Cargo Van Dodge ProMaster

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
That what gets me about new ideas you put this chunk of change down pay in treat and when it breaks they take their sweet time fixing it

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
"Looks like new motor needed or you can spend over $4K for a valve,lifter, rocker job on our 2014 Promaster 170K miles. From the dealer; Mike,
We performed a compression test on cylinders 1, 3, and 5. 1 & 3 tested at 175. 5 tested at 155 initially and came up to 175 on a second test. The leak down test showed 5-10% leakage which my tech tells me is fairly common, we tend to see in excess of 20% when the head going bad. There is a significant amount of noise from the valve train indicating the rocker arms and lifters need to be replaced. At this time none of these tests are a smoking gun for the misfire but as I mentioned history has told us that the cylinder heads are most likely the cause."

So basically compression still good but they wanna replace the head anyways and yet still not pinpoint the misfire at this time. Yesterday they said the cylinder passed and wasn't throwing active code...waiting on chrysler corp rep that I've worked with from day one on what if anything he wants to do.

Reactions: xiggi

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dealer finally got to my van yesterday. 2 1/2 weeks later and no idea still whats causing it or when it will be fixed. They sent pictures into Chrysler and are waiting for a reply. Dealer said it needs a torque converter, pump housing and a flex plate. Called the rep he mentioned helping financially with the repairs. (Insert record scratching noise here) I said hold up what do you mean "help with"? Hesitantly he said it should be covered. I asked what about the next one? I've had two in 4,000 miles so what if another goes even in 10,000 miles. I reiterated that this flex plate broke before 100,000 miles. I've called a lawyer but it seems I may be out of luck on it. They will revue it further when I get it back. They want to see the next repair order. The amount of miles in such a short time and the fact that it has over 100 on it now will make a hard case. Wonder what it's like to work a full month said the Promaster.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
these sob Promasters are basically lemons. POS rush jobs. Push the product out the door 1st. Hope to make billions so they can cover the millions in repairs. Never again. Still no idea on misfire and now need find diff dealer. This one wouldn't answer my tough questions and told me go somewhere else after I told them they been sitting on their a$$ since Monday. I been fired.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a misfire around 75,000 they said I needed plugs. The misfire was on number 5. I didn't buy it but let them put them in anyway. The misfire went away, 5,000 miles later the misfire came back same cylinder. The coil was bad, weak. Do you know if they checked the lift on the cams? Could have a bad cam. I know there's a problem with cam followers, lifters and cams. I don't know what I'm going to do with mine. It's breaking flex plates now on average of 2,000 miles. That's 3-4 a month.

Last edited:

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sure they didn't cuz all they did was what's required to just check the pressure. I was cautious from the start when I hear $4K repair cuz history tells us it's the cylinder and then thy say the cylinder is good. On my $ nobody is opening that fir $4K and in hopes it will be lower cost. I'll replace the motor or send it back to the note holder. I know a tech in KY that says these vans are coming in all the time with valve issues and chrysler is fixing them. I'm still waiting on this chrysler guy from corp.
Was your misfire resolved completely with the coil replaced?

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes the coil fixed mine. There's low mileage motors on online some for under a grand.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Can you send me the link for those? [email protected] or here is fine. I was hoping for a factory line motor for $3,700 installed similar to another guys issue. If I can get the misfire done I won't worry about the other bs til I have to.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine had a misfire. Dealer replaced the rear camshaft. All good for 10k miles now, but every 20-25k he has a multi-thousand dollar repair.

He is really disappointed in this van. He bought it because 'gas engine is easier and cheaper to fix and everybody can work on them'. At 110k miles he found out otherwise. It took 3 dealers and a week to diagnose and fix a faulty oil pump that would put him in limp mode. He wishes he kept his Sprinter.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's pretty disappointing that it seems there just isn't the reliability these days in a long and tall van compared to the V8 vans or early sprinters. They all seem to be hit or miss, with I'm sure the driving habits and maintenance being part of the equation.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
A friend of mine had a misfire. Dealer replaced the rear camshaft. All good for 10k miles now, but every 20-25k he has a multi-thousand dollar repair.

He is really disappointed in this van. He bought it because 'gas engine is easier and cheaper to fix and everybody can work on them'. At 110k miles he found out otherwise. It took 3 dealers and a week to diagnose and fix a faulty oil pump that would put him in limp mode. He wishes he kept his Sprinter.
How many miles on your friends van now? Know cost of that cam job?

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
How many miles are on those vans experiencing those issues?

I have 74k on mine, I hope I can avoid all those expensive repairs..........

I saw promaster with 199 000 miles on it on carfax I believe it was listed for 15k

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Mine has 170K. Engine wiring harness at 50K. My lifter issue just started and the misfire 2 months ago after getting plugs. It's been sporadic and now worse. Other guys have been at 109K and just replaced the motor.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
How many miles on your friends van now? Know cost of that cam job?
152k miles now. The camshaft job was just over $1900.

He just finish his maintenance report and he was shocked. In the last 8 months he spent over $9000 in maintenance. Oil changes, tune up, transmission service, radiator leaking, headlights, alternator and belt, oil pump, rear intake camshaft.

I haven't spent a tenth of what he has on my 11 year old, 718k miles Sprinter.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you send me the link for those? [email protected] or here is fine. I was hoping for a factory line motor for $3,700 installed similar to another guys issue. If I can get the misfire done I won't worry about the other bs til I have to.
This one has under 20,000 miles on it for 1,580.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Journ...OEM-/191638664960?hash=item2c9e8df700&vxp=mtr
This one has under 50,000 miles on it for under a grand. http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-13-Ch...OEM-/191668125661?hash=item2ca04f7fdd&vxp=mtr

Reactions: fifaref2

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
152k miles now. The camshaft job was just over $1900.

He just finish his maintenance report and he was shocked. In the last 8 months he spent over $9000 in maintenance. Oil changes, tune up, transmission service, radiator leaking, headlights, alternator and belt, oil pump, rear intake camshaft.

I haven't spent a tenth of what he has on my 11 year old, 718k miles Sprinter.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
My repairs @ 100700 miles are 12-13,000 not counting this repair underway. Flywheel #1 $1600 +-, radiator $900, plugs $375, coil $350, flywheel #2 $1600, spare tire stow away #1?, spare tire stow away#2? Transmission $6500, flywheel #3 $1600. Repair under way. New pump and housing in transmission, new torque converter, flexplate, 3 bell housing bolts left out from last repair. I est this repair somewhere around $3.000 but won't know for sure until I pick it up. Not to mention it's been down 3 weeks and counting this time. I'm very concerned about full warranty on this repair. I'm very confident that the problem has not been corrected. They won't even consider that there may be a problem with the crank or the mating surface on the block. " Insanity : doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I just don't understand why a few vans have so much issues... I have a herd of Promasters and none of them have had any mechanical or rust issues at all... just one tire blow out among all of them. ???

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just don't understand why a few vans have so much issues... I have a herd of Promasters and none of them have had any mechanical or rust issues at all... just one tire blow out among all of them. ???
Keep your fingers crossed lol. This is the first lemon I have ever owned. It's mind blowing to say the least. What bothers me the most is they won't try and figure "why". They just repair it and hand it back.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Make sure to verify a used engine will fit. I thought they had different exhaust manifolds cast into them and were model specific.

Reactions: fifaref2