Deflection and a hypocrite

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As I am sitting at home for reasons I can’t talk about and I am doing a lot of research on the green thing, you know that Global Warming thing. I been trying very hard to be on center with the issue learning what and what is not the facts but after watching (and reading transcripts) of the ALGORE Pelosi show yesterday, I am of the strong opinion that ALGORE needs to stop being a hypocrite.

I mean (and remember that I am trying hard to be on center with the issue) that I am getting tired of the many people who have been preaching don’t take the lead to lead by example. The one issue that bothers me the most is the Carbon Neutral that ALGORE has been claiming has been doing but refuses to get rid of his house, live a modest green-centric lifestyle and lead us to a cure for our so-called destruction of the earth.

Now I think that a wealthy person who has a need to get out a message that they are passionate about forsakes some things to get that message out, money. I know that ALGORE is making money off his little cr*pumentary, he has been cashing in on the fame and he even should have made the point that the Oscar was not important and refused going to the event and accepting the ‘prize’ just to make a statement – just like George C. Scott did.

But what has been so convincing evidence that he is not serious about the cause is watching in absolute amazement (but not surprised) was the absolute refusal of ALGORE to refused to take the “Personal Energy Ethics Pledge†during the hearing. To be exact he deflected the question with some stupid comment about setting standards.

The pledge;
As a believer:
• that human-caused global warming is a moral, ethical, and spiritual issue affecting our survival;

• that home energy use is a key component of overall energy use;

• that reducing my fossil fuel-based home energy usage will lead to lower greenhouse gas emissions; and

• that leaders on moral issues should lead by example;

I pledge to consume no more energy for use in my residence than the average American household by March 21, 2008.â€

Now if he was really really serious, he would have taken the pledge, sold his huge house(s) and lived as a normal person. But again it’s hard to be a tree in today’s world.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Greg,
I hardly think you are trying to stay centered on this issue.
Just the mere usage of the term ALGORE tells me you are a groupie of of that pompous drug addict that infects the radio waves from noon to 3 everyday. He is nowhere near the center of anything. Secondly,
how does Mr. Gore's acceptance of an award make a statement one way or the other? The fact anybody paid any attention to this film at all demonstrates that at least somebody is paying attention to something that could become a crisis and making an appearance at the Academy Awards, even if he hadn't won, helps to create awareness on the issue.As far as that silly pledge, well, C'mon...If you have spent even a minamal amount of time listening to this guy speak about issues that are important to him then you know how passionate he is on the subject. The guy wrote a book about how the internal combustion engine was going to ruin civilization for pete's sake!
Oh, and by the way, Who is to say what a big house is or what a small house is for that matter....and another thing...I believe you are a fleet owner,right? Well then how many trucks are out out on the road each day choking thick black smoke into the air while at the same time cranking out dollars into your pocket????Hmmmm? Between you and me I think Al Gore is a little too far to the left but I can't really get with your arguements here.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Greg makes a good point. If you are going to travel around "preaching the word"...you should also be living it. Take the pledge, Mr Gore.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Passion and performance are not the same thing. Many people are passionate about things and still only give lip service to them. Gore is a fair weather eco friend.

I suspect Gore's house would fall in the 90th percentile of opinion of large. Most of his Hollywood buddies probably consider it nice or charming or even cute compared to their behemoths. I doubt you'd find any true working American who wouldn't call it large. That said, it isn't a matter of who's to say what's large or small. The pledge he so carefully avoids says use the same amount as the average household. That isn't a subjective matter like large or small. That's a totally objective mathematical result. No pledge. Lip service only. Fair weather.

Gore would have made a definite statement by skipping the awards and refusing the statue. His full participation statement was "I'm in it for the personal recognition, the personal personal awards, the personal notoriety, the personal advancement. If he were most interested in the planet none of that would matter. Lip service only. Fair weather.

Gore isn't stupid. He's certainly ignorant as well as dumb but he isn't stupid. This is his specific hook back into presidential politics in 4 or 8 years depending on what happens next time.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
He's far from dumb. Maybe he's dumb to the point that we're all going to blindly listen to him, but as far as intellegence goes, he's about as smart as they come. Who is dumb here are the ones who actually listen to him seriously.

It's obvious Gore is a hypocrite. He uses 20x the energy a normal household uses. He's made his fortune (and still does) from a company he preaches against - Occidental Coal and Petroleum. Since he owns the company he buys his carbon offsets from, he's paying himself.

His followers are too smitten with his charisma to actually know they're being taken by this charlitan. The guy isn't dumb by any stretch; but his lemmings on the other hand...

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Letzrockexpress

“I hardly think you are trying to stay centered on this issue.
Just the mere usage of the term ALGORE tells me you are a groupie of of that pompous drug addict that infects the radio waves from noon to 3 everyday. He is nowhere near the center of anything.â€

Well first thing I got to say is that I am trying to remain center on the issue, not the person. I honestly think that his charade of many years has been slowly catching up to him and when he had the power, meaning senator and VP, he failed to move much on the issue. As for me being a groupie, which is somewhat offensive for some reason and I am not taking that personal by the way, just can’t figure out why. Oh could it be that the entire time in a month that I listen to Rush consists of maybe 5 hours – yes 5 hours a month, ok sometimes I am so bored I can extend that to 10 hours a month. My radio is either off when I am in the truck, listening to music or catching up on Air America propaganda. But my listening habits are not the issue, his hypocrisy is.

“how does Mr. Gore's acceptance of an award make a statement one way or the other? The fact anybody paid any attention to this film at all demonstrates that at least somebody is paying attention to something that could become a crisis and making an appearance at the Academy Awards, even if he hadn't won, helps to create awareness on the issue.â€

Ok, I made a mistake. It was not George C. Scott who refused the Oscar to make a statement, it was Marlon Brando, sorry. They both refused the Oscar, Scott because there was an underlying hypocrisy to the entire process and demeaning quality to be judged by your fellow colleagues in the profession of which I totally agree but Brando did it to protest the treatment of people of native descent in films. Many people may not remember the actor, but the refusal they remember. The point is this; that refusals make bigger headlines than acceptance and he could have driven home a point with “I decline this award until we do more for the environment†position. He is trying to convince people to change, not to make a fashion statement. Beside all of that, he has embraced the very industry that is the most destructive to the earth and the environment, of which is the one that can change the most but refuses to do so.

About the film, did you see it? I did, actually own a copy as a matter of fact. I think that it is not up to the quality in content or delivery as it could be, but I am critical of films like that. I just don’t agree with his position on many sub-issues, especially when you take in account the amount of energy that was used to make the thing in the first place. People should pay attention to the environment, but not pay attention to one person’s opinion (which it is his opinion) or an opinion of a government body like the UN.

With that said, I have to throw this in; when was the last time that a film became a must see in schools nation wide? I know that there is a lot of concern from parents who have kids forced to watch this film without an educated discussion but an emotional discussion. I heard from friends that their 5th grader was forced to watch the film not once but three times and than was handed a package with an assignment to identify things wrong with the US (not the environment) and in that package was a statement that the kids and all animals will all be dead in 20 years if nothing is done. Here is a kid who never had problems but now he and a few other classmates are having nightmares and serious problems with school and are all going into therapy. I would not say this if it was one kid but this is happening to, other schools with other kids have had this problem. The one thing that ALGORE said during the hearing something akin to Joseph Goebbels during the 30’s, basically stating that we (meaning our government) needs to have a “massive persuasion campaignâ€, which if you know anything about history Joseph Goebbels forced school children to watch films and discuss the horrible destruction that the juden was cuasing to Germany. Is there a similarity here?

“Secondly,
As far as that silly pledge, well, C'mon...If you have spent even a minamal amount of time listening to this guy speak about issues that are important to him then you know how passionate he is on the subject. The guy wrote a book about how the internal combustion engine was going to ruin civilization for pete's sake!â€

Silly pledge? Well let’s see; the point that Senator Inhofe was trying to make was this; if you are that concern about the issue, why don’t you practice what you are preaching? By taking the pledge, it would put gore on an equal footing with many people who actually practice what they preach, somewhat of a commitment to the cause.

As for his book, I don’t know if you are being sincere or sarcastic? I mean come on… ruin civilization?

“Oh, and by the way, Who is to say what a big house is or what a small house is for that matter....and another thing...I believe you are a fleet owner,right? Well then how many trucks are out out on the road each day choking thick black smoke into the air while at the same time cranking out dollars into your pocket????Hmmmm? Between you and me I think Al Gore is a little too far to the left but I can't really get with your arguements here.â€

Now you may be listening to too many dems and their talking points to understand that there is something wrong with a household of two people using 20 times the amount of energy that an average household uses. I already read the rebuttals, and truthfully I can’t see someone owning a 10,000, 20 room Mansion (that by the way is 10 times the size of my home with 17 more rooms and uses about 15 times more energy) telling me that I must conserve, I must change. Important, no I don’t think it is for him.

Yes I am a fleet owner, also used to own over 50 antique vehicles that had zero pollution controls on them. I am what you would call practicing what I am preaching, I try, repeat try to make sure things are not leaking and things tuned up, which means that I am not detrimental to the environment to the best of my controls. I use my used motor oil for other things like heat and energy and I used to but not have had the time, make my own bio-diesel out of waste oil (no not the cr*ppy heater/filter kit but actually processed it into a true fuel). I also strongly believe in being material neutral, not just carbon neutral. As for “on the road each day choking thick black smoke into the air†while making me money, that is none right now seeing I am at home for reasons out of my control. The Van is parked and not moving but still I am a fleet owner. But your comment I have to say is rather interesting; I mean “on the road each day choking thick black smoke into the air†actually according to many studies helps counter the effects of Global warming by blocking the harmful UV rays hence preventing the warming of the earth.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Ok, point taken on the size of the house...I don't really know how big Gore's house is though.I was not being sarcastic about the internal combustion thing...he really said that. I'm sorry to hear your van is sidelined. I have been sidelined myself for the last month (back on the road tommorrow though). I am not familiar with Goebbels philosophy but it sounds interesting. I am going to research it...maybe I'll learn something.
By the way, I think it was both Marlon Brando and George C. Scott who refused Oscars for one reason or another.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Letzrockexpress

“Ok, point taken on the size of the house...I don't really know how big Gore's house is though.â€
His house is over 10,000 square feet, I read numbers from 10, 200 to 10,900 – what ever it is, for two people is a big house.

“I was not being sarcastic about the internal combustion thing...he really said that.â€

OK, got it. Well I know that is what he said but he also said in 1994 that the need to reduce the paperwork in government is paramount and his government paperwork reduction act was just a ploy. The use of paper in government tripled in Clinton administration and the need for envelopes were so great that he pushed the use of non-US produced envelopes in government and I know of three manufactures that went out of business due to that.

“I'm sorry to hear your van is sidelined. I have been sidelined myself for the last month (back on the road tommorrow though).â€

Hey no problem, it just suc*s. I have been off for 5 weeks today and have to fax my DOT truck inspection stuff into FedEx to get back on the road. Hope you stay safe out there.

“I am not familiar with Goebbels philosophy but it sounds interesting. I am going to research it...maybe I'll learn something.â€

I took a class on journalism history and most of the class was about Hearst and his competitors, the changes in journalism in the 1910’s and 20’s with terrorism, Stalin and his control of the press, the Third Reich and the propaganda among others periods. Once you see what mass persuasion can do, you wake up to the cr*p from all sides that we are fed.

The amazing thing is you can take many of Goebbel’s theories that he practiced and taught, like indoctrination of the children through films and changes in what is taught and the systematic targeting of political opposition and apply them to today’s media, you will see a serious similarity between them, so serious that we are all on the short end of the stick. It is mind boggling that some that claim Bush has been using propaganda miss the point that much you read and hear are controlled by the media who filter everything and stymie speech which is a worst propaganda that the government can ever come up with, make sense?

“By the way, I think it was both Marlon Brando and George C. Scott who refused Oscars for one reason or another.â€

Yep you are right, as I said they both refused the Oscar, Scott because there was an underlying hypocrisy to the entire process that the Oscars represented and demeaning quality to be judged by your fellow colleagues in the profession of which I totally agree his position but Brando did it to protest the treatment of people of native descent in films. Many people may not remember the actor, but the refusal they remember. AND Brando did not refuse his 1953 Oscar for on the water front.