Death by DeSantis

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
So you are ok with living with high security wherever you go? I would rather live in a country that has no need for that.
One of my local schools put in metal detectors years ago because of gang fights and weapons.....they now also have 2 full time cops in that school.
Also do you not understand how many cameras are at every intersection now?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of my local schools put in metal detectors years ago because of gang fights and weapons.....they now also have 2 full time cops in that school.
Also do you not understand how many cameras are at every intersection now?
Some of those cameras that are mounted over the traffic lights are how the signals sense the cars to optimize the flow. But if you are talking about the ones to catch people who run red lights, we need more of them, seems like the rule here is 3 more cars after the light turns red.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Some of those cameras that are mounted over the traffic lights are how the signals sense the cars to optimize the flow. But if you are talking about the ones to catch people who run red lights, we need those more of them, seems like the rule here is 3 more cars after the light turns red.
I know one of the guys that service those cameras....the cameras are very detailed they can take colored pictures.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DeSantis Update

Two Valid points raised by this opinion writer:

(1) "It seems the governor might want to focus less on the question 'How can I stop wokeness?' and more on "Why do I keep losing to someone who keeps getting arrested?'

(2) "People like Disney a lot more than they like DeSantis. ... A new Navigator poll found that over the past year, Disney’s net favorability rating dropped only 1 point, with 63% of Americans having a favorable view of the entertainment giant. ... The same poll found that since November, DeSantis’ net favorability has fallen 16 points, with 32% of Americans having a favorable view of the man ...”

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
DeSantis Update

Two Valid points raised by this opinion writer:

(1) "It seems the governor might want to focus less on the question 'How can I stop wokeness?' and more on "Why do I keep losing to someone who keeps getting arrested?'
This opinion writer is offering his far-left opinion from his position on USA Today, a notoriously liberal member of the mainstream media. With that in mind -
(a) "Wokeness" is one of several DeSantis key talking points because it's important to the vast majority of Republican voters. There's a reason people are repulsed by drag queen demonstrations at a Dodgers baseball game and Bud Light promotions featuring a creepy transgender character. The woke agenda being promoted by the Democrats is not popular among most Americans, especially traditional two-parent families.

(b) DeSantis is behind in the polls for two primary reasons: Trump is getting an enormous amount of free publicity from the media courtesy of the Biden administration and its weaponized DOJ. Considering his already established record and name recognition, no one can compete with that at this point in time. Also, the never-Trump vote is being split between 10 other GOP candidates right now. However, it's still early.
(2) "People like Disney a lot more than they like DeSantis. ... A new Navigator poll found that over the past year, Disney’s net favorability rating dropped only 1 point, with 63% of Americans having a favorable view of the entertainment giant. ... The same poll found that since November, DeSantis’ net favorability has fallen 16 points, with 32% of Americans having a favorable view of the man ...”
People may still like Disney, but not so much as a year ago before they launched their woke agenda. They haven't done themselves any favors by trying to indoctrinate children through their woke programming. They also aren't getting slammed every day by political opponents and the mainstream media. The favorability comparison of Disney and DeSantis is apples and oranges.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The favorability comparison of Disney and DeSantis is apples and oranges.
OK. So let's do apples to apples such that the apples are the 100 companies named in the Axios Harris survey (A very interesting survey, I might add. I have not seen this before.).

I asked Google's Bard (AI app) to give me a list of the top-10 "woke" companies. Bard replied: "The term 'woke' is often used to describe companies that are seen as being politically or socially progressive. These companies may take stances on issues such as racial justice, LGBTQ rights, or environmental sustainability. ... here is a list of the top 10 woke companies in 2023, according to a recent study by the Good Business Institute:"

In the lists below, I added the company ranking from the Axios Harris survey. The ranking is 1-100 with 1 being the top-ranked. The companies that were not ranked, are not ranked simply because survey respondents were not as aware of those company names as they were aware of the 100 that were ranked. Respondent awareness determined which companies made the top-100 Axios Harris list.

Woke Company Name/Survey Rank

1. Nike/21
2. Target/53
3. Ben & Jerry's/Not Ranked
4. Patagonia/1
5. Starbucks/48
6. Adidas/22
7. Apple/10
8. Disney/77
9. H&M/Not Ranked
10. Levi Strauss & Co./Not Ranked

Average Ranking of 7 ranked woke companies: 33.1

While there is no clear way to define "non-woke" companies, Bard did provide this: "... here is the list of the top 10 largest for-profit businesses that are politically or socially conservative, ranked by company size:"

Conservative Company Name/Survey Rank

1. Berkshire Hathaway/Not Ranked
2. Koch Industries/Not Ranked
3. Exon Mobile/Not Ranked
4. The Blackstone Group/Not Ranked
5. The Carlyle Group/Not Ranked
6. Fidelity Investments/29
7. Cardinal Health/Not Ranked
8. Wallgreens/39
9. Chik-fil-a/5
10. Hobby Lobby/68

Average Ranking of 4 ranked conservative companies: 35.3

Worthy of note: Of the 100 companies ranked by Axios-Harris, the company that ranked dead last was The Trump Organization.

To do a true apples to apples woke/conservative comparison, it may be better to use surveys that focus specifically on that question. The Axios Harris survey is a brand-reputation survey that asks people about a number of company attributes, only a small portion of which apply to the woke/conservative question.

The problem is, surveys of that nature incorporate the values of the survey creators. A company is "ethical," "socially responsible," "woke," "conservative," etc. depending on the survey creator's definition of those terms. A company may be seen as ethical because it opposes unions or it may be ethical, depending on one's point of view.

Back to the point you originally raised, while it is clear the Disney reputation declined in the Axios Harris survey, only a small portion of that decline was due to the company's political attributes. Non-political factors also contributed to the decline. It is misleading to focus on a tiny portion of the survey data to conclude that Disney's reputation decline was due mostly to being "woke." That's simply incorrect.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Disney’s favorability has declined because of their woke agenda that many disdain.
DeSantis’s favorability has dropped because of the Trump campaign’s attacks and the perception that he has made numerous political missteps. Plus many don’t like that D has decided to run against Trump.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Ok so at least he is honest about the department of education, the rich want to keep the poor ignorant, so this is no real surprise.

The department of commerce, well that will help bigger business, thats for sure.

The department of energy, do you want for profit corporations that run nuclear power plants to not have the DOE to answer to? That is an accident waiting to happen.

And last but not least, the IRS, no surprise here, if you eliminate the IRS how are we going to pay any of our bills?

I want to know what he is smoking to come up with this garbage?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
And last but not least, the IRS, no surprise here, if you eliminate the IRS how are we going to pay any of our bills?

I just checked. The Florida Department of Revenue still exists.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter

Ok so at least he is honest about the department of education, the rich want to keep the poor ignorant, so this is no real surprise.

The department of commerce, well that will help bigger business, thats for sure.

The department of energy, do you want for profit corporations that run nuclear power plants to not have the DOE to answer to? That is an accident waiting to happen.

Lol the department of energy is a joke.....how many nuclear power plants have gone boom here in the usa.
The department of transportation is even more of a joke with this fool pete buttigieg his only saving grace is he showed up to east Palestine, ohio.
And honestly the irs could disappear tomorrow and I would not shed a tear.

Reactions: muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Monday Night Football Hit by ESPN Layoffs as Steve Young, Suzy Kolber Get Walking Papers
Monday Night Football Hit by ESPN Layoffs as Steve Young, Suzy Kolber Get Walking Papers

View attachment 22594
A bit of context.

Per Google Bard, the 7,000 number is layoffs worldwide. Disney's worldwide workforce is 220,000. Thus the percentage of workforce laid off is 3.18%. It's hard to compare this number apples-to-apples to other companies because Disney is so vast. It has theme parks, so you can compare those to Six Flags. It has video streaming so you can compare that to Netflix. It has a cruise line so you can compare that to Carnival. It has a sports network so you can compare that to ABC Sports. But since no other company has all of these, and since the 7,000 number is not broken down by division, no accurate comparison can be done.

That said, layoffs are a common occurrence in big businesses these days.

Regarding other indicators of financial health, the numbers below refer to same time period to same time period; i.e. 1st quarter of each year shown, or YTD.

Its stock price is up 0.34% year to date.
Magic Kingdom visits are up: 63.6 million in 2022, 65 million in 2023.
Market cap grew in 2023 to $163 billion, up from the $158 billion number in 2022.
Annual sales are up. 2022 annual sales was $82.58 billion. 2023 annual sales are $86.98 billion.
The Barchart.com survey of 22 stock analysts shows DIS as a "Strong Buy" recommendation.

There are lots of ways to slice and dice a large company's numbers. In the context of this thread, it's worth mentioning that the ongoing DeSantis/Disney feud has not stopped Disney's financial growth.

Regarding Disney's popularity, "One poll, conducted by Morning Consult in March 2023, found that Disney's favorability rating among adults in Florida had declined from 62% in January 2023 to 54% in March 2023. However, another poll, conducted by the Pew Research Center in April 2023, found that Disney's favorability rating among adults nationwide had remained relatively stable, at 63%." (Bard)

Regarding DeSantis's popularity, Morning Consult put's DeSantis's favorability rating at 54% in 2022 and 46% in 2023.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A bit of context.

Per Google Bard, the 7,000 number is layoffs worldwide. Disney's worldwide workforce is 220,000. Thus the percentage of workforce laid off is 3.18%. It's hard to compare this number apples-to-apples to other companies because Disney is so vast. It has theme parks, so you can compare those to Six Flags. It has video streaming so you can compare that to Netflix. It has a cruise line so you can compare that to Carnival. It has a sports network so you can compare that to ABC Sports. But since no other company has all of these, and since the 7,000 number is not broken down by division, no accurate comparison can be done.

That said, layoffs are a common occurrence in big businesses these days.

Regarding other indicators of financial health, the numbers below refer to same time period to same time period; i.e. 1st quarter of each year shown, or YTD.

Its stock price is up 0.34% year to date.
Magic Kingdom visits are up: 63.6 million in 2022, 65 million in 2023.
Market cap grew in 2023 to $163 billion, up from the $158 billion number in 2022.
Annual sales are up. 2022 annual sales was $82.58 billion. 2023 annual sales are $86.98 billion.
The Barchart.com survey of 22 stock analysts shows DIS as a "Strong Buy" recommendation.

There are lots of ways to slice and dice a large company's numbers. In the context of this thread, it's worth mentioning that the ongoing DeSantis/Disney feud has not stopped Disney's financial growth.

Regarding Disney's popularity, "One poll, conducted by Morning Consult in March 2023, found that Disney's favorability rating among adults in Florida had declined from 62% in January 2023 to 54% in March 2023. However, another poll, conducted by the Pew Research Center in April 2023, found that Disney's favorability rating among adults nationwide had remained relatively stable, at 63%." (Bard)

Regarding DeSantis's popularity, Morning Consult put's DeSantis's favorability rating at 54% in 2022 and 46% in 2023.
DeSantis’s favorability has declined overwhelmingly due to his presidential candidacy against Trump.

Reactions: danthewolf00

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DeSantis’s favorability has declined overwhelmingly due to his presidential candidacy against Trump.
I would say his favorability decline is due to Trump's savaging DeSantis in typical Trump fashion, and due to DeSantis's anti-woke agenda, which is out of step with the majority of voters and becoming more widely known as he touts his views nationwide.

• Haha

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I would say his favorability decline is due to Trump's savaging DeSantis in typical Trump fashion, and due to DeSantis's anti-woke agenda, which is out of step with the majority of voters and becoming more widely known as he touts his views nationwide.
The whole woke agenda has made bud light a laughing stock and now last I heard they lost close to 20 billion dollars in sales....target is close to that amount.
American isn't woke......the crazy's are in charge now so expect more stupid and crazy things to come .

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The whole woke agenda has made bud light a laughing stock and now last I heard they lost close to 20 billion dollars in sales....target is close to that amount.
American isn't woke......the crazy's are in charge now so expect more stupid and crazy things to come .
Their crazy agenda is trying to drive this country to be more “woke”. Look how much money corporations are pumping into it . They are realizing the backlash when people don’t want this shoved down their throats. They’re losing business.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many Trump supporters also like DeSantis as Governor. They didn’t want to see D run right now and were turned off by him going forward with it. Trump campaigning against him had some effect. People also see DeSantis as disloyal for running when Trump is still overwhelmingly popular. Trump helped him win his primary and governorship. Without his endorsement he would have very likely lost. DeSantis could have merely waited four years to run for president, but he listened to his handlers that counted on Trump not being able to run due to the witch-hunt prosecutions.