DH miles

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Are you running flat rate per mile or a % of load pay?
When we ran flat rate we tried to stay at 20% but we will deadhead 95% if the load pays good enough.

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter
I have been keeping track of mine and I am at about 40% since December of 2006. Be thankful if yours is that low. Mine will lower and when I have to go too far I will get reimbursed for it. As others will tell you, you have to see what you will make per mile, whether you are paid per load or per mile.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Bubba Who in the world are you running with? 40%??? We are at somewhere 5-8%. Ya better check the Post Office out.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wow. 5%-8% deadhead in expediting? Is that even possible? Is that All Miles less Loaded Miles = DH Miles, or are your deadhead figures something else?

General trucking can vary wildly, but is usually less, but in expediting, 30% is a not a bad figure, about normal.

Of course, the higher your acceptance rate, the higher your deadhead is likely to be.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In discussions like this you need to keep in mind there are two kinds of DH. Company directed DH,and everything else. IE: Going Home,relocating,repairs etc.

This would account for one driver reporting 7% and another 40%.

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
turtle it is good to know I'm not getting killed on the DH miles.
redytrk that was all DH if they say do you I say I do worked with my wife should work here, but I will drive 50 miles to take a shower.
Thanks guys

WWW.Packing.org
ooida#811397

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Therein lies some of your DH problem. Probably, the DH for the shower will turn into 100 miles, because, your next PU may very well be where you were to start. Nature of the beast. Been my experience with folks, is that they shoot themselves, causing a lot of unnecessary DH.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
For the shower thingy, I try to shower mid morning or late night so there are no shower line, in and out in about twenty minutes. I also try to grab a shower on the way to the delivery. That way I am "fresh" when done with the load.

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
x06colo you were right they called had a job back up the road but it did not work out so I am still here, but I am clean and looking good and it is better to look good than fell good because if you feel bad you will get better but if you look bad no hope.

WWW.Packing.org

ooida#811397

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Saw a bumper sticker a few years ago:

I may be fat, but you're ugly, and I can always go on a diet.

My favorite bumper sticker of all time, though, was on the back of a pickup truck, and it can certainly be adapted for any vehicle:

I got this truck for my wife.
Pretty good trade, huh!

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I'd rather invest a few miles in a shower than go through life in a foul haze. It's bad enough being an old chubby guy as it is. I don't need to broadcast my presence by aroma therapy.
Vans tend to deadhead a lot more than the bigger trucks anyway. This year seems to be the poorest example of this fact. I have definately learned which areas to avoid with my current company. The problem with this is the cost in deadhead miles in the learning process. I would be ashamed to admit the percentage for the past year.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Precisely my point Maybe. If you are happy with your clean feeling, and didn't take advantage of a 30 minute break enroute to shower, help yourself to the DH. No problem. My point here is.. many will DH 50 for a shower and have no problem with that, but, ask them to DH 50 miles for work, and it's an issue. Many, many non paid miles can be avoided with some planning, and time management.