Don't Get Burned

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I stopped by the terminal the other day to drop paperwork on my way through and had 5 or 6 newbies come up to me and tell me what kind of deal they had and then say "Am I getting cheated?" I told them all no, but when I asked them if they had a contract with the owner and they all said no. The owners told these people they didn't need a contract a hand shake should do. Don't do hand shake business. If you loan a complete stranger money would you do it on a hand shake? I'm not trying to bad mouth fleet owners, but newbies get those contracts. If you're talking to an owner and they tell you they will give you a certain deal ask them will they put it in writing if they say no they won't give you a contract find someone else. It will give you peace of mind in the long run. Not only does the contract protect the driver it protects the owner as well. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I'm tired of seeing people get the screws stuck to them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good advice. Going into business with a handshake is no different than buying a house on a handshake.
I see little difference between the two.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I also agree!

Its hard to prove a hand shake. This BS, these owners are using as a come back (I'm from the old school. My word is my bond.) is nothing but their way of yet another old school con.

First of all any responsible owner putting a 100K truck in the hands of a perfect stranger would want to protect his investment with a contract.

Like Jarhead I too see many newbie drivers agree to what they feel is a good deal only to get beat out of what they have coming.

GET IT IN WRITING IF YOU HAVE TO WRITE IT YOURSELF, EVEN ON A NAPKIN.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Even as gullible as I can be, at times, I think someone who won't put it in writing, doesn't really mean it.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I glad to see a few of the more experienced people agree with what I'm saying but it shots the hail out of me to see how many people go in without a contract. I did it mself with my first owner and i got the screws stuck to me. I just want people to learn from my mistakes instead of learing it the hard way themselve.