distance record

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
This promaster is my 9th diesel van, the others have had either electric or mechanical fuel pump that were not in the tank. Im not sure but this one probably is in the tank. I have always run the fuel tanks down to nearly nothing, mostly to get any contamination be it dirt or water sucked up into the fuel filter. Maybe im right or maybe im wrong but i have not had any issues from it. i have always been of the mindset to run a full tank of fuel, i guess a holdover from the days of lawnmower gas; adding new gas to a partial can of old gas does not make the old gas better it makes the new gas worse.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This promaster is my 9th diesel van, the others have had either electric or mechanical fuel pump that were not in the tank. Im not sure but this one probably is in the tank. I have always run the fuel tanks down to nearly nothing, mostly to get any contamination be it dirt or water sucked up into the fuel filter. Maybe im right or maybe im wrong but i have not had any issues from it. i have always been of the mindset to run a full tank of fuel, i guess a holdover from the days of lawnmower gas; adding new gas to a partial can of old gas does not make the old gas better it makes the new gas worse.
I would check the price of fuel filters on the Promaster before going with that idea.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would check the price of fuel filters on the Promaster before going with that idea.
My last Chevy and my current Transit the fuel filter is integrated with the fuel pump and both are in the tank.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My last Chevy and my current Transit the fuel filter is integrated with the fuel pump and both are in the tank.
Wonder if it's a diesel, gas thing. My sprinter ff is like 160 bucks.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're right! I would think all diesels have an inline filter and not one in the tank.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would check the price of fuel filters on the Promaster before going with that idea.[/QUOTE]

They cost about $59, i replaced the 1st one at 80k miles and it looked clean. I was gooing to replace the 2nd one at 160k miles. but last week i had a couple tankfuls in the low 20mpgs and already had the filter on my shelf, so i changed it at 140k miles when i did the oil change. neither fuel filter seemed dirty or black looking to the eye. i feel my low mpg is related to the fuel in and around the memphis area. almost all of my tankfuls from there are lower in mpg than the fillup from elsewhere. I am an out and back driver from memphis. i find fuel in virginia and ohio to get me better mileage but that is another thread.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gas or diesel you are gambling when running the tank that low. A traffic jam, closed fuel stops, etc and you're SOL! So is the customer and carrier.

I have never had a problem, but yes it could be possible. Most of my running a tank low is on my way home

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I once did 800 miles on a tank in a 06 Sprinter 158. I had another one that I also did 760 miles and then ran out. I also did many 720 mile tanks. With current Sprinter I can't get over 650, must have the wrong differential.