Do you need more freight?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It depends on whether your company lets you find outside freight or not. Some good places are getloaded.com, expediteloads.com, and gps411.com. The last costs a pretty penny, but can pay for itself just by getting you out of a couple jams. I also get some emails from expedite companies. Most of the time, I use gps and the emails to gauge where to go when I drop. If after 24 hours with no freight, I start looking... either for freight or a hint to where the freight is moving around me.

Hey Ark...
LOU RAWLS! KAREEM CORN!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We don't do it on a regular basis, but it can pay well in the right circumstances. If it is an option of sitting or do a decked load, we would do the latter. Especially out west or a place like Idaho where you know there isn't a ton of dry van freight.
I book a full load at 12,000lbs or less. The most on a second deck would be roughly 6,000 lbs. That weight spread on say 20 feet is minumal if decked correctly.
Keep in mind that we only do this on a tractor rate load.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I'm in a 22 foot d-unit with tandem axles. I can handle 20,000. I don't have any decking though. My hands are tied because I don't have a computer with internet on the truck. I was on expediteloads.com but didn't have any luck finding anything there. I haven't tried gps411.com or getloaded.com. I know the freight on uship.com is to cheap. everyone on there wants something for nothing.Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
advice... if you want to find loads, get a puter and internet. Or, you can get some contacts and make your rounds with them when you get in a bind.

mygroupllc

Expert Expediter
you dont need decking to find loads for a 22'
sometimes you can put together 2 or 3 ltl shippments that will pay more per mile than what you get for an expedite but there is more work involved you have to make 2 or 3 picks and drops but these type shippments will get you back into the midwest so you can get another expedite load.it just may take 2 days to get your stops off because alot of these type shippments deliver to 9-5 operations vs 24 hour receiving. but before you shake your head no you need to think if im getting more per mile and not sitting even 24 hrs to get out of dead areas then your cost of operation goes down and your money ahead.less dead head = more cash in your pocket at the end of the week so your chances of success are higher than the average expediter who sits for 24 or more hours and the may or may not end up deadheading 3 or 4 hundered miles or being paid pennys for a empty move.all miles you put on your truck is wear and that much closer to major repairs.be smart dont do nothing for free with your truck but please dont think you cant make money on your own without the help of your carrier.chances are your carrier has alot more trucks to worry about on any given day than just you.
there are alot of load boards out there besides the one t-hawk mentioned there is truckstop.com,dat services,landstar.com,chrwtrucks.com,freight management,direct freight services,market transport,swan transportation,trans united,integrity logistics,metro express,active areo,pro trucker,champion expedite and hundereds more some charge fees and some dont.
get yourself a computer and stop hanging out at truckstops the internet is full of information that can make you money.there is no reason for failure if you have the motavation to get off yor rear and take the time to do it yourself.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Excellent advice. That is how you earn more than most even with a reefer ect. I wouldn't deck a load unless I am getting a full tractor rate. Then it pays to do it.
Even LTL loads can be had for 90 to $1.00 a mile. Put two on and it is better than sitting.
Like you said, it just takes alittle effort and making some contacts.
With our 22 footers, I can usually get two on, but sometimes struggle with three. At that point, time becomes an issue is well. I try and turn the load in a day and a half unless it is coming from one of the western states.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
I own one van and drive myself.Do you think it would be profitable enough to get my own authority ?My thought would be to expedite then HOPEFULLY hot shot back to good location when i need to.I have some experience in expediting but in all honesty not an expert.Triing to get info and seems like nobody wants to give it up(lol).I'm very ambitious but feel at a loss.Any info pro or con would be most appreciated you now have or plan on getting your own authority here
>is a list of people and the companies they work for that you
>need to network with to get expedited freight.
>
>A&L Global Enterprises (Round Lake, IL) Arthur Kuceba
>Active Aero (Belleville, MI) Greg Netter
>Air America Logistics (Windsor, ON) Jeff Robinson
>All Around Couriers (Richmond, VA) Ray Liles
>ASAP Express (Romulus, MI) Rob Bonello, Mike Horwith
>ASAP Logistics (Romulus, MI) Aaron Fiser
>Barrett Directline Delivery Services (Bentonville, AR) Scott
>Fulkerson
>Bolt Express (Toledo, OH) Dave Large
>C&M Transportation (Painesville, OH) Cal Pettrey, Mike
>Pettrey
>Camrett Logistics (Wytheville, VA) Beverly Lee
>Cargo Solutions, LLC (Lexington, SC) Damon
>Schildknecht,Eddie Gooding
>Clearwater Logistics (South Bend, IN) Mark McLochlin, Terry
>Kelly
>D. Dent & Associates (Windsor, ON) Debbie Price
>Diamond Delivery Service (Fort Wayne, IN) Pat Carmody, Chris
>Fisher
>Dynamex (Cambridge, ON) Tim Turner, Jonathan Knowles
>Epes Express Services (Greensboro, NC) David Spence
>Fernley & Fernley (Philadelphia, PA) Bill Norton
>FF Express (Ancaster, ON) Jim Fletcher
>Fitzharris Transportation (Indianapolis, IN) Missie Brown
>FMT Inc. (Elk Grove Village, IL) Franco Mancinelli
>Frate Inc. (Hebron, KY) Wes Wesley
>GPSNet Technologies Inc. (Windsor, ON) Stuart Sutton,
>Shahbaz Khan
>JF Global Logistics (Elk Grove Village, IL) Frank Kinama
>Jons Contract Freight (Plymouth, WI) Jon Bartelt
>Journey Transportation (Fort Jennings, OH) Jim Spencer
>Jump Logistics (Cambridge, ON) Jennifer Hartman
>Jung Express (Milwaukee, WI) Tim Jung, Mike Sanders
>Laser Expedite (Mississauga, ON) Heidi Wilson, Ray Fontaine
>LB Transportation Group (Saginaw, MI) Dave Gerber, Tracy
>Zielinski
>Line Drive Transportation (Windsor, ON) Sean Grossett,
>Sharisse Guyton
>Miller Expedite (Franklin, IN) Cliff Gjertson
>Nations Express (Charlotte, NC) Bill Frazier , Terry Jones
>NLM - National Logistics Management (Detroit, MI) Chuck King
>Pinsky and Sandalis - Roy Pinksy
>PJ Smith Delivery (Canton, OH) Art Smith
>Premier Expedited Freight (Mineral Ridge, OH) Ronald Herman
>PT Express (Elizabeth, NJ) Scott Somsel
>Rapid Service Inc. (Greer, SC) Rollie Knoke, Sheila Knoke
>Rush Expediting (Dayton, OH) Murray Freeman
>Slipstream Expedited Services (Elk Grove Village, IL) David
>Wilsa, Simons Addo
>Superior Express (Milwaukee, WI) Tom Nieman, Chris Herro
>Superior Global Logistics (Troy, MI) Larry Carpenter, Edward
>T. Beres
>Tango Expedite and Logistics (Toronto, ON) Nick Balasingam
>Taylor Made Express (Milwaukee, WI) Chip Miller, April
>Castro
>The Expediting Company (Vandalia, OH) Terry Brady
>The Outbound Group (Romulus, MI) Karl Randolph, Paul Korbal,
>Pawel Poncza
>Transport Insurance Agency (Sylvania, OH) Andrew Gallegos,
>Rick Bonesteel
>Transport Trends (Romulus, MI) Mark Dixon
>Try Hours (Maumee, OH) Tim Wojkiewicz, Nicole Wojkiewicz
>Tyme-it Transportation (Louisville, KY) Bill Lavier
>Universal Traffic (Grand Rapids, MI) Steve Norman , Lamar
>Smith, Mary Buck
>US Expediting (Vandalia, OH) Michelle Dean, Lei Turben
>Walter McDougall International (Lancaster, ON) Tom Bellazzi,
>Bonnie Fraser
>Wikel Logistics (Lorain, OH) Jeff Wikel
>Zoomers (Grand Rapids, MI) Sherry Wilson
>
>there are hunderds more. not one of these people will give
>you freight everyday but you can get freight everyday from
>one of them
>you just have to be informed.
>
>the freight is always expedite and depending on your unit
>size
>cargo vans 1.00-1.30
>straight 1.50-2.00
>semi 2.00-3.00
>plus fuel surcharges.
>
>
>
>
>
>

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Absolutely not! If you had a 53' van, I'd say you have as good a chance as your work ethic. But there just isn't enough for a one van owner to stay in the black.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Agree with Hawk. You need a straight truck or tractor if you are going to attempt this. A van would have way too much DH and costs to turn a decent profit. If you go your own route with a van, I would look for a route or dedicated trip.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I have my own authority and one cargo van. It is working great for me.If you live in an area with some manufactoring that does some expedite loads you can make this work.I deadhead home after every run and still make good money.

mygroupllc

Expert Expediter
>I have my own authority and one cargo van. It is working
>great for me.If you live in an area with some manufactoring
>that does some expedite loads you can make this work.I
>deadhead home after every run and still make good money.

that is why I said 50% deadhead.I can see it working for a guy who has 1 van if he does it this way.but I wouldnt go into it thinking that your gonna be able to find backhaul freight for a cargo van.

just remember to devide your outbound rate by 2 if you get 1.30 per mile your really getting .65 per mile

but freedom isnt free is it.

its worth something just to know your in control and I find my personal life is alot better.I see my family more and keep my yard mowed and dont have to worry about having to upset someone if I dont want to go to utah.

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
First of all,THANK YOU for all of your replies Pro and Con about 1 van authority!! Fastrod,you say that you are doing pretty good with your one van.Where do you live to get freight? I live around Flint,Mi. How long with own authority if you don't mind me asking?And Mygroupllc,you say that you are kinda unsure about doing it this way.If you had your own van,would you be contracted with a co. or do it on your own? I respect everyones opinions and replies!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If I had my own van, I'd sign it on with Panther and look for my own loads under their authority. At least with their loads, plus the ones you'd find, you should stay somewhat busy.