Do you see anything screwy here?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm looking at this truck to buy. My wife and I noticed the wheels are an awful lot forward on the box. I read on another site that a longnose Pete on the front of his straight 8 made it so virtually nothing could go toward the front of the box because the front axle weight was maxed. Do you think this is why the axles are that far forward?

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...=801290&guid=C31065C2645442C7B52147E7F08866A1

Then look at the T-2000 straight 8 in the classifieds here. The axles are farther back. This actually looks more natural. What are the opinions out there?
Thanx

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi...results_format=long&db_id=823&query=retrieval

T-hawk

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it was a long wheelbase truck and they didn't stretch it any, just put a box on it.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree with LDB. It wasn't stretched. From the pictures it looks like they just welded an extended frame and added dolly legs. If it is double framed it may be ok. Before you buy, I would run it by a dealer and have them really look at it. The blue one looks to be set up correctly. Anytime you get into those types of setups, make sure you know how much the front and the rears weigh.
There has been a time or two were I have seen these and they can only legally scale 5 or 6,000 lbs.
Be careful and good luck
Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Looks to me like it was just a tractor and they put a box on it without extending the frame. I didn't see landing gear in the back so a heavy battery powered forklift truck would probably lift the front end and tip the rear of the box onto the ground.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I was told by the salesman that it has dollies.
I was trying to find another tractor that was extended that far just to compare pictures. I haven't found one yet. But after hearing your advise, I'm thinking of just looking elsewhere. The price seemed too good to be true... though I thought that was because of the year.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It looks in the picture that the axles are way to the front. But it also looks like the rear drive is centered on the box. Class 8 stretches are tricky. Best thing to do is go look at it. And ask them if you can take it to a CAT scale and weigh it empty. And see what the axle weights are. Especially the steer. They may have it that far forward to keep the weight off the steer axle. Or they may have just lenghtened the frame and not move the axles. Hard to say, without looking at it. I have a long hood Classic XL. And my axles are not that far forward. But I have contemplated moving them about a foot forward. As I am a little heavy on the steer. I can get 20k in the box but I have to watch how heavy I load the front. Not a bad looking truck for the price.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Thanx Neverhome... that sounds like very sound advice. I'm guessing if it is an actual stretch job that is too far forward, I could pay to move it back a bit. What would a move like that run? And where would you get yours done? What do you think would be an optimal weight for the front?

T-hawk

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
When in doubt get the truck weighed. You will then know what you have to work with. Great question, we sometimes assume that evrything will work when in fact you may be buying someones screw up! Good luck and keep us posted how you make out.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
This principle is very useful in loading a truck:
If the driver loads the cargo in such a way that the center of mass (center of gravity) is directly above the drive axle (or halfway between the tandem drive axles), then the entire weight of the cargo bears directly onto the drive axle(s).
If the driver loads the cargo in such a way that the center of mass is somewhere forward of the drive axle(s), then some of the weight bears onto the steering axle, and less of the weight bears onto the drive axle(s).
The farther the center of mass of the cargo is forward of the drive axle(s), then the more of the weight bears onto the steering axle.
Conversely, if the driver loads the cargo in such a way that the center of mass is behind the drive axle(s), then all of the weight of the cargo bears onto the drive axle(s) -- and some of the weight on the steering axle shifts onto the drive axle(s)!
The farther the center of mass of the cargo behind the drive axle(s), the more of the weight on the steering axle shifts onto the drive axle(s).
How much weight goes on or comes off the steering axle?
That's easy -- with a simple calculation:
If the center of mass of the cargo is 5 feet forward of the drive axle(s) or behind the drive axle(s), and if the wheelbase is 25 feet, then 5/25 of the weight moves.
5/25 = 1/5 = 0.20 = 20%.
In this same example, if the cargo weighs 5,000 pounds, then 1,000 pounds (1/5 of 5,000 pounds) shifts onto the steering axle or off it -- depending on whether the center of mass of the cargo is 5 feet forward of the drive axle(s) or 5 feet behind the drive axle(s).
If the center of mass of the cargo is 5 feet forward of the drive axle(s), then 1,000 pounds of the cargo bears onto the steering axle, and 4,000 pounds bears onto the drive axle(s).
In the other direction, if the center of mass of the cargo is 5 feet behind the drive axle(s), then all 5,000 pounds comes to bear on the drive axle(s) -- AND 1,000 pounds come off the steering axle and shift onto the drive axle(s), so that 6,000 pounds altogether come to bear onto the drive axle(s).
To picture this, imagine a seesaw on a playground.
Imagine what happens -- imagine the action of the seesaw -- as two or more children take different positions on the seesaw.
Now imagine that your truck is a seesaw with its fulcrum at the drive axle(s).
Then imagine what happens as your cargo occupies different positions -- fore and aft -- inside your cargo box.
This is not empty speculation; it really works.
Note this well:
If a driver wishes to avoid adding more weight to the steering axle, load the cargo in such a way that the center of mass of the cargo is nowhere forward of the drive axle(s) -- either directly above the drive axle(s) or behind the drive axle(s).
How can we determine where the center of mass is?
A careful eyeball estimate often works fairly well.
Maybe we could even measure the cargo.
Try this sometime!
By the way, this principle is one very good reason to avoid loading cargo all the way into the nose of the cargo box unless necessary.
Many loaders tend to shove the cargo all the way into the nose -- even if the cargo is rather small.
Many drivers also tend to do so.
By controlling the position of the cargo, we can control not only the loading of the axles but also the quality of the ride and the handling of the truck.
As always, best wishes to all,
Doc.
PS. For those who dislike math and physics, please feel free to disregard this whole thing.

cliffn

Expert Expediter
We had a wheelbase change done at Jones Truck and Spring Repair in Columbus, Ohio. This was done at the same time we were putting on a tag axle and the cost was one thousand dollars for that part of the job which included the driveshaft work. However, it was only a single axle they were moving so oviously you would be looking at more. They do good work and stand behind it. Phone is 1-800-828-6769. Ask for J.D. Good luck. :) :) :)