distance record

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
yesterday I got 700.9 miles out of a single tank of fuel. This is a personal record for my van. I used 23.619 gallon for 29.7 mpg. The van is a 2014 Promaster 159" 2500 with a 3.0 liter diesel. I fill up in Gulfport MS went to Memphis TN and then to Athens TN. I was using Chevron fuel. I think I get better mileage on that brand. I had cruise control set at 58 mph and there was very little wind.

18556956_1494747627222782_7518884256377731560_n.jpg

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I really don't know, BUT I don't think it's a good idea for your motor\engine to run your fuel down to a gallon left in the tank.

Reactions: in-Transit

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I usually filled around half a tank. That was as far as I would go without a pit stop break or walk around break. Once in a great while maybe 1/4 tank or so. There's just no need to run an entire tank of fuel out in normal circumstances other than maybe once to test extra long range mpg.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And how many times have you jumped off the roof without breaking your leg?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I'm driving a vehicle with a fuel pump IN the tank (almost all gassers and some diesels) I would never regularly let it get super low. That fuel is the only coolant that pump has. On diesels...most of the newer common rail injection style engines have a fuel cooler on the return line. I know on my GM Duramax units the fuel temp will increase almost 75F between a full tank and a quarter tank...and thats with a cooler that is almost a foot square.

To the OP.....that is really great mileage...well done!

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Do you agree with me if in 774k miles my in-tank fuel pump did not grenade itself while regularly draining the tank past 1/4 it is not an issue, cooling or otherwise?

Like everything else, if it makes you sleep better at night, do it, but at least in my Sprinter's case it is NOT an issue.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you agree with me if in 774k miles my in-tank fuel pump did not grenade itself while regularly draining the tank past 1/4 it is not an issue, cooling or otherwise?

Like everything else, if it makes you sleep better at night, do it, but at least in my Sprinter's case it is NOT an issue.
Its not a matter of the fuel pump "grenading" itself. Its a slow process like deep discharge of batteries, riding the brakes, excessive idling, etc. I can't speak for Sprinters, but my first Chevy I went almost twice the miles as other expediters before replacing my fuel pump. I rarely went below a ¼ tank. I've stood next to idling Chevys and you could hear a high pitched whine from the fuel pump that was soon to be toast.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

That. Or just lucky like the guy who jumped off his roof 37 times without breaking his leg, so far.