Driver Contract

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Does anyone have a driver contract they could send me that I can use as a sample?
If so please send me a PM and I will send you my email address.
Thanks, Jim

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I would think you could do something simpler than normal as you will be the lead driver.
Abandonment issues, maintenance issues shouldn't be a problem.
What's your responsibility if he gets disqualified ? Will there be an escrow ?
When will he get paid ?
Spell out what his duties will be, what you will pay or won't pay.
What you don't pay is of utmost importance so he doesn't come back at you for taxes, worker's comp, etc.
Spending $150-$200 to have a local lawyer look it over would be money well spent.
Or cruise down and buy Dave a few cocktails.
I'm sure he knows all you'll need to know.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a guy in another thread that's not an idiot and knows a thing or to about contract law. Maybe he can help you.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would get a lawyer from your state to write a contract for you to make sure you have a solid and valid agreement so you know that the person that wrote it knew what they were doing. Using an agreement as an example that some wanna be lawyer wrote up could hurt you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There's a guy in another thread that's not an idiot and knows a thing or to about contract law. Maybe he can help you.

Isn't he the guy that knows enough contract law the he recommends NOT signing a contract ? :eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would think you could do something simpler than normal as you will be the lead driver.
Abandonment issues, maintenance issues shouldn't be a problem.
What's your responsibility if he gets disqualified ? Will there be an escrow ?
When will he get paid ?
Spell out what his duties will be, what you will pay or won't pay.
What you don't pay is of utmost importance so he doesn't come back at you for taxes, worker's comp, etc.
Spending $150-$200 to have a local lawyer look it over would be money well spent.
Or cruise down and buy Dave a few cocktails.
I'm sure he knows all you'll need to know.

Always good to do a contract by the pool.;)
Seriously, a contract should be written in the state you are based. Several different reasons for that. A contract for say a co-driver would be different than one who is independently operating the truck.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
In my opinion,it is tougher to do a contract with a driver who is going to be running with an owner as a co-driver.Meeting the Independent contractor part is really tough, because the owner is going to be making all the decisions,picking all the runs etc. Sounds like the other guy is an employee to me. In this case you need a lawyer that knows labor law more than ever.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
JJ, really consider if you need a co-driver. I know a couple of solo surface drivers that do over 100k per year (D Unit no lift gate % pay) and one T-Val that easily clips that. Is it worth the risk? The safest place in the truck incase of an accident is that left front seat...the worst is the sleeper.... I hope we don't end up reading about you on this forum like the other two driving the E-unit for FEDEXCC.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
JJ, really consider if you need a co-driver. I know a couple of solo surface drivers that do over 100k per year (D Unit no lift gate % pay) and one T-Val that easily clips that. Is it worth the risk? The safest place in the truck incase of an accident is that left front seat...the worst is the sleeper.... I hope we don't end up reading about you on this forum like the other two driving the E-unit for FEDEXCC.

So far I am doing fairly well as a solo. But, with my wife off the truck it is causing me a major financial hit. If I could find a debt consolidation loan I would probably keep running solo. Unfortunately our property falls under the class of a "Unique Property" and the banks do not appear to be interested.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
So far I am doing fairly well as a solo. But, with my wife off the truck it is causing me a major financial hit. If I could find a debt consolidation loan I would probably keep running solo. Unfortunately our property falls under the class of a "Unique Property" and the banks do not appear to be interested.

Try a credit union over a bank.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Try a credit union over a bank.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I forgot about them.
I am trying to find $85k for 10 years. Property is worth way over $200k. (Probably closer to $400k) But since it is unique it is hard to find the true value.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter

With your area being primarily agriculture...think through some other possibilities. eg. Small Business.... Google Agricultire loans Lake City, Fl and see what you get. We hope the best for you!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
With your area being primarily agriculture...think through some other possibilities. eg. Small Business.... Google Agricultire loans Lake City, Fl and see what you get. We hope the best for you!

Tried that. Since it is not a working ranch it doesn't qualify. But thanks for the thought.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Farm Credit Services financed the last corn field I bought.
Only needed to produce $500 income per year to be a working farm.