December in Load 1 Nation

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
When they call me for a load, I sometimes have a tendency to just say "yeah" without really thinking it through.

Soooooo, I bring you Seasons Greetings from the natural gas fields 38 miles outside of Williston, ND.

IMG_0135a_zps5bi2zbv5.jpg

IMAG0287a_zpsntgeojqc.jpg

IMAG0289a_zpshpnkeq1m.jpg
I do that all the time. Dispatch calls with a load and I say yes without thinking. I had a load not too long ago that deliver in Alexander. Cool pics.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I did get another call after delivering in the oil fields. I was able to say "No" to that one without having to really think it through. It was picking up in a little town just south of Minot, a town of 331 people called Max, ND. I had just driven through it when I got the call, and the only thing I saw in the town was a large grain elevator. So I have no idea what it might have been. But it was going from Max, ND to Anchorage, AK.

I turned it down rather quickly because you have to go through Canada to get there, and I don't go to Canada anymore. When my FAST card expired I didn't renew it, and I don't have a passport. Not having a passport isn't a deal-breaker, though. It just means that I'll be delayed when coming back into the US while CBP officials determine my citizenship. That is actually pretty easy to do with a FAST card in my past and my birth certificate in my possession. However, the deal breaker was pretty much everything north and west of Saskatoon, including northern BC, the Canadian Rockies, the Yukon Territory...

...in December. :th_snowball_smiley

July or August, I'd have probably done it. At $4 a mile, it was tempting. But not in the winter. Newp.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I did get another call after delivering in the oil fields. I was able to say "No" to that one without having to really think it through. It was picking up in a little town just south of Minot, a town of 331 people called Max, ND. I had just driven through it when I got the call, and the only thing I saw in the town was a large grain elevator. So I have no idea what it might have been. But it was going from Max, ND to Anchorage, AK.

I turned it down rather quickly because you have to go through Canada to get there, and I don't go to Canada anymore. When my FAST card expired I didn't renew it, and I don't have a passport. Not having a passport isn't a deal-breaker, though. It just means that I'll be delayed when coming back into the US while CBP officials determine my citizenship. That is actually pretty easy to do with a FAST card in my past and my birth certificate in my possession. However, the deal breaker was pretty much everything north and west of Saskatoon, including northern BC, the Canadian Rockies, the Yukon Territory...

...in December. :th_snowball_smiley

July or August, I'd have probably done it. At $4 a mile, it was tempting. But not in the winter. Newp.

Now where is your sense of adventure!!!! :smiley_driving:

Reactions: Turtle

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
For me I want every load that we have in this company. It's sooo hard for me to say no to a load. My sister lives in HI and moving to AK in the summer. Hoping to get a load to the office soon so I can pick up my fast cards so when that time comes to AK and its in the summer I'll go.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The folks in Admin are pretty amazing.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I forwarded them the compliments. Dispatch hears good things but the other departments often fly under the radar.

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas Eve.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Of course, it's not just because they can get payroll done a day or two early, either. It's throughout the year. When little glitches pop up and you inquire about them, they're all over it, as if it's the most important issue they have that day. That's pretty amazing.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Of course, it's not just because they can get payroll done a day or two early, either. It's throughout the year. When little glitches pop up and you inquire about them, they're all over it, as if it's the most important issue they have that day. That's pretty amazing.

Holiday weeks are a big challenge that most people would not realize. Most companies simply push pay back and run on normal bank day cycles. But these ladies have managed to do what ever it takes and work overtime to get it crunched out and done ahead for the fleet.

Mistakes or errors will and do happen but they do a great job of getting these fixed and realizing and caring about getting it right quickly for the fleet.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Good morning and Merry Christmas everyone!

To our drivers and owner operators thank you for your dedication to professionalism and safety. Your loyalty to Load One and to providing our customers the best service in the industry is greatly appreciated. A special thank you to those drivers who are not home this holiday.

To our many customers thank you for your faith in Load One as your preferred transportation provider. We strive to continue to improve and to make 2016 the best customer experience yet. We know you have many choices out there, but thank you for choosing Load One.

To our great staff. Thank you for all that you do everyday including today. Our drivers and staff need support and coverage 24/7 and you provide it! You go the extra mile for both and it shows!

Lastly, thank you to our troops that protect our freedoms and allow us to celebrate great holidays such as today. While we are enjoying with our families today many of them are all over the globe defending the innocent and protecting our freedoms.

Thank you and God Bless!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK, I haven't seen it in the theater, yet. But I downloaded it off the Internet.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

It's not just awesome, it's beyond that. It goes back to the original Episode IV: A New Hope in many ways. In some respects it's in too many ways. It's a sequel wrapped in a remake. The the bad guy wears a mask, the orphan from a different desert planet has untapped special powers, somebody has a surprising dad, another alien-packed bar. Same Storm Troopers in the same uniforms, same Empire but it's been renamed the First Order, because it's gotta be named something, and the Rebel Alliance, now named The Resistance, are still using mostly the T65B X-wing Starfighters from 40 years ago. The First Order is using next-gen TIE fighters, tho. But wait, there's more! There's a new and improved Death Star, bigger, brighter, with more cleaning power. It has to be taken out.

Luke was training the next generation of Jedi when Darth Vader's grandson (Luke's nephew, so figure it out) killed the entire class, and because Luke felt responsible he went into self exile and disappeared. But the First Order wants him dead, because Luke is the last remaining Jedi, and thus the only thing that stands between them and galactic domination. A droid (BB-8) holds the star map of Luke's whereabouts, so the search is on for that droid, and the politically correct new version of new-Leia and new-Luke who are protecting it.

We don't see Luke until the very end of the movie, but it's an important and powerful moment, and perfectly sets up the next installment in this latest trilogy. It sets it up so well that I wanna see the next movie right now.

The real star of the movie is Daisy Ridley, who plays Rey. Like George Lucas before him, JJ Abrams hired mostly unknown actors for the lead roles in this movie. Most all of them went on to become major stars. Ridley will surely be another one. The movie is loaded with action, and humor, and populated by both the right familiar faces and new faces. The Force Awakens injects new energy into the former glory of the original. As much of a remake as it is, it's got enough new reboot and plot twists to make it exciting. It won't be a surprise if this movie tops $1 billion at the box office by the end of this opening weekend.

The real treat of the movie is watching Harrison Ford play Han Solo. He knows the parallels of this movie and the original are so blatant that he makes jokes about them. And they're funny.

The only thing I don't like about the movie, the reboot, if you will, is... at the end of The Return of the Jedi it was explicitly implied that they would all live happily every after. Well, at least Leia, Han, Luke, Chewie and the droids. This movie shows that none of that happened. Not even. Not even close. The First Order is squashing all hope, Leia and Han have been separated for many years because their son shot up Jedi Community College, Luke's an emotional hot mess, R2D2 is clinically depressed, C-3PO has a red arm, and Chewie is back to smuggling stuff on freighters with Han.