driver/sprinter/with diabetes

EagleXpress

Expert Expediter
Hi, I have a good friend that is wondering if he could find a company to work with that could allow his diabetes driving a sprinter ?? thanks........

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, diabetes is a DOT thing, not a company thing, right?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Turtle, it is a DOT thing and also some states are thinking not allowing CDLs for Diabetics after the chicago event.

It all depends, if you are a type 2, or non-insulin dependent diabetes, you have to have your doctor document it and the DOT doc has to 'talk' to you about it.

If you are insulin dependent diabetic, then you need DOT waiver - I think there are a couple EO members who went through this and got the waiver.

NOW here is the catch, even though you can get away with this with a non-cdl situation, most companies will require you to go through a physical as part of their insurance requirements

BUT

If you decide not to tell either the DOT doc or the company and you have an accident, don't expect the insurance to cover your costs.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
I'm a diabetic, was one even before I started driving trucks.

Thankfully, it is non-insulin, non-injection.

With the 3 companies that I've driven for, the only thing I've had to do, was to get a release signed by my doctor.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I am a Type 2 Diabetic and Have Been for Years, All I Have to do is Get a release From My Dr. Stating that It is Under Control and is Being Treated By Him. The D.O.T. Dr. Giving the Physical will Read it and After the Physical he Issues me The Med. Card and I'm On My Way!! :D