December at Load 1

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Good Monday morning. Back in Taylor after meeting in Dallas and then DC to be at Arlington. Reset has always been a tricky issue. Everyone wants a ton of different exceptions...many I understand. Then people complain it isnt applied fairly and evenly. Personally hoping to automate it and be done with it.

Reactions: DollarSign

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The best would be to get rid of the reset completely. That would be the fairest solution. No need for exceptions then, and no room for errors.

A couple of weeks ago I was number 1 and there was another truck in the area. I got an offer to California and I refused it since my truck is not legal in California. My hours were reset. I called dispatch and they reinstated my hours. But while this was happening the other truck got a great load (I know because I know personally the other driver and he told me). He ended up with a few other good loads after this load and I ended up with nothing the rest of the week, for no fault of my own.

Then the following week I got another automated offer to California. I ignored it since I couldnt legally do it and again my hours were reset with a message that the load was paying $3800. I decided just to let it go. Not worth the effort.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I agree with FlyingVan. If it's a good load I'm going to accept it. If it's a bad load I'm going to decline it. If I lose my hours so be it.
I just don't think we should lose our hours for declining a bid load unless we are going to be rewarded for accepting a bid load and then not getting it. Share the pain, share the gain.

Sent from my SM-T597V using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: RoadTime

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
One thing that bothers me is when I turn down a load and after I hit the decline button, I would like to be able to enter the reason for turning down the load and having the person knowing why I'm turning it down. I guess I could call but don't won't to tie up phones. Maybe dispatch doesn't need to know why your turning down the load? I don't know why I'm like this but it kills me to say no to a load. Don't know if this automated think will have that feature.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I understand that there are some cherry pickers who will decline a lot of loads, waiting for the big one. But a lot of us accept most of the offers. I think I'm around 90%. Maybe that should be a factor in deciding if hours are reset?

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I would say I'm 95% or higher on accepting loads and I think it's getting old from management and it sounds like it's going to be a black and white call, no gray.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One thing that bothers me is when I turn down a load and after I hit the decline button, I would like to be able to enter the reason for turning down the load and having the person knowing why I'm turning it down. I guess I could call but don't won't to tie up phones. Maybe dispatch doesn't need to know why your turning down the load? I don't know why I'm like this but it kills me to say no to a load. Don't know if this automated think will have that feature.
If you go online to FleetVision, you'll see they input a reason for you. They can read minds.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Its an age old topic. It was the drivers that actually came up with the system because of so many drivers trying to cherry pick. Then we run into the problem of every one has a number of reasons for exceptions. Some are valid in my mind....BUT then it goes back to that others will complain it isnt applied evenly. The reason for turn down is nice, but its a manual entry that really isn't looked at or used anywhere in the system. We may add it down the road, but we would need to add functionality to the system side to try and be able to do something with the data. Most say "personal reason". Not much to learned from that. We have it on the development list but we have a lot more critical ROI projects ahead of it. I do feel for the situation where a truck can't go to California. I know we can filter load offers based on hazmat and other factors. I don't think the system gives us a method to filter CA compliant or not. Its just a note field item currently. Again it is not a perfect system and I am not sure one exists but in general it has been good.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Monday morning...
Lebanon Missouri to Charlotte North Carolina... worse trip ever :rolleyes:
Heading East on I-64 out of St Louis, quickly turned into a episode from Ice Road Truckers o_O
It's been a good 12 years since I've seen these conditions. The Interstate completely covered in ice.
Why it was open was beyond me, it was insanity. I've never seen so many cars and semis in the ditch in all my life.
Lost a good 3 1/2 hours trying to get through this till the road became better. Making a long trip, even longer :rolleyes:

Woke up cold early Monday morning with the Espar not working again.
Apparently, the Espar needs more then the routine maintenance that I got on Friday :dash2:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll be home for Christmas....?

And the resets continue...
Looks like all 5 of us units in Charlotte area got our hours reset.

So are we separated by seconds now?
Can't see that getting screwed up :rolleyes:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Monday morning...
Lebanon Missouri to Charlotte North Carolina... worse trip ever :rolleyes:
Heading East on I-64 out of St Louis, quickly turned into a episode from Ice Road Truckers o_O
It's been a good 12 years since I've seen these conditions. The Interstate completely covered in ice.
Why it was open was beyond me, it was insanity. I've never seen so many cars and semis in the ditch in all my life.
Lost a good 3 1/2 hours trying to get through this till the road became better. Making a long trip, even longer :rolleyes:

Woke up cold early Monday morning with the Espar not working again.
Apparently, the Espar needs more then the routine maintenance that I got on Friday :dash2:
Hey Roadtime, I went through St Louis Sunday afternoon and into IA Sunday night. In St Louis it was a sheet of ice and the whole interstate was white. Everyone was doing 20 25 mph and US 61 was definitely not better. I had 430 miles to go Sunday and it took me over 12hrs to complete. Hate to hear about the Espar. You need that running, it's cold! I would take it back to them or to another Thermo King. Check with Brian or Ray at Espar. They should be around before or after Christmas.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Well on a interesting note. On my way to the office for the night cause I've got a morning delivery. The count down/starts on the van has happened and you only get 10? The older ones was 16. So after I drop in the morning I'll come by the office and drop off paperwork and head to the dealership and get this checked out and do some preventive maintenance. After this I'll have/need to be running to make this up, lol.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Good Friday Morning Load One! Well got the load off yesterday morning and came back to the office and stop by the safety. Seen everyone and glad I got to see Steve "SWTexas". As I was getting ready to head to the office a load alert came across going to OH. I took the run and after I drop I went oos and headed to Fort Mitchell. Here at the dealership and there looking at what's going on with the DEF system. Gave Mike a long list of things that I was wanting done anyway. Man it was a list, lol. After this is done the van will be like new again and should last another two years. Now you've got to remember, all I've done for the two years is schedule maintenance, except getting new tire a year or so ago. Stay tuned!

Hope Friday is a busy day and everyone is running!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Waiting to load in Salem, VA.

Can't complain about a pickup 2 miles away ;)

Delivers Monday to a undisclosed location.

Had this one going down to the last second before accepting. I have a doctors appointment on Monday.
It will be a little tight, but I think it will work out :rolleyes: