Distracted Driving

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Im watching the North American Auto show in Detroit and all the new car makers are touting the latest dash mounted gizmo, Facebook, Pandora, Google, Routing-Mapping, Security cameras, Internet access,Video Cams, Phone Hands free, etc etc etc...Now lets see theres how many Autos on Americas roads, and How many trucks...But Truckers who are professionally licensed and trained are being fined ridiculously for driving while trying to get directions to a delivery in Manhattan...yet the Auto driver can Google, make comment son Facebook, Play games, Watch DVDs, talk on the phone, apply makeup, read papers, do homework, oh and DRIVE THE CAR.....Then a question is asked DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE ILLEGAL TO TALK ON A PHONE SOON, answer....no the cats out of the bottle we just have to find a way to do it safer.

:eek:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
the fines to truckers have nothing to do with lowering the chance of an accident..they are nothing more the a way for TPTB to gin additional revenue....nothing more....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can't give much in details about this but Ford announced they will have a lane departure system in Taurus and other models that accroding to them will save lives (don't know how that is going to happen - read on). I took a drive in a car equipped with it and when it was announced at the Detroit dead pitbull and pony manure show at Cobo, no one thought to ask this important question - how is it supposed to work when they can't paint the lines on the freeway straight or maintain them?

I was driving the test car on 75, going down to Lima Oh and hit the 75/475 construction zone and the thing went nuts.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Good God theres not a city that doesnt have some major interstate repair/Destruction going on, I hope it comes with Roadside Assistance....LOL, Ive seen some really advanced windshield heads up displays that I cant understand WHY they havent been implemented, with all the gauges, MPH, etc all built into the outer edge etc of the windshield its a really great way to keep eyes on the road as well as the displays.....and can be turned off, or even used as tinted windows....Steering wheel controls, and even voice commands for Heating, cooling etc, its not far off...

moose

Veteran Expediter
I Liked the 'object in the blind spots detector' alert ...
you can now get it ... in a .... ready ??
... Toyota Camery . :D
how blind can you be to find blind spots in a Camery ?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My Volvo Truck has a roll over thing,if your going to fast around a curve,and truck start to lean,you can see air guage for brakes come on.The hands free is in the radio,but you cant voice operate to make call.Other than that,I have to admit, its the best truck I've ever driven.Didnt think I'd ever say that