Differential fluid change

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Hi
My question is, if the differential fluid change is really necessary on a cargo van. For example I have a Chevy van with over 500k and I never change the fluid ,no problem. Also I have a Ford E250 with 400k never change the fluid but now I have to replace the rear end . I know it is not hurting changing it but it is necessary ?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From my understanding all fluids break down over time causing a loss in their lubricating efficiency.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Mike, according to AmsOil replacing the drivetrain liquids will more then pay for itself in fuel-millage gain, in a really short time. more so in winter time.
not having the best quality synthetic liquid, can really increase drag.

http://www.bestsyntheticoils.com/

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
moose know his stuff depending on whats in it and what rearend it is will make a diffrence on service record owners manual bro try and do it religously it helps keep you diff and seals togeather and is much cheaper the droping an axel on the road

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Oil is cheaper than metal. Rear ends often have friction modifier requirements for lubrication
As well as anti foaming additives that do dissipate. Lubricants serve several purposes: lubricate, cool,
Suspend dirt, and transfer heat. If you want your oil to work as it is supposed to, give it a change per
The maintenance guidelines.

Scott

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hi
My question is, if the differential fluid change is really necessary on a cargo van. For example I have a Chevy van with over 500k and I never change the fluid ,no problem.
Usually, when people say "no problem", what that really means, whether they realize it or not, is, "hasn't yet blown up or otherwise died." :D

There may be all manner of problems that just haven't manifested themselves to those unaware of them.

Of course it's necessary to change the differential fluid, if you want the gear box to last as long a it can, and if you want to reduce heat, vibration and friction, all of which affect fuel economy.

The differential is the gear box, where gear meets gear to transfer the lengthwise flow of power from the engine through the clutches, transmissions, and propeller shafts into a right-angle direction. Proper differential fluid levels will reduce friction and wear and reduce shock and vibration. The differential gears are submersed in differential fluid to protect the moving metal surfaces from friction and wear. Normal driving subjects the fluid to high temperatures which eventually break down the fluid. Extreme driving, like towing or hauling heavy loads, only increases the heat and friction. The result is metal to metal contact and extremely high heat that eventually prevents gears from turning the car's wheels. You really don't want to wait that long, until the gears can no longer turn the car's wheels, before you label it as "a problem".

The vehicle's manufacturer recommends the interval for rear end gear oil changes, and it's usually found in the owner's manual. For a lot of vehicles the recommended interval is 30,000 miles. For others it's 50,000 miles or more. For the Sprinter it's 120,000. I usually change mine in the Sprinter around 80,000 miles.

One thing to keep in mind is, there isn't a single lubricating or hydraulic fluid on a vehicle that doesn't need to be changed out or replenished at some regular interval, being it engine oil, power steering fluid, transmission or gear oil, brake fluid, bearing grease (wheels, pulleys), you name it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also the oil in the differential on most vehicles lubricates the wheel bearings.

ghostrider

Active Expediter
Not only will changing to a good synthetic fluid increase milage and cold weather lubrication, dropping the cover gives you a chance to inspect the internal parts of the differential.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi
My question is, if the differential fluid change is really necessary on a cargo van. For example I have a Chevy van with over 500k and I never change the fluid ,no problem. Also I have a Ford E250 with 400k never change the fluid but now I have to replace the rear end . I know it is not hurting changing it but it is necessary ?

I use Amsoil diff fluid in my rear end and have changed it st 350,000 and 700,000 having had no problems st all.