Dead heading home

Stranded

Expert Expediter
Is it normal in this buisness to take a D-load out 500 miles then have to dead head home all the time? I don't realy care if I stay out a few weeks but the only place i get loaded is out of detroit/flint. Im about done with these guys and want to avoid one way trips again so what other companys operate like this so I know who to avoid? i don;t like being Stranded any more.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
No, it's not normal to do that. If your company can't get you a backhaul, you shouldn't keep going to that area. I had the same problem with East coast runs, and stopped doing them. But since changing companies, I'm learning their zones somewhat, and don't have a problem moving again as much. Best thing for you to do is figure out where your freight zone is, and stay within it, or bug the hell out of them to start getting you backhauls.

beenthere

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Is it normal in this buisness to take a D-load out 500 miles
>then have to dead head home all the time? I don't realy care
>if I stay out a few weeks but the only place i get loaded is
>out of detroit/flint. Im about done with these guys and want
>to avoid one way trips again so what other companys operate
>like this so I know who to avoid? i don;t like being
>Stranded any more.

Honestly, I don't think you have given us enough information to give you a good answer. My questions to you would be:

1. Where do you live?
2. How often are you in service?
3. How long do you sit (at the end of the load) before you dead head home?
4. What is your acceptance rate like?
5. Why are you deadheading home and not to another hot freight area?

As far as the other advice about a company gettting you a backhaul in a straight truck (or cargo van for that matter) it ain't going to happen. If it would happen it would be so rare that it wouldn't impact your bottom line.

Most companies I know have deadhead pay that they will pay you to relocate if you are in a dead area. If what you say is true (that the only place you get loaded out of is detroit) 500 miles from detroit should leave you in fairly good expediting freight lanes (typically). I am assuming you are a single driver. After the 500 mile run, you will be shutting down to get your time back, do you go out of service during that time? Or is your company aware what time you get your hours back? My advice to drivers (especially during the slower times of year like now) is to stay in service and ride your position up on the board. There are alot of other hungry expediters out there who are willing to stay in service, so you have to also.

You should be deadheading somewhere (realistically) around 30 - 40% of your total miles. It's the nature of the expediting beast. yeah, .40 - .50 a mile deadhead don't sound like much but it really comes down to what your total pay per total mile is in the end.

Suprisingly, those DH miles (the paid ones) add up and can make the difference between success and failure during the slow months.

Just my .02....

Stranded

Expert Expediter
>>1. Where do you live?
>>2. How often are you in service?
>>3. How long do you sit (at the end of the load) before you dead head >>home?
>>4. What is your acceptance rate like?
>>5. Why are you deadheading home and not to another hot freight area?

I live in Flint Mi, I'm in service 24/7, I usually sit for 12 or 14 hours or so to sleep, rest and for log book but i used to sit over two days before I finally just went home, i wont wait that long anumore and i get tired of calling them all the time for a load. i've only turned down a few loads in the last 10 months because they were to short, but i still take short ones to. They don't have "another hot freight area" if they did i"m sure they would tell me where to go instead of expecting me to come home.

I drive for a o/o and always ontime. its his fuel that i burn for return trips and fuel price is going to get even higher. HE just says thats the way it is. Other drivers tell me there is alot of deadhead and they go deadhead home often too from other companys but 50% deadhead all the time is over doing it too, like you said.
I thinkit costs abot 22 cents per mile just for fuel and i'd be happy to get that, better than nothing and even pays me at least something. they are saying fuels going up to over $2.50 and look for $3.00 gallon fuelbefore the end of summer. GLad i don't own the truck, in a few months i might try applying at a few other companys but want to avoid leaving this one for another one just like it so i may stay right here maybe.

plumcrazy8

Expert Expediter
I'll tell ya what, camper -- I would work for that outfit just long enough to pack up my stuff and find a job at McDonald's! STOP IT! You live in one of the hottest spots in the country for XP freight. NObody gets "stuck" in the Detroit area!

Sounds to me like you and your boss have a local LTL freight company -not an expedited freight company.

Unless I missed it you still didn't say how long you will stay out on the road? I live in Minnesota and am gone for 3 to 8 weeks at a time. Most of my last month out was spent running like a yo-yo from Ohio to the Carolinas to PA and NY State. I was in those hills and mountains so long that now one of my legs is longer than the other one! My point is that the freight is everywhere. Ya gotta stay out if yer gonna make it.

Good luck to you, but find a better way to work!

miko

Expert Expediter
Hold it, hold it.
Not all of us are as lucky as some who can stay out for weeks in a row and get swamped with loads untill they come out of their ears...

It all depends where the company has the connections.
Last week for example I got e few short runs between Cinncinati and Indianapolis. Turns out that the shipping co. usually uses company X, but used mine since it was cheaper. Go Figure... Me and my business partner ran a few of those runs untill saturday. For my partner even better, since he lives in the Cinci area. Most times I get a load out of Lafayette/IN to Chicago at least. But then I dead head home from Chicago, if I don't get a short run out of Milwaukee, since I live up north.

Another cenario: Last year I ran Detroit so much, with no backloads. But deadheaded to some other locations in MI to catch loads out of there. Thing is, Detroit is swamped with EX companies, you name them, and chances are, the big name companies get the loads faster than you can blink...My company probably does not have the right connections, and so is it with other companies as well who let their drivers sit and don't find them backloads.

Dispatch tells me, sit there at least untill afternoons when it gets busy. Companies want their crap shipped out by then. If nothing by 5pm, get outa there. Usually dispatch tells me where the good spots are and if its worth to hang around or not. Usually I don't hang around over the weekend at some place, unless it's the south and I can do something with my time.

I believe, one has to figure out what is most important, TIME HOME, or TIME OUT. Every company is different. Mine works fine for me, I admitt, I could use some more backloads, but my company improved big time, since I get alot smaller runs to and from headquarters, cuts down on deadhead big time, due to new dispatch.

Stranded

Expert Expediter
Getting loads going out of Detroit is not the problem. I can always get loads out of mi. that is not the problem. I always get loads going out of mi. that is the easy part. Detroit seems to have it made in the shade when it comes to out bound freight and i always can get something going out of mi, thats not the problem. Detroit is excellent for all thatt but, incase you missed it plumcrazy8 i"ll say it again, that is not the problem.
I can stay out for 3 to 5 weeks then take off a few days but i never get loads except for out of detroit and once i get a year in i want to try some other company that won't be sending me on one way trips for every load and i don't want 40 mile trips either. I prefered to run long runs but only if i know i will get another run once i get there without having to much deadhead.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Uh oh

Out of Flint ? Your company got a load due to cheaper rates ? I hope you're not driving for the notorious All Types

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Im an expediter out of Detroit. You are only about an hours drive North of me, being in Flint.

Detroit has got to be in the top handful of expediting hot spots in the country- look at all the plants in the Metro area.

You should have no problem going anywhere in the midwest, and possibly East coast, without getting a load coming back to Detroit. It would be no big deal to deadhead home to Flint from there; I do it every time I come back- I live out towards Lansing.

The only thing I can say is that this time of the year is historically pretty much dead. February that is.

Even coming back from Christmas vacation, the stuff was hitting the fan, but after about the first week of February, there was a noticeable stoppage of expedited freight moving around. I am only speaking for the automotive freight, as that is my primary work.

Things are springing back into action in my opinion. I went from a couple local loads a couple weeks ago, back to going all over the midwest just this past week. If you can not do any better than what you have been getting, dont wait past March to change companies.

There are plenty of Expediting companies in Detroit, so you are in good shape.

Good luck!

Scott

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Getting loads going out of Detroit is not the problem. I can
>always get loads out of mi. that is not the problem. I
>always get loads going out of mi. that is the easy part.
>Detroit seems to have it made in the shade when it comes to
>out bound freight and i always can get something going out
>of mi, thats not the problem. Detroit is excellent for all
>thatt but, incase you missed it plumcrazy8 i"ll say it
>again, that is not the problem.

:7 Let me see if I get it right. Work with me here. Are you saying it's not a problem getting freight out of Detroit? :7

Stranded

Expert Expediter
Yes, I was hoping i got the message out.
I will wait untill i get my year in before i quit if i do but was hoping to get some ideas of the other company names who have so much deadhead.
I read over there about a team that seemed to deadhead over 50% who drive for fedxcc so i know not to go there now. Some folks don't mind all the dead head and all but i'm tired of it. anyone else know where else not to go?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't know what all the fuss is about? There is nothing wrong with picking up freight in Detroit and deadheading back. Nothing wrong at all as long as you are running for $2.50 per loaded mile. We use to haul freight out of Houston Tx and that was the going rate.
If you are doing it with any consistency for anything less, you are a sinking ship. You are losing money on EVERY load you take like this. Same as another post, 50% deadhead will eventually put you out of business. There is no other way to color it.....well maybe a good trip to Vegas or a winning lottery ticket;)
Davekc
owner
20 years

Stranded

Expert Expediter
dave kc, thankyou and I Agree that if i could get that much for all my runs then i would not mention a problem.
I have talked to alot of drivers in different places from alabamama miss, Wv etc and i know some companys i won't not to go to already. some bigger companys too. I guess i wanted to know a list of companys who only have one way trips or if there is a link to companys that only have one way trips so that i do not make this same mistake all over again.

To be more clear i never ever want to drive hundrens of miles for free again. ever. THe o/o i drive for used to give me 32% of all loads and all deadhead. deadhead paid about .25 or more per mile to the D TRUCK but because loads are slow and its cold and idle time and fuel is high we agreed that high he cant afford it anymore so i no longer get anything for deadhead which means i no longer make even a dime a mile for deadheading.
SO, I wanted a list of one way companys so i know where not to apply.if there is no list i hoped others might say what companys they know prctice one way trips so i do not apply there.
I KNOW theres alot of deadhead but who ALWAYS deadheads or who deadheads TOO MUCH?
Here is a real example:
my company is HELP expedite out of flint and i do not reccommend them to anyone unless they like driving half the time for free.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's the Owner - Operator RE: Dead heading home

>To be more clear i never ever want to drive hundrens of
>miles for free again. ever. THe o/o i drive for used to give
>me 32% of all loads and all deadhead. deadhead paid about
>.25 or more per mile to the D TRUCK but because loads are
>slow and its cold and idle time and fuel is high we agreed
>that high he cant afford it anymore so i no longer get
>anything for deadhead which means i no longer make even a
>dime a mile for deadheading.

I think you should get your employer, the owner-operator, to pull the truck and put it on a busier company or find a new owner op to drive for.
The problem seems to be the owner-operator has no incentive to help you improve the situation. He even took back the dead head pay?
He should expect that it gets cold in winter, and obviously he doesn't have an auxillary heater, so he should have planned for the higher fuel expense etc.
Now, maybe, your employer is your brother-in-law or something similar; but he should make adjustments for your benefit or you should find someone else to drive for.

Stranded

Expert Expediter
RE: It's the Owner - Operator RE: Dead heading hom

>>I think you should get your employer, the owner-operator, to pull the >>truck and put it on a busier company or find a new owner op to drive >>for.
>>The problem seems to be the owner-operator has no incentive to help >>you improve the situation. He even took back the dead head pay?
>>He should expect that it gets cold in winter, and obviously he doesn't >>have an auxillary heater, so he should have planned for the higher >>fuel expense etc.
>>Now, maybe, your employer is your brother-in-law or something similar; >>but he should make adjustments for your benefit or you should find >>someone else to drive for.

HELLOOO, its not my broterinlaw or anything similar and who cares if it is? I asked for companys with to much deadhead. companys that have one way trips. is that asking to much? maybe everyone is happy to deadhead all over the palce even back to detroit but NOT ME. People are even happy and get congradulations from other memebers here for deadheading all over the place like the other team posted - but i do this to earn money NOT SPEND MONEY. I can tell you right now i could never afford to work for fedxcc. this job might be is a hobby to people here but its my living now.
the problem has nothing to do with my o/o who i drive for. it has nothing to do with that. ITS THE COMPANY AND I RECCOMMEND H.E.L.P. TO ALL DRIVERS WHO HAVE EXPEDITING AS A HOBBY BUT NOT IF YOU DRIVE FOR A LIVING.
It also has nothing to do with outgoing freigt - i know that message got out.
OH well, sorry but just forget it. i'll figure it out by the next few months.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Stranded,

I know this is stressing you out, but these drivers are trying to help you, they were just trying to get more specifics as to exactly what your situation was before giving half an answer.

Now that you identified your carrier, that gives more of an idea. The smaller companies, in general, seem to do more deadheading back to the home location. Any of the larger companies should be able to get more runs back to your home. It's really hard for me to believe a company would not have freight going TO that area, as even with FedEx's deadhead, seems like I always went to that area at least once a week.

I hate to recommend jumping ship to anyone, but perhaps you should check with one of the larger carriers such as Conway, or Tristate, someone that has good business for singles. FedEx seems to be getting more team oriented right now, but I'm sure some of the others would love a Michigan based D-Unir, and could get you runs back that way.

Understand, the reason you're probably not getting direct answers on this is that most drivers have never seen that problem, so they don't know how to answer.. but they're TRYING :) :) I personally always have had more trouble getting OUT of that area, than getting back to it! I usually went over to Jackson MI, or came down to Toledo to get runs out.

And, the question about the brother in law thing was directed, I'm sure, at why you would agree to drive miles for free, to help out the owner. A truck owner is supposed to be paying you, not you giving up your pay to help him... therefore, they were thinking perhaps it was family.

EVERYONE is going to deadhead some. NOONE should be deadheading 50% of the time. That's what people are trying to tell you. They may not be able to tell you a specific amount for each company, but most are around 20-30% from what I've seen, and read. So, therefore MOST companies would give you less deadhead.. AND you'd get paid for it.

Dreamer

mygroupllc

Expert Expediter

My suggestion to you if you dont want to deadhead is sign on with pantherII.at least if they cant get you a load they will let you find your own.subscribe to dat,truckstop,getloaded and such.maybe the freight isnt expedite but i find i can usally combine a couple of the ltl on there and get a buck a mile anyway.Last week I ran 3 trucks off these boards and not a one of them made under $2,500 of course you have to have internet available or a wife at home or someone posting your truck and takeing calls for you.Im not with panther at this time got my own authority and insurance and now I run as an outside carrier for all the big ones instead of being leased on to just one.I think panther will let you book your own freight but they will charge you 15% of the load pay but it sure beats the heck out of .25 to deadhead

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

My suggestion to you if you dont want to deadhead is sign on with pantherII.at least if they cant get you a load they will let you find your own.subscribe to dat,truckstop,getloaded and such.maybe the freight isnt expedite but i find i can usally combine a couple of the ltl on there and get a buck a mile anyway.Last week I ran 3 trucks off these boards and not a one of them made under $2,500 of course you have to have internet available or a wife at home or someone posting your truck and takeing calls for you.Im not with panther at this time got my own authority and insurance and now I run as an outside carrier for all the big ones instead of being leased on to just one.I think panther will let you book your own freight but they will charge you 15% of the load pay but it sure beats the heck out of .25 to deadhead
owner/op since 1996

I couldn't agree more.
Davekc

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Seems to me we haven't given Stranded the answers he was looking for at this site. First question was, is it normal to deadhead back to Detroit after a long run and I answered no. His other question was if there were other companies he should avoid that do the same thing. Well... here's my take on it...

Plenty of ppl told you of good companies to go with. To put it bluntly, your question was clouded in the material of your other posts. While checking out the other site, Twmaster said Dynamex... which is a CANADIAN company. I guess you would want to stay away from them if you're out of DETROIT. Then, you praise McBride for telling you how good Conway is. Funny, but that wasn't your original question. If you want names, then say so! You know Detroit is a hotspot, so why not ask which companies will do GOOD getting return trips to Detroit? It's all in the wording, so don't chastize us for trying to help you out when you weren't clear in stating what you wanted to know.

If all you wanted to do was trash us at the new site, stand in line. Seems alot of that is going on over there. Just remember... no one over there has any new found God-given knowledge than when they were here... just that they can spew more garbage now.

T-hawk
"Is the grass really greener? Or are you just ignorant on how to feed the cow?" - me