Do You or Do You Not Use The Power Deck System?

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was wondering who was using the power deck system and if so, how is it holding up are you happy with your investment? And if your not using it, why? Cost? Durability? Application? Looking forward to everyones opinion and thoughts...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Nope I don't and wouldn't. I have a good friend that had 1 in his sprinter..took it out and traded it to a "upfitter" for some modifacations to his bunk setup..he got less then half the retail price as credit on the work he had done.....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had loads that would not fit height wise because of losing a couple inches.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There is no need for one because you can hook a tow rope around the pallet and hook it to the front of a forklift to have it pulled out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
paullud: They claim it is safer and faster using the power deck system over ropes, chains pallet puller, etc. that's why I was curious to who was using it or not...

Chef is saying the cost to return on investment is to prohibitive and Xiggi is saying the application would hinder his load acceptance/capabilities...

Almost 50 views with only 3 replies and all on the negative side... Thanks guys for your thoughts...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The loss of height would be an issue. The thing that I dont see is that I like my etrack in the floor. I dont see any securement options built into it. The only way I would consider one would be if I had an extra tall box and if I could install etrack on thw floor or built into the system somehow.

The reviews you have gotten are negative for a good reason....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
paullud: They claim it is safer and faster using the power deck system over ropes, chains pallet puller, etc. that's why I was curious to who was using it or not...

If you use an actual tow rope there is no real danger to worry about since they will have a weight rating much higher than the load so you won't have to worry about it snapping and whipping around. I wouldn't use a chain because there is no elasticity and I would worry it might be a little rougher on the equipment.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rocketman; Thanks for your thoughts on the load securment and I agree they are very valid reasons...

Paullud; Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't use a chain because there is no elasticity and I would worry it might be a little rougher on the equipment.

That's exactly why I do use a chain to pull pallets.

(Full disclosure: I have never in past nor do I currently use the Power Deck System.)

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We looked at it seriously but the cost sent us packing. I just don't see how we could ever seriously justify the cost.

Say you have money coming out your ears? Well there is a small reduction in availalble cargo height and, frankly, it looks like it weighs a lot, maybe 200 lbs or more? I don't know for sure but every pound lost in cargo capacity is a potential lost in revenue. We looked at it but didn't buy for these reasons. If it cost $1,000 or less? Maybe then?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I have no use for it. My nylon snatch strap is smaller, lighter and just as quick and safe as the power deck. Also I don't trip over my snatch strap when I'm wandering around my van at night. I drilled holes in my shelves just to save 12 lbs. I don't need more dead weight. If I need more dead weight it is going to be a two hundred pound air conditioner.

I told the power deck people that the only time I might consider their product was if it was a raised floor in a dually sprinter that allows wide pallets to get past the wheel wells.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
All of the above....Only thing straps are not allowed at some auto assemblies now....Ford Sharonville comes to mind....Dock level is spreading at GM plants...
I was thinking a quick connect winch at the rear of van and pull them out that way...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
A 10 ft chain with a 18 inch "J" hook that i got from a wrecker driver friend, but you can buy them at northern tool also...I have also thought about a small electric 3000 lb winch with a "quick setupa nd connection to to pull skids back to the end of the load floor...LOL, but id also need a "snatch block" to double the cable to raise the capacity of the pull rating for those "heavy" loads!! LOL..:D

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For a positive note, I did meet a driver who showed me his deck, said he loved it and was too old to be dealing with straps, jumping in and out, etc. I do like that you can spread out the skids for better weight distribution.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
All of the above....Only thing straps are not allowed at some auto assemblies now....Ford Sharonville comes to mind....Dock level is spreading at GM plants...
I was thinking a quick connect winch at the rear of van and pull them out that way...

You could use a hand crank like they use to drag a boat on a trailer. They are very cheap. Just not sure how you would mount it unless you rigged up some kind of attachment point off the bumper or tow hitch.

I use a tow strap with hooks on the end to drag pallets but left it in Laredo a few weeks ago gotta get another

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You could use a hand crank like they use to drag a boat on a trailer. They are very cheap. Just not sure how you would mount it unless you rigged up some kind of attachment point off the bumper or tow hitch.

I use a tow strap with hooks on the end to drag pallets but left it in Laredo a few weeks ago gotta get another

a hand crank for a 1,000 lb skid across the floor?.....oh you are my Superman!!....LOL

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
thanks for the heads up if this is a trend. only once at a power plant they would not use an outsiders unapproved webbing. ill keep using my strap, but ill figure out a way to multiply my power, so i can pull the pallet myself. ive used a ratchet strap to pull a pallet, but its way too slow when someone is waiting.

eb

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, insights and replies...

"A day of not learning is just a wasted day" - Hazmat

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
thanks for the heads up if this is a trend. only once at a power plant they would not use an outsiders unapproved webbing. ill keep using my strap, but ill figure out a way to multiply my power, so i can pull the pallet myself. ive used a ratchet strap to pull a pallet, but its way too slow when someone is waiting.

eb

I've had to back up to a light pole(concrete based) hook up the skid with strap and drive forward to slide skid to the rear..just once so far....kinda neat....:)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Now that i think about it, i delivered to a "chemical plant" in Indianapolis, In across the street from the "Speedway" that wouldn't let me use the chain and hook...i had an old "come along" and i used that to drag the skid to the back of the van...i don't think i even have that thing in the van anymore....hmmmm...that small winch idea is looking pretty good...