Driver wanted/available ads...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
There are 51 ads since the beginning of the month for driver/teams wanted/available. Does that seem high to you? What do you think it means, if anything?

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
You would have to compare the other months of the year. But basically it could mean 2 things.

1) More people are quiting because of HOS and fuel problems thus creating more jobs.

2) There is more frieght to be moved ( more business/busy season )

What ever the reason there are definatley two sides to this story. The ones that say there is no money to be made and the industry is in bad shape and the others that say that the freight is there and the pay is good and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
I tend to think good.. where there is a heavey need for somthing there is a shortage thaT Acompany needs to fill usualy lots of loads that cant be done with a single driver. Hos might have an impact on the industry,lots of older teams with the need and the habit of the 5 and5 driving cant get over the hump of doing things differently, when acompany stopps avertising for more employment it means the work just isnt there.. BUT I SURE AM to run like hell

huntn1

Expert Expediter
what about the number of trucks and vans for sell, sure seems like more than i have ever saw.

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
From Dec. 1 through today (Dec. 13) there were 19 "Team Wanted" ads placed compared to 4 "Team Available" ads for the same period. But here's what I found really interesting. The "Team Wanted" ads had 1641 views, but only 7 (that's right, SEVEN)replies. The "Team Available" ads had 325 views, with 39 replies...and most of those went to the two ads with experienced teams.

I realize that many replies may have been made directly to the person who placed the ad, but the bigger picture indeed seems to indicate a severe shortage of teams. Even advertisers offering bigger cuts, extra benefits, and bonuses aren't drawing replies, at least through the site.

I have been interested in the industry and reading the EO site for just over three years now. I have seen gross income reports of $75,000 - $150,000 and beyond for a hard-working h/w team. I am very seriously considering jumping in, but can't do it for at least another year due to current committments.

I guess my question is to the experienced guys and gals out there is this...do you think this apparent shortage of teams will continue, and is anyone considering any type of significant change in how they do business in an attempt to make it more attractive?

I am very familiar (thanks to this site) with the great debate of turning a sleeper into a second (or first) home, and the issues with additional cost, and reduced cargo capacity...but as experienced RV'ers, a flush toilet and a hot shower would seal the deal for my wife.

I know I'm setting myself up for some jabs with the last paragraph, but I would really like to see some good, insightful comments on the apparent lack of interest by couples to enter (or remain in) the profession.

Thanks in advance...

"99% of life is showing up on time."

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
A team can plan on working 120 hours a week ( 7 days) if they run you hard, I used to run team for BMW coming from Jacksonville Fl to Miami Fl every day. I averaged 6 hours at home each day with the rest on the road, we unloaded the truck each night at 4 stops by hand ( 53 footer)

I think I made a whopping 620 per week take home for 105 hrs...now granted that was a company driving job (averitt express) but think about what would you and your wife make if you both had 40 hr a week jobs for a total of 80 hrs...depending on what you did the 75K figure wouldnt be out of reach just staying home.

Alot of people think its like any other job but its twice the hours for the same money or less.

In 1999 I was with North American Van Lines running single in the HVP division I made 107 grand that year, I stayed gone 353 days out of 365 my net after expenses was 37 grand...I could have made that working locally.

Those are just some examples for you, Unless you live in a really depressed area as in no jobs I would consider something else.

Dukesadog
25 years driving
retired

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If a team is running your 120 hours per week average, they should be making much more than your examples of income. If not, they are with the wrong carrier.
Forgot to ad, this is factoring in that it is a TT or SS. A van may be a different story.

Davekc
owner
21 years

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
Dave,

Would you be willing to throw out a range of take-home income for a hard-working h/w team (out 48 weeks a year) running for an owner under the current industry-standard arrangement in a C or D unit?

Thanks

"99% of life is showing up on time."

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some of it would depend on the carrier and what arrangement you have with your respective owners.
If you run say 3,000 paid miles a week @ $1.20, that would be $3600 plus fuel surcharge.
Average surcharge from EO members is .18 cents per mile or $540.
So....18 x 9 mpg is $1.62

Fuel @ $2.42 minus $1.62 is .80 difference

3000 miles @ 9 mpg is a cost of 333 gallons(at ,80) or a additional cost of $266.40

Final average
3600 @ 60 percent is 2160 plus $540 for FSC for a total of $2700

2700 minus $266.40(additional fuel) is 2433.60
2433.60 by two people is 1216.80 per week per person. Any other deductions would be taken from that net number.
That is just a average. My trucks run a higher average than that but that would be a average looking at many carriers based on recent EO posts.

Carriers running at higher or lower rates, adjust accordingly. Same with percentages with owners ect. This example reflects the driver paying for the fuel and nothing considered for accessorial pay, deadhead, empty moves, detention pay,reefer or liftgate? ect.

Not perfect, but will give you some idea.

Hope that helped

Davekc
owner
21 years