Do i really need room for three pallets?

ZIGGY

Seasoned Expediter
Considering expediting as a second career, i spoke with sevral recruiters who tell me i should have room for at least three pallets but i can get by with less. I already own a regular size chevy van. What are my chances of getting freight with this type of vehicle?
The recruiter is trying to talk me into buying a sprinter. If a sprinter o/o were to stay out 5-7 days at a time, and not refuse any freight, how much could he expect to gross in one year? I would appreciate any input.

Thanx
ZIGGY

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Zig: A Sprinter is a van. Van freight in the expedited freight community is two 4'x'x4' pallets weighing no more than 2500 pounds. A sprinter, unlike a Chevrolet, GMC or Ford van, can carry three skids, but generally no more weight than another van.

If you are being courted by a recruiter than would like you to buy a Sprinter so that you can carry more skids or weight for van rates, then you will be hauling that extra freight at your expense and contributing to the cheap freight rates than none of us enjoy. If that carrier is willing to pay you a greater rate for carrying more than two skids than the standard van rate for that carrier, then that Sprinter may be a good investment for you.

Consider also, that expedite van operators typically have an adjustable sleeper capability that allows them to sleep with two skids, but must sacrifice the sleeper to carry three skids. If you are carrying three skids over a weekend, you should earn enough extra money to pay for a weekend of hotels.

Not everyone shares my opinion about van freight, so make sure you get several opinions before you commit.

With regards to your earning capability, you'll need to get advice from drivers that lease to the same company that interests you. Solo van owners that want to be home every weekend will not do as well as the flexible driver who follows the freight and gets home when freight gets hime nearby. Think $40-$80,000 depending on driving habits, selective load acceptance, carrier and your availability for freight, and experience.

Terry

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Terry,

Excellent reply. I must point out that Con-Way is the exception to the 2500# rule. They require a van to legally scale with a 3000# load. They actively solicit a "B" van rate at 501# to 3000# at at maximum length of 102".

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since you already have a suitable vehicle I'd try it out with what you have and decide if you want to stay with it. If someone were asking prior to purchasing I'd say better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Good luck to you.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
With a custom sleeper installed in our tall roof, long wheelbase Sprinter 2500, we are limited to about 2100 lbs, and 2 skids. We have never lost a load due to space restrictions, or because we couldn't scale it legally.

God Bless America