driver newbie question

rucan

Seasoned Expediter
I will be driving for an owner who doesnt drive anymore but keeps his cube van with the company. He said he will give me 50% of the pay on each run after gas. Now should I be entitled to 50% of the gas reciepts to use at tax time since it is coming off the top or not? I am new and trying to learn how it is done. thanks

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will be driving for an owner who doesnt drive anymore but keeps his cube van with the company. He said he will give me 50% of the pay on each run after gas. Now should I be entitled to 50% of the gas reciepts to use at tax time since it is coming off the top or not? I am new and trying to learn how it is done. thanks

The person that actually pays for the gas should get the receipts.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
afaik the only real deduction is the miles on the truck which go to the owner. fuel is not a deduction but a cost of doing business. you can affect that by your speed.

is he going to load fuel/cash on your comdata card? going to use his card?

rucan

Seasoned Expediter
afaik the only real deduction is the miles on the truck which go to the owner. fuel is not a deduction but a cost of doing business. you can affect that by your speed.

is he going to load fuel/cash on your comdata card? going to use his card?

he will use company comdata and where not available I will use my credit card and he will reimburse me my money on the credit card.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A really dumb question.

How many of you guys use Paypal with your drivers?

I ran into someone who does, he told the driver to sign up for the service, the driver got a Paypal debit/credit card and when the driver needs to be paid, all the guy does is go to paypal, transfer the money and the driver is paid.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
A really dumb question.

How many of you guys use Paypal with your drivers?

I ran into someone who does, he told the driver to sign up for the service, the driver got a Paypal debit/credit card and when the driver needs to be paid, all the guy does is go to paypal, transfer the money and the driver is paid.

I don't think it is a dumb question. I had never really thought of it, but that is just another option that is out there, to be used if it works for both parties. I know Uship customers do a lot of paying or down payments using PayPal. I would look at it as a tool to be used in some cases if needing a source to get paid or trying to pay someone when you are not there in person.