Do cargo vans even have any sort of future in expediting?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Who are the wrong and right carriers?! I know that is a real touchy subject around here. The fed and the cat are two code words. Haven't figured out the one for landstar. Enjoy your coffee!

I dunno. Wouldn't that be a great help if I did know that, with no uncertainty?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Easy peasy: the wrong carrier is the one that makes you mad more than happy, and the right carrier is the one that doesn't.
You notice the commonality: they're both going to make you mad at some point, lol. :p

True. We all fail on occasion. The more you do, as a business, the more opportunities you face to fail.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
True. We all fail on occasion. The more you do, as a business, the more opportunities you face to fail.

That appears to be a glass half full statement.....The more business you do, the more opportunities to get it right and succeed...:)

You get to an intersection: Left or right?.....
50% of the time you'll be wrong OR
50% of the time you will be correct?

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Oh, I know. My comments were sarcasm, in response to the notion that solo straights are soon to be a thing of the past. It's not like now, all of a sudden, dispatchers are for the first time having to deal with solos in straights and HoS.

I know you were being sarcastic. Advertising isn't cheap these days, so when you have a chance to grab some for nothing...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
That appears to be a glass half full statement.....The more business you do, the more opportunities to get it right and succeed...:)

You get to an intersection: Left or right?.....
50% of the time you'll be wrong OR
50% of the time you will be correct?

If one fails 50% of the time in expediting, they're best to get out.
Unless you count % of bids won.
That can be a very low percentage.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I started expediting in 1993. If some of the old timers remember the Roberts Express fleet exploded to 2,500 trucks by 1994. In 1995 there was a bump in the economy and the fleet started rapidly shrinking again (never to return to those numbers btw). Many said the days of van was over. Two decades later they're still here....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Except this one: I find it hard to drive while dessicated. ;)

I had a dessicated run one winter from Minneapolis to Fond Du Lac and return, 2-3 times a week. This lasted about 3 weeks before it dried up. When I got the news this run was over I was decimated and took to drinking,

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I started expediting in 1993. If some of the old timers remember the Roberts Express fleet exploded to 2,500 trucks by 1994. In 1995 there was a bump in the economy and the fleet started rapidly shrinking again (never to return to those numbers btw). Many said the days of van was over. Two decades later they're still here....

When I entered the business in '98 I was told I had made a mistake buying a van cuz they were on the way out. Any day now... LOL!!!