deer in the headlights

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Back in the early 80's I worked for a company called PAR Microsystems. I was their Director of Customer Service,the company manufactured cash register systems for the fast food industry and McDonalds was their chief customer. To condense this ,McDonalds put a tremendous amount of pressure to change the system from the traditional method that the clerk had to read and enter the item ordered. This was due to the inability of the store clerks knowing how to read and do simple math. We had to engineer the touch screen that then showed an image of the burger or fries etc so the clerks could punch in the correct order and get the price up.

Sometimes I wonder what has happened to these people that are essentially illerate,what do they do and what goes on in their lives.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
If this person is like me I cannot stand single dollar bills so I might have done the same to get a $ 5 dollar bill back instead of a bunch od singles..... Who knows though, maybe the 2 6's was actually it....;)

Leo, I'm confused. Why did you give her $12.00 for a $6.77 bill? Was a 12 dollar bill the smallest note you had? Or was it two 6er's.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Rich, just read the thread on here about panther advances. Should give you some reinforcement to continue to be amazed. Folks in all service industries need someone to fund them, help them work around their inabilities, or, whatever they need to be supported.
I am truly relieved that I no longer have to feel I need to "adopt" an associate to help them make a living.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
My uncle told me once he went in a gas station to get a snack and the electricty was out. He said he got a coke and a snack and took it to the cashier. She said she couldn't sale it to him because the electricty was out. He asked would it be ok if he gave exact change. She said sure, but she didn't know the exact amount. She said she knew the coke was one dollar even with tax and the snack was 77 cents with tax, but she didn't know what that would be together. My uncle said he tried not to laugh and he said it would be 1.77. She asked him if he was for sure or if he was trying to cheat her. He said yes he was for sure and no he wasn't trying to cheat her. That's what maybe 2nd grade math? At the most and a grown woman couldn't do it.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One of the best ones that I ever heard was that someone in NC printed up a fake $200 bill. This person then went to a Food Lion supermarket,bought about $37 worth of products, prsented the $200 bill , and the clerk gave him back $163.00 and "they walk among us".

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sometimes I wonder what has happened to these people that are essentially illerate,what do they do and what goes on in their lives.[/quote]

Rich, next time you are in a truck stop look around.

p.s. you misspelled illiterate.

tallen

Seasoned Expediter
And I was just critized last night by a friend who told me (I expect to much out of people) while describing something very close to this. "Brittney Spears for example" I do feel sorry for her just not forgiving. (I am also not forgiving when ones lives are a mess cause they cannot count there own change. Acutally the topic was on Drug use and how I am not forgiving.)

Like Several DUIs, are needed to give em a brake or the keys AGAIN?

Broompilot