Do you take the time to continue your education in

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Just wondering who, continues to educate yourself in this industry or another trade.

What do you read besides the E/O. I like the Trucker Magazine, for one but anything relating to our industry I will pick up.

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter
RE: Do you take the time to continue your educatio

Interesting question:

Both my co-driver and I are taking Spanish lessons. [on CD]

Wer'e in our 7th month and have done very well for a couple of old farts. We practice when given the chance on any Hispanic thats aproachable. Needless to say, wev'e had plenty of oppurtunities with the number of Mexicans who work alot of the shipping facilities all across America. I'm finding out things I never woulda....had I no Spanish abilities.

FedEx has also border crossing assignments for bilingual drivers. So far wev'e only been dispatched on 3 loads , but the pay was great. Done Tampico twice and Veracruz once.Crossing is actually alot less of a hassle than going to Canada. ....and fuel is CHEAPER!!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Interesting about going into Mexico,I had a long auto trip there about 15 years ago and I probaly lost 5 pounds worrying about safety on the roads. But fuel and everything else was dirt cheap.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Unless you are paying a recovery bond, there isn't a load that would pay enough to go. Unless of course the load pays more than the value of your truck. Insurance isn't inforcible once you cross the border. If a Mexican federal agent wants to confiscate your truck, you better plan on big bucks to get it back.
OOIDA has gotten involved in several issues with guys loosing their truck in Mexico, and neither one has gotten them back.
I'm surprised Fedex would want to put their drivers at that kind of risk. But....they aren't out anything. Our carrier interlines with a Mexican carrier so their drivers don't have to endure those kinds of risks.
Pretty much the same as all the rental car companies. For every 10 cars that went in, only 2 returned. Now, none of the major rental car companies will allow their vehicles into Mexico.
Now you have been warned.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Border crossings into Mexico are new to me. I have been wuith FEDEX for many years and as far as I know they interline with Mexican carriers in Laredo and Brownsville. Vera Cruz is way down there,must have been a hell of a deadhead back to the USA.

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter

The mis-conceptions in regards to traveling Mexico are beyond me. I guess one needs to actually do it before truly understanding the risk. We have an umbrella from Hartford that covers us against any issues we'd encounter in Mexico. Wev'e had nothing but good experiences doing the 3 R/T's and have met some really nice folks. All we hauled is Mexican Naval supplies and we always have a return load which typically is helicopter parts , computer panels and crated machinery. And.....we ain't the only U.S. carrier running down 180 & 80. Wev'e convoy'd most of the way with 15-20 other trucks each and every time.

loadingin0ff-Tampico.jpg

loadinguppartsTampico.jpg

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter

Trip to Veracruz

and you'll see one of our convoy buddies passing us as we stopped to help out a broken down jeep w/Americans

helpingoutanamerican.jpg

mexprisonersmakeniceplates.jpg

LOL....unsafe load ???
aintasafeload.jpg

nearouroffload.jpg

the docks where we off-loaded:
atthedocks.jpg

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

The mis-conceptions in regards to traveling Mexico are beyond me. I guess one needs to actually do it before truly understanding the risk
==========================================
It looks like a fun trip, but I still wouldn't do it as a owner operator. Their insurance laws are much different than the US. The situation is different if driving a company truck because you don't have that exposure. Mexico doesn't recognize a policy written in the USA. It isn't worth the paper it is written on down there.
The US carriers that operate there heavily like JB,Schnieder,Swift are in a different set of circumstances as they are self insured.
If your truck is detained for any period of time I would be surprised your insurance would cover this type of loss. In fact, I have never heard of a policy that covers this except a recovery bond. As mentioned, OOIDA has had numerous issues with owner operators getting their trucks trapped down there.
Unless it is a policy written in Mexico, I would want to see very specific language to a trip down there. If your truck is detained for what ever reason, it isn't stolen. How does this policy work? And who inforces and administrates a recovery?
Truck siezures are relatively common down there. That may be why the load paid alittle more, because of the risk.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter

You actually purchase your insurance and tourist card in Browsville. Hartford works with one broker who takes care of all your paperwork.......and takes your $132.00. Lots of U.S. insurance companys operate/own Mexican Insurance company's, in case you'd have a loss on the Mexican side. We'd not even think of going down had Hartford not satisfied our needs for protection. Wev'e not heard ONE word about any commercial vehicles having ANY troubles traveling 180 or 80. All I can say is that roads pretty much non-stop commercial traffic and again...... there was absolutly NO talk of any nasty stuff going on.

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter

Kinda aggrevates the crappola outta me when folks talk about Mexico as some kinda wild west TV show. Like there's a buncha banditios just waiting for your lil anglo behind ?? Like you feel comfortable traveling thru certain areas of my hometown of Detroit ?? There ain't no insurance company that can protect you from them either !!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I think you missed my point. Insurance is only designed to cover an accident or theft, and usually with a high deductible. Many areas of Mexico have alot of corruption within certain jurisdictions. It is a common theme on the nightly news especially the closer you get to any border town. If your vehicle is detained for any reason it is not a insurance issue. Information from OOIDA has had trucks held up for months until they are finally released.
It is much different than Detroit if your vehicle is detained.
Pretty much the reason you see very few US owner operators venture their truck over the border. It has little to do with the perception of Mexico, but rather the financial exposure.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

I think it will be really beneficial to anyone to know a second language. How are you taking Spanish lessons in the truck? What kind of program are you using? Your pictures are great and the trip looks like a fun adventure. It would be nice to learn more about traveling in the south.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Thank you, TeamDrivers2, for sharing your story and information. While I know FedEx ran Mexico freight by transferring it to other trucks, I had no idea FedEx sometimes sent Custom Critical trucks south of the border too. Fascinating info! Great to read! Great photos too!

As far as how things work with insurance and commercial trucks in Mexico, and the risks involved, I will listen to the people who have actually done it.

Diane and I have "learn Spanish" on our to-do list. With CDs/DVDs to teach you and Spanish-language stations on satellite radio, and the numerous Spanish-speaking people we meet on the road, learning Spanish is something that can be easily done and immediately applied.

You inspire us, TeamDrivers2. As soon as I complete my studies for a ham radio license, it's hello amigo...or is that ola?

I recently visited with a vendor at a shopping mall kiosk who was selling Rosetta Stone language programs. He told me they have been in business many years but have seen sales skyrocked nationwide as they discovered kiosk marketing. You can now find them in upscale malls around the country and online.

An attractive feature of this language program is the six-month full money back guarantee. If you buy it and don't use it, or use it and don't like it, you can return it within six months of the purchase date and receive a full refund.

http://www2.rosettastone.com/en/

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter

http://www.unforgettablelanguages.com/frames_a1.html

My co-driver and I pitched in $150 each and bought the program on AUDIO & CD ROM. The courses are totally different than what most of us are used to, and get right to the business of speaking real life Spanish. There's various courses available on the Unforgettable site for each language. Laptop required of course for the CD ROM portion.

Heck yeah !! learning a new language has been real fun. Ya'll would just die hearing us practicing on each other.

Probably the biggest rewards are when we actually get to communicate with someone who speaks Spanish as a primary language. You'll see their ears and eyes PERK right up when the words come out of our mouths. All of a sudden, yer not just sum Gringo !!! You'll be at the recieving end of all kinds of great information and just plain good ole hospitality. When you make the attempt to speak THEIR language..it does indeed change everything. Wev'e got along way in becoming fluent, but that wasn't our goal in the first place.

CC is not out pushing south of the border loads. We had a inside connection with the folks at Bell Helicopter, and a HUGE oil field supply company. Took alot of luck and pursuing our contacts. We found all this freight ourselves....and took it from there.

We then had Hartford work with our personal attorney and all the nasties of getting proper coverage took place. Once we cross the border, our policy gets handed over to a Hartford owned Mexican affiliate. That all takes place at the border.

We would/will not EVER cross in Lareado, nor would we travel south from Lareado. Same goes for TJ outta San Diego. Just like bad parts of any large city here in the U.S. , you do your homework 1st and avoid those particcular routes.

Sitting outside Seattle now....... all this Mexico talk's killen' me.

Huge lunch was $2.00 and didn't eat 1/2 of what was served
weatehere.jpg

Going into the city was NOT a good idea
travelingincity.jpg

Fueling up at PEMEX - the only fuel/gas station in Mexico
pemexrules.jpg

wahoofan

Expert Expediter

Hello

Nice pics teamsdrivers. How did the mexican people treat you down south? I have been in Tijuana and Nogales a few years back. We were warned about Tijuana and were told to go into town only with a group of GIs only. Nogales from what i remember was ok, just a bunch of street vendors selling their goods. Seems to be a bunch of negative stuff about Mexico in the news. They show all the shootings on some of them border towns such as Nuevo Laredo on the cable TV networks. The hot topic of illegal immigration is now being spotlighted on the national news. In the 1980s and 1990s it was no big deal having basically an open border. What gives??:eek: I find the spanish culture and language so fascinating and love the food.