that a good driver is easy to get and retain. (and I realize the same can be said about a good honest owner). I give some credit to the guy for being honest and not wasting anyones time or jerking them around. he said what he wants and if there are no takers, so be it. My wife and I, both with expedite experience and willing to stay out atleast 8-10weeks at a time, recently placed an ad that generated about 100 calls. We are hitting the road to make money and because we like the expediter lifestyle, but we live in an area where there are plenty of high paying CDL B jobs. Some comfort IS important, otherwise, we'd stay home. Out of all the calls, we received some with nice set-ups. Why would we go in a stripped 60-72" when a lot of decent owners have 84 or 96 condos. if we are happy and comfrtable EVERYBODY in the equation will make money. Two things that were very important for us was a "walk-through" and a generator. I'm not the tallest guy at 5-11, but I don't want to bend to go into the sleeper everytime, and whether, we are paying for gas or not, we want the generator and economy of one. Many people had them. Finally, (and sorry about this venting), I loved when someone would call us when the offer was 60% to us paying fuel, and say like it was a bonus, "and we give you 100% of the fuel surcharge!" HELLO, WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S CALLED A FUEL SURCHARGE??..ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE $2.15 FOR DIESEL YOU THINK?? (If we were getting the 40% and the owner was paying fuel, we would CERTAINLY expect them to get the 100% fuel surcharge, it's only right and for one specific purpose.) So, with that said, lighten up on the guy with the ad, maybe he's worth it. (and yes, over the years as a local and regional driver I drove my share of uncomfortable junk and made many roadside repairs), now I don't want to and I guess he doesn't either.

STAY SAFE EVERYBODY AND GOD BLESS!
PRESCAT :D