Desk top computer in a truck?

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Qur TV has the ability to be used as a monitor which got me to thinking how well would a desk top work in a truck with all the vibrations and shacking?

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A few years ago my laptop died on me. While I was getting it repaired, I put my desktop in the truck. I didn't have any problems because it wasn't running when the truck was moving.

You are always taking a chance of the hard drive getting damaged when it is spinning while you are going over bumps. That's whether it is a desktop or laptop. I installed Cybertrucker's laptop stand in my truck and that helped reduce the bumping, but not the vibrations. So far, no problems with the laptop, though. I do regular backups to my thumb drive.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Qur TV has the ability to be used as a monitor which got me to thinking how well would a desk top work in a truck with all the vibrations and shacking?

Back a few tears ago when Lap Tops Cost a whole lot more than they are now I Used a Desk Top in my Truck and it worked real well. All of the Bumping and Bouncing didn't hurt it a bit. When I wasn't using it I placed it on top of a Pillow in that little Cubby Hole under the bunk along with the Printer then "Blocked" it in with a Milk Crate with extra Paper work and Blank Papers for the Printer.:D

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
The desktop could be used in a truck and even utilized while the truck is in motion although that is not really recommended. There are some industrial designed shock reduction cradles for the computers that are used in industrial applications that work rather well or design your own with foam and such. Make sure you leave airflow room around it etc. There are shock designed mounts for the hard drives as well so effects of running vibrations are reduced.

Most laptops come with the aforementioned shock and vibration reduction systems (different designs out there) so they are a bit easier to utilize than a desktop.
Rob

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ok maybe a little worry here. Having a lot of equipment in the truck, dropping a lot of it in the sleeper, I have yet has a hard drive fail on me, even with a few that have been running for 5 years in servers.

If one is to worry about the shock of the truck and so on, then maybe instead of going to all the problem of building a shock proof cage, just do what I did for a former customer. He had a carputer that was installed in a very hard riding 4X4 because he was so worried about shock, he would barely use it. I took a 160gb 2.5 laptop drive, got one of them external USB drive case and cut some used accostical tile (the foamy stuff) for the base of the drive case. Glued it on the bottom of the case, and then placed it inside a destop computer case with two tie wraps to keep it from laterally moving (fits perfectly). It was a simple solution for his worry, I think he has had now some 7000 hours on the box, and some of that is very harsh driving. The 2.5 drive is made for higher temps, and now with the 500gb version, it makes sense to use them.

nctrails

Seasoned Expediter
I would recommend using a Solid State drive. No moving parts = no vulnerability to shocks (at least not the drive). Go to TigerDirect.com and do a search on "solid state". You'll get plenty of hits and you can read more from there.

A more complete solution would be a "mobile" or "auto" PC. These often times don't even have fans (they use heat sinks instead). Desktop PC power supplies and fans can be fairly susceptible to shocks/vibrations so that's another reason to go with a unit that's built to be in a car. They are silent, lower power, no moving parts. There aren't many vendors that do this, but they can be found. Pair that up with a quality touch screen and you have a VERY low maintenance and durable solution for the truck

-NCTrails
(Fedex CC o/o)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a similar tv in the truck. I've considered a Mac Mini which would easily go from truck to house and just have a monitor/keyboard/mouse in the house too. Maybe next time around.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
The first half year we were in the truck, I had a desktop computer in our truck. The worries about the hard drive is a concern, but not as much as they use to be 10yrs ago. Internal hard drives are better made now days, especially for resisting vibrations and shocks from dropping. It is a concern still for when the hard drive is reading or writing for it to cause damage when it absorbs a fall shock. But, you would have to actually drop it from a high level or throw it.

Like some said, have it in a place or mount to something to keep it from falling over. Have cushion of some kind to absorb most of the vibrations that is coming from the truck. And the ones who doesn't have a TV that will connect to your computer. You can buy LCD mounts to install in your truck for LCD monitors. That is what we did and was able to extend it from the wall of the sleeper to use and put it back against the wall when not using it. Here is what mine looked like.

iC-Mounts-by-Chief-Small-Tilt-and-Swivel-Extension-Arm-Wall-Mount~img~IM~IM1013_l.jpg

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter

I know some video cards require lots of Wattage. That would be my only concern unless you might be running an apu most of the time. Does anyone know if an inverter would keep a steady amount of power to a graphics card? I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions here but it's something I'm wondering about.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's really the wattage of the computer's power supply that matters, as the graphics card can't draw any more than the power supply will give it. So, if the computer has a 250-Watt power supply, you have to assume that it could draw that much all the time, and size the inverter accordingly, in combination with everything else that's plugged into it.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
The other thing you have to worry about is what your inverter can continuously support. If you have a 3000+ inverter, you shouldn't have a problem at all, unless you have a bunch of other stuff running at the same time. Also, I noticed on particular inverter, don't remember the brand of it though, it wouldn't support the continuous wattage demand of a 450 watt power supply while idling, but would do it when running the APU. I might be wrong, but some inverters change their output when idling or running down the road from when your running a APU.

So, if your planning to use a desktop computer in your truck while going down the road, you might want to check out what the different options the inverter may cause in different situations such as that.

Other than that, I haven't checked into it to much any more since I decided to buy laptops instead.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The inverter problem that you are describing has to do with the power supply not the inverter. A lot of 'inexpensive' inverters are not true sine wave inverters and the a clean sine wave is needed to operate the power supply properly. It is the same with many switching power supplies, like laptops supplies that are claimed to fry HDs, they have problems dealing with the inverter.

To agrivate the issue, many power suppies that are made by some companies are so cheap that they can't even be repaired, they are throw aways.

My suggestion is simple, invest in a good 12 volt computer power supply from MP3car.com They have several that can handle being in a truck or a car.