Deadhead

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I wanted to know how many of you find that you deadhead more for loads these days? Do a lot of you just suck it up and if it's under 30% you do the deadhead for the load? What is everyone's reasoning? Do you feel like it's not worth the time it takes you and you don't profit except getting the fuel surcharge? Mind you, I'm not an owner so sometimes the smaller loads that require deadhead don't pay me as much. I do pay fuel however.

I'm just curious because I've noticed for the past few years that I've been asked to do a LOT of deadheading. Back when I started expediting it seemed we never had to that much. Back then, 70-120 miles was far. I'm talking deadheading over 150 miles most of the time. Several times a week.

Thoughts?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Deadhead happens more so when it is slow.....dispatchers are stretching your truck out as far as they can to get you rolling......30% is a tad on the high side.....but you should have an ALL MILES rate..in your head to meet your profit margin....doesn't matter about deadhead...if you are getting your rate....it doesn't matter if you are loaded or empty that way....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is much more to deadheading than just accepting because it is below a certain percent of miles. Does it go to a good area, a better or worse area than I am now, what time of day is it, what day of the week is it, do I already have good miles for the week so I can take a chance on going there, what does the overall rate per mile work out to. It is a lot to run through your head in a short time. A load I might accept at 8 in the morning I might not accept at 3:30 in the afternoon.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is how we look at it. From pickup to drop to the next location drives that number.
We just had a truck yesterday DH 600 for a 500. Full rate on all miles from start to finish.
We look at the whole thing whether there is freight on the truck or not.
Fuel is close to the same cost loaded or empty.
Remember, "businessman first, driver second".

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I see what you mean. It seems like almost all of the time we are asked to DH what I consider a little too far. Wasn't sure if it was industry wide or a carrier based issue. I know that sometimes an industry can change and I'm willing to accept change if that is what is required, but I want to make sure it's not just that the carrier doesn't have sufficient freight to get you loads from close to where you empty. Being that I don't own the truck, I can't move the truck, but I could move myself if needed, lol.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
That is how we look at it. From pickup to drop to the next location drives that number.
We just had a truck yesterday DH 600 for a 500. Full rate on all miles from start to finish.

I will do that with no problem, I've negotiated that before. If the carrier will pay all miles the same when it's just ridiculous otherwise, I have no issues with that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see what you mean. It seems like almost all of the time we are asked to DH what I consider a little too far. Wasn't sure if it was industry wide or a carrier based issue. I know that sometimes an industry can change and I'm willing to accept change if that is what is required, but I want to make sure it's not just that the carrier doesn't have sufficient freight to get you loads from close to where you empty. Being that I don't own the truck, I can't move the truck, but I could move myself if needed, lol.

that is the thing...and when you find out let us know.......where the loads are when you are there.....can be tricky....LOL

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Remember, "businessman first, driver second".

600 mile DH for a 500 Mile load @ full rate all miles. There is no DH is there? They got full rate for 1100 miles. I don't think they would have taken it @ 500 miles paid? New folks need to know this stuff. Full rate? :cool:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
600 mile DH for a 500 Mile load @ full rate all miles. There is no DH is there? They got full rate for 1100 miles. I don't think they would have taken it @ 500 miles paid? New folks need to know this stuff. Full rate? :cool:

exactly Edster...a paid mile is a paid mile......no DH there

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

What is your cost to deadhead, what is revenue? Would you spend 100 bucks to make 1000?

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I find that we have long deadheads on loads going to Canada or hazmat. Trouble finding willing drivers for these loads ?

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
you mean getting out of Canada when load is done?

Sorry, should have stated that better. Long deadheads for runs going to Canada , or hazmat are not unusual in my team Fxcc straight. But we always get paid for all miles. DH miles are not a separate lower rate.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We deadheaded from North Bend, WA to Tonopah, AZ , 1386 miles to take a load to PA, 2183 loaded miles. The all miles rate made this a very profitable run.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
We deadheaded from North Bend, WA to Tonopah, AZ , 1386 miles to take a load to PA, 2183 loaded miles. The all miles rate made this a very profitable run.

I'll bet you jumped for joy when you got that one ! Holy cow.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We only did 6 loads last month. 15,400 total miles in 27 days from home to home.

ontheflyjay

Active Expediter
Well if you get paid for all miles then it is not DH.

DH is where they call you and say anything over 75 miles we will pay you X amount after.

I have worked for some compines that would try to give me loads like DH for 275 miles for 175 mile run.

Not good and if you didn't take it they would put you down on the bottom of call list and you

would sit there for 2 or 3 days and then still try to give you bad loads. Like I said I worked for

them not anymore tho..... LOL

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I dont really concern myself with DH miles, its whats paid for all miles driven that matters...I am paid on a % of what the load payes...no break out for what the DH pay is...it doesn't matter...when everything that Xiggi mentioned is taken into affect, and the rate is given, i'll make the decision based on that....Miles are miles...Oh,but mine are no where near 30%....

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Well if you get paid for all miles then it is not DH.

DH is where they call you and say anything over 75 miles we will pay you X amount after.

I have worked for some compines that would try to give me loads like DH for 275 miles for 175 mile run.

Not good and if you didn't take it they would put you down on the bottom of call list and you

would sit there for 2 or 3 days and then still try to give you bad loads. Like I said I worked for

them not anymore tho..... LOL

Maybe with your carrier. :)

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
We recently dead headed a little over 500 miles from the house in OH to do a 10 mile run in NC. We were happy with the pay, and it put us in a good location to start the week. Just really depends on the situation. We look at total pay and total miles, then location.