Devices to track truck & bus drivers proposed

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
From the St Louis Post Dispatch 3\14\13

Commercial trucks & buses that cross State lines would have to be equipped with with electronic devices that record how many hours the vehicles are in operation,
according to a government proposal Thursday aimed at preventing accidents by tired drivers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
EOBR.

Many are using them now, voluntarily.
Qualcomms mostly. Generally fleetwide.

Two major fleets that sell independence are slowly moving towards them. Landstar and Mercer.

My buddy at Mercer will get his next week. Someone in safety believes the common perception in the industry is those who resist at this point are just not ready to run compliant.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I was in Mexico and saw the most interesting Qualcomm-esq device. It was on a tour bus and it tracked the bus and changed the busses speed limiter per where we were. So when we were in a little town it dropped to like 50 or 60 kph and on the highway I think it was up to 105 kph. I thought the idea was interesting and that Mexico had this technology and we don't but I also hope they never bring that to the states. Also, the 6-speed standard tour bus was unique and provided a less than smooth ride. Made me really appreciate MCI and Prevost bus companies using autos in the US...

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was in Mexico and saw the most interesting Qualcomm-esq device. It was on a tour bus and it tracked the bus and changed the busses speed limiter per where we were. So when we were in a little town it dropped to like 50 or 60 kph and on the highway I think it was up to 105 kph. I thought the idea was interesting and that Mexico had this technology and we don't but I also hope they never bring that to the states. Also, the 6-speed standard tour bus was unique and provided a less than smooth ride. Made me really appreciate MCI and Prevost bus companies using autos in the US...
Thanks for sharing this. All you ever hear is the negatives about Mexico.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I had read that Freightliner/Detroit Diesel was working on a GPS -Cruise that would know there's a hard pull ahead and adjust without driver intervention.

Maybe getting ready for Phil's robotic trucks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
EOBR.

Many are using them now, voluntarily.
Qualcomms mostly. Generally fleetwide.

Two major fleets that sell independence are slowly moving towards them. Landstar and Mercer.

My buddy at Mercer will get his next week. Someone in safety believes the common perception in the industry is those who resist at this point are just not ready to run compliant.

The common perception is probably correct. The real question is: does compliant = safe? :confused:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oh yeah, a little safer is good - but a lot safer would be better. And we'd be a lot safer if the government put some muscle into persuading shippers & receivers to provide truck drivers with shipping addresses [not the mailing addresses we get instead] and to provide clear signage directing trucks to the proper entrance. Like the military facilities do.
There's not much that's safe about forcing truck drivers to focus more attention on finding the truck entry than on the traffic around them on busy highways. In the dark, when the 4 wheelers are in a hurry to beat the time clock.
FMCSA is all about compliance, and I don't believe it's safer for drivers to drive according to a time clock, as opposed to their own judgement. Compliance too often means driving when you're tired, and not driving when you aren't, and that's just nuts.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's the carrier/brokers fault for not getting proper address. Why bother ? You always get there eventually.

There's no real one size fits all approach to hos.

Give me 12 on 12 off x 7 and I'm good
That may not work for you.

For us teams, the split sleeper rule would be a big help.