Dose it get better?

midsouthx

Seasoned Expediter
My friend and I just got into expedite two months ago, our previouse fleet owner when we ran for another service really put it to us. But we then made the move to FedEx C/C with a new fleet owner who we both like very much great people to work for, we started with the Fed 2 weeks ago and it has been a week and 1/2 out on the road and only had 1 load that paid ok, I am scared that I have really messed up getting expedite, other folks I talk to say they are doing ok driver pay 5 to 600 weekly each driver. I think that would be good I can handle that, but what I cant handle is only 200 for a week, I made more than that when I was on the Ambulance. I have 7.5 years OTR and then I left went to school and got my EMT license I made good money but they started cutting hrs to save OT, I had to something and fast. SO I came to Expedite which yes I agree is a totally different animal all together from regular OTR. What I need to know is it going to get better? please someone say I made the right move...:confused: We are in a D unit which I think is ok?? someone please help me

aileron

Expert Expediter
My friend and I just got into expedite two months ago, our previouse fleet owner when we ran for another service really put it to us. But we then made the move to FedEx C/C with a new fleet owner who we both like very much great people to work for, we started with the Fed 2 weeks ago and it has been a week and 1/2 out on the road and only had 1 load that paid ok, I am scared that I have really messed up getting expedite, other folks I talk to say they are doing ok driver pay 5 to 600 weekly each driver. I think that would be good I can handle that, but what I cant handle is only 200 for a week, I made more than that when I was on the Ambulance. I have 7.5 years OTR and then I left went to school and got my EMT license I made good money but they started cutting hrs to save OT, I had to something and fast. SO I came to Expedite which yes I agree is a totally different animal all together from regular OTR. What I need to know is it going to get better? please someone say I made the right move...:confused: We are in a D unit which I think is ok?? someone please help me

I cannot say that you made the right move. Expediting right now is the worst it has ever been. Some people are still making money, but a lot of them go under. This is not the right time to get into expediting.
You got in already, so, hang on for a while, and if it doesn't work, find something else to do.
Good luck.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Keep in contact with your CC and make sure you are not sitting in an area that does not have freight. If you sit 24 hours ask to be moved or if you have to move on your own. Talk to other drivers that have the same type of truck as you do and start trying to find out where good areas are.

Freight is bad now for everyone not just in Expediting but the freight does seem to be picking up but you need to be proactive at getting this freight. Are you accepting loads that are offered to the truck or in your minimum set to high? Now is the time to trim all expenses and run as cheaply as you can to make a profit.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
I really like being positive with new people, but the previous posters are correct. It is slow right now. I'm positive that it will pick up eventually, but for now it stinks. We have been sitting more and finding that loads are paying less, just so the company can remain competitive. Many of the loads are still there, but there is a lot of competition for them and we have been waiting longer to get them.

Much of it would also depend upon what type of truck you have. If you're doing standard surface expedite with no special equipment, then it will be tougher. If you have special equipment, then you are making yourself available for more of a variety of freight options.

Also, there is a learning curve in knowing where to sit to get the loads. The best way to know if you're in a good place, is find another FDCC driver and ask.

midsouthx

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all for the info, We will more than likely stick it out for a while atleast 90 days, just so we can say we gave it a far shot. I find expedite to be alot different than regular truck freight, and the sitting is really going to take some getting use to, I am so use to having to run my tail off to make any kind of money like I said in my first post for the 1 run we took the other day 200 bucks isn't bad for each of us. So I will keep my fingers crossed and pray it works out, I really like the people we work for.. Thanks again for the info.

scottanhelen

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all for the info, We will more than likely stick it out for a while atleast 90 days, just so we can say we gave it a far shot. I find expedite to be alot different than regular truck freight, and the sitting is really going to take some getting use to, I am so use to having to run my tail off to make any kind of money like I said in my first post for the 1 run we took the other day 200 bucks isn't bad for each of us. So I will keep my fingers crossed and pray it works out, I really like the people we work for.. Thanks again for the info.

We started with Fed Ex about two weeks ago also, but we have been expiditing for about 3 years now. We have been slow but things have been picking up for us. I would have to agree with every thing you were told. I don't think any just jumps into this work and starts making big money. When you are new there is alot to learn, and it takes time. We still feel we have alot to learn about Fed Ex. Even though we have been expditing for 3 years, with another company. Just know that you are not alone, we all start with alot to learn.

Also I agree with you 100% the sitting is hard to get use to. I still have trouble some time with it. I think we all have trouble with it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What kind of "D" truck? Surface? White Glove? What qualifications do you have? DOD? Hazmat? etc. The more qualifications you have the more work there is for you to do. The fewer, the less work. It is that simple. Most of our numbers are still up over last year, what is not we can account for due to down time or shorter loads. I don't think that I would even consider running "surface" right now and most certinlly not run without as least a lift gate and pallet jack. Layoutshooter