Drinking beer in the sleeper berth

29GHOST

Rookie Expediter
Okay as a law enforcement officer for many years in the state of Maryland, I can say this if you are in the bunk drinking and the keys are in the switch you have control and access to operate that vehicle and yes you can be charged with DUI. Also because your in a commercial vehicle fines are higher and the length that your license is suspended is longer

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah that's at least 10 years that you'd never be driving for any reputable carrier. Might get lucky and get a job driving a 1,000 miles overnight every night for 18 cents a mile at some outlaw company though. Sound like fun? Really stupid to even think about alcohol anywhere near a truck. I've got the same rule as ATeam no alcohol on the road period. If you don't go looking for trouble you never find it. Funny how that works.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Drinking in a sleeper would NOT be a good idea. I do have one question, how would they know if they don't see you take it in? :confused: They cannot just open your door and look, they have NO business in your sleeper when you are legally parked. Just wondering.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah they can no-one pays attention to the 4th amendment anymore.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah they can no-one pays attention to the 4th amendment anymore.

They are going to break out my window? :(:confused: I have NEVER had ANY official of ANY kind try to break into my truck when I was legally parked.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have NEVER had ANY official of ANY kind try to break into my truck when I was legally parked.
How about when you were illegally parked?
crying.gif

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I was called yesterday to go for a random drug screen. For the first time in 20 or so years of driving(off and on), I was given a breathelizer test. Is this a new twist, or have they been giving these all along? I thought
I would mention this for those that might think about drinking while in a commercial vehicle.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was called yesterday to go for a random drug screen. For the first time in 20 or so years of driving(off and on), I was given a breathelizer test. Is this a new twist, or have they been giving these all along? I thought
I would mention this for those that might think about drinking while in a commercial vehicle.

I have been given MANY randoms over my 9 years in this business. I was given a breathalyzer test only once during one of those randoms.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I have been given MANY randoms over my 9 years in this business. I was given a breathalyzer test only once during one of those randoms.

I usually get a couple tests each year, too. I'm with FedEx Supply Chain. I wonder if this is something new for them, or just my lucky day. Not that it matters, no alcohol passes my lips unless I'm home.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I usually get a couple tests each year, too. I'm with FedEx Supply Chain. I wonder if this is something new for them, or just my lucky day. Not that it matters, no alcohol passes my lips unless I'm home.

I don't know. Like I said, only once, a couple of years ago.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Its been a DOT rule for quite awhile. Its based on a percentage just like drug testing. Cant remember if its a separate percentage of the fleet has to have alcohol testing or if that percentage is derived from the dug testing percentage. Meaning that a percentage of the drug tests also include alcohol testing. I think its the latter of the two.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, some of the randoms are for drugs (cup, pee), some are for alcohol (straw, blow), and some are both. Carriers have different percentages for each. They are required to test 50% for drug testing and10% for alcohol, but those percentages could go up if the carrier has a history of drivers failing the tests.

29GHOST

Rookie Expediter
How would one know if you were drinking in the bunk. There is no way to tell but we all know it impairs your judgement and then you get tired of sitting in the bunk and you go sit in your drivers seat and thats when you get busted. Cause as long as you are in front of that cab with out all your windows covered you are consider on duty and an officer can make contact and conduct an inspection. Sucks I know but thats how it happens

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI ALL

DOT REGULATIONS STATE THAT "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED HAVE ANY TYPE OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE IN YOUR VEHICLE AT ANYTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a team as clients that were on there way home from a load, and were pulled over at the either Truckee, or Fairfield, California Scales and the DOT did an Inspection of there truck and found Beer, and Liqueur that he picked to bring home.

All of The Liqueur was confiscated, A large Costly Violation was issued, and Since they did not own the truck they were required to leave the truck at the scale, and find there own way home and were immediately released from there Contract with the Company that they were signed on with. So they were Stranded.

At that point, the owner of the Truck had to make arrangements to pick up the truck and return it.

I THINK IT WAS ALSO REPORTED ON THERE DAK RECORDS, i DO NOT KNOW.

IF YOU WANT TO DRINK AT THE TRUCK STOP, FIND! , BUT, DO NOT CARRY ANY IN YOUR TRUCK AT ANYTIME. PERIOD,

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NOT REMNENTS OF ANY ITEMS AND GET RID OR SELL ANY LEFT OVERS BEFORE YOU LEAVE. .

Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB
Frank’s Tax & Business Service
315 E. King St
Kings Mountain, NC 28086
(704) 739-4039
Fax: (704) 739-3934
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: Kings Mountain, NC Accounting Firm | Home Page | Frank's Tax & Business Services

Last edited: