Cargo Van Dodge ProMaster

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
My repairs @ 100700 miles are 12-13,000 not counting this repair underway. Flywheel #1 $1600 +-, radiator $900, plugs $375, coil $350, flywheel #2 $1600, spare tire stow away #1?, spare tire stow away#2? Transmission $6500, flywheel #3 $1600. Repair under way. New pump and housing in transmission, new torque converter, flexplate, 3 bell housing bolts left out from last repair. I est this repair somewhere around $3.000 but won't know for sure until I pick it up. Not to mention it's been down 3 weeks and counting this time. I'm very concerned about full warranty on this repair. I'm very confident that the problem has not been corrected. They won't even consider that there may be a problem with the crank or the mating surface on the block. " Insanity : doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
Your spare tire stowaway broke? Mine broke from going thru a storm with 70mph winds. Sure tire got knocked down and bounced up and broke the plastic housing. 3 flywheels? When is it considered a lemon? Did you send all this info to the CEO? The chrysler rep who's helped in past isn't returning emails. Xiggi once said in sarcastic tone, this is the sprinter killer. Mines at independent shop now. Gave them no history on the dealer bs from cpl days ago. Dealer never checked plug, coil etc. I requested they start there and they're reply is that's common sense.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1440085352.540918.jpgpos won't work...it said error for a while and code 0000. Now there is half an hour count down lol it won't even let me turn it off. It won't even turn off when the van is turned off and key is out of ignition....

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Make sure to verify a used engine will fit. I thought they had different exhaust manifolds cast into them and were model specific.
From what I was told by a machine shop that repairs these heads. One head (R-L?) from front wheel drive and rear wheel drive are different because of a mount. So I looked up the part numbers seems the heads are all the same. The block has the same part# on all applications. Source: http://moparonlineparts.com/ in case I looked up something wrong. It looks like any 3.6L flex fuel will fit. I'm sure you will have take some things off the original engine and transfer to the new one.

Promaster right head# 68141352AD
Promaster left head# 68227451AA

Jeep right head # 68141352AD
Jeep left head# 68227451AA

Caravan right head# 68141352AD
Caravan left head# 68227451AA

Exhaust manifold is not listed for the promaster. The caravan has converters made into the manifold. The Jeep also has the converter made into the manifold but it is not even close to the same as the caravan. I'm assuming that the promaster has a specific manifold. Double check the info before or if you buy. Hope this helps.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your spare tire stowaway broke? Mine broke from going thru a storm with 70mph winds. Sure tire got knocked down and bounced up and broke the plastic housing. 3 flywheels? When is it considered a lemon? Did you send all this info to the CEO? The chrysler rep who's helped in past isn't returning emails. Xiggi once said in sarcastic tone, this is the sprinter killer. Mines at independent shop now. Gave them no history on the dealer bs from cpl days ago. Dealer never checked plug, coil etc. I requested they start there and they're reply is that's common sense.
I've had 2 break. I rotate the spare tire or did. I could only use the thing 2 or 3 times and it wouldn't go back up all the way. Actually the first one broke on the dealer. They couldn't get the tire down. I'm having the same problem getting call backs. I called 4 times leaving messages. Finally called to set up a new case# and they put me in touch with the rep. I don't seem to get any help from him anymore. No calls, no updates. Before it hit 100,000 he would call me right away, call the dealer and push my van in quicker. Not now, sat in the parking lot for 2 weeks no calls.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had 2 break. I rotate the spare tire or did. I could only use the thing 2 or 3 times and it wouldn't go back up all the way. Actually the first one broke on the dealer. They couldn't get the tire down. I'm having the same problem getting call backs. I called 4 times leaving messages. Finally called to set up a new case# and they put me in touch with the rep. I don't seem to get any help from him anymore. No calls, no updates. Before it hit 100,000 he would call me right away, call the dealer and push my van in quicker. Not now, sat in the parking lot for 2 weeks no calls.
Bummer.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
The guy that I've dealt with isn't suppose to deal with customers per the lady that called me today. Her title is Head of Top Care/Executive referrals customer care. So this is a new contact for me. She says with 170k miles we don't contractually have to go anything, we may out of goodwill. She's covering the diagnostic cost for a new dealer to figure out the misfire. Repairs above that is a wait and see. I explained to her the examples I can share from guys here on EO and also Promaster techs opinions. Dealers are backed up cuz of the recalls so might be cpl weeks to get in. Putting my nice face back on to see what happens but I told her I didn't expect anything after chrysler screwed me on the buyback program.

Reactions: Pro3500

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Picked mine up today, 3 weeks down time. They cannot tell me WHY it's breaking flexplates. They replaced the transmission pump and housing, torque converter, flexplate and all the bolts holding everything together. The vibration and noise I had in the new transmission is gone. Talking with the dealer service manager and mechanics that may be an ah hah moment. This transmission broke a flex plate that had 70,000+ miles on it in a few hundred miles. It broke another one in a few hundred more. The whole time there was a noise and vibration on hard take off coming from the trans. The converter fits rather tight in the pump housing. If some of the pumps are not machined correctly the converter could be tilted slightly. If it is it would put stress on the flex plate. The fact that the noise and vibration are gone I think I might be onto something. They agreed. The factory rep was in on this one, came out talked with and looked at everything with the mechanics. They sent in pictures, measurement, checked crank run out and end play. The Rep said he has one other one in his area in the Rochester that has broke 3 flexplates to date. I hope that it was a bad pump housing and my problems are over. Now if freight is moving I can make up for sitting 3 weeks.

Reactions: RoadTime and robh2