Dang gum junk!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My "electric nanny" other wise known as the "electric brick" is already acting up. Every time you slide the keyboard out or in the screen goes GA-GA. Lines all over the place and it sometimes causes it to crash. I have NO idea who the idiot was who designed that slide out but they need their head fixed. You should not have moving parts like that. Far too many little wires and connections to mess up. What a total waste of money. Monday I will have to get this looked at. Most likely will mess up my HOS since the system won't let you go for more than 45 minutes when you are off duty. (like it is any of anyones business but mine) MAYBE I can get the roof leak that having this junk installed fixed at the same time. :mad:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well there is always an opportunity cost involved when you are making those BIG BUCKS while working with a LARGE company - you traded the freedom for big brother and you're compensated for it by being allowed to be part of the elite of the fleet.

Oh the humanity ... :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well there is always an opportunity cost involved when you are making those BIG BUCKS while working with a LARGE company - you traded the freedom for big brother and you're compensated for it by being allowed to be part of the elite of the fleet.

Well, we can't all be perfect. That is still NO reason to design junk. FREEDOM? As a TRUCKER? In THIS country? Nope, just different degrees of control. NOT to worry, you will have an "electric nanny" in a very short amount of time. That is, if you stay in this business. Then you TOO will have to chose between income and loss of freedom. EOBR's will be mandatory soon.

So wipe that smirk off your face!! (not being serious here) :p Just poking a little fun at you!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, we can't all be perfect. That is still NO reason to design junk. FREEDOM? As a TRUCKER? In THIS country? Nope, just different degrees of control. NOT to worry, you will have an "electric nanny" in a very short amount of time. That is, if you stay in this business. Then you TOO will have to chose between income and loss of freedom. EOBR's will be mandatory soon.

So wipe that smirk off your face!! (not being serious here) :p Just poking a little fun at you!!

Greg will take the easy way out..that is why he is looking into a sprinter....*lol*

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greg will take the easy way out..that is why he is looking into a sprinter....*lol*

OH don't worry about that!! Vans and sprinters, ALL commercial "VEEHICKCALS" will have to have EOBR's. The days of vans and sprinters and the "cowboy" driving are soon to be over!! LOL!! :D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OH don't worry about that!! Vans and sprinters, ALL commercial "VEEHICKCALS" will have to have EOBR's. The days of vans and sprinters and the "cowboy" driving are soon to be over!! LOL!! :D

Been hearing that since vans were created.

Brisco

Expert Expediter

Ohhh........but remember..........some on here strongly believe that CV's are NOT CMV's!!!

While I fully understand that under FMSCA rules and regs that Cargo Vans today are not classified as CMV's, just wait til mandatory EOBR's go in play.

(I don't think they will - I believe Lahood and the Obawa administration will be gone before this act passes. But, if it does pass, it will be overturned under the new administration in 2012. Too much of a "Small Business" killer in the trucking industry)

But, if it does pass, and FMSCA - DOT starts auditing all these companies like FDCC-PII-Bolt and sees all these units running under their DOT Authority that do not have EOBR's installed, believe me, they will find some way to change the rules up that will finally classify CV's as CMV's legitimately.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Been hearing that since vans were created.

Yep, but this bunch in charge LOVES to regulate. It is a brave new world out there. The control freaks are taking over. The new nanny state is going to require "electric nannies" for EVERYONE. New taxes based on that to cover the costs of mass transit, etc. Nothing for the roads. OH YEAH, don't forget the tax payer subsidies for those who buy electric cars so that they can crash the grid! I think I got it figured out!! :p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I got to tell you Layout, FedEx let's you slide with some things that my carrier doesn't - like logs. If EOBRs are in the cab, it will help out a lot, more than you ever think.

However it isn't the design of the product that is causing the problem but the way the carrier handles the issues and problems. Without a way for you to get it fixed or voicing your concerns about the issues you find with feedback of the progress the vendor makes with the issues, it is like no one cares.

by the by I think this is another issue where you can be considered an employee because you are forced to take the stuff they give you and be charged with a fee while having no recourse to solve any issue or at least be trained in how to properly use the equipment.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well I got to tell you Layout, FedEx let's you slide with some things that my carrier doesn't - like logs. If EOBRs are in the cab, it will help out a lot, more than you ever think.

However it isn't the design of the product that is causing the problem but the way the carrier handles the issues and problems. Without a way for you to get it fixed or voicing your concerns about the issues you find with feedback of the progress the vendor makes with the issues, it is like no one cares.

by the by I think this is another issue where you can be considered an employee because you are forced to take the stuff they give you and be charged with a fee while having no recourse to solve any issue or at least be trained in how to properly use the equipment.

I don't know about it getting fixed, it just happened and there is no one there to talk to today. I have talked to them on the leak and they will get me in as soon as we can. I don't believe that there will be too much of a problem other than getting time in an area with a shop that has time to get on it.

I don't know what was being let go on my logs. We logged legal then and we see no difference now with hours etc. What help will the EOBR give us? I see no benefit to this unit for our operation.

As to being an employee vs. a contractor, it feels that way more with each passing month. Alas, due to my own stupidity I am not able to fix that problem right now. Hopefully I will be able to in the not too distant future. Until then, I will continue to do the outstanding work that I do for FedEx. That is how it is.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
My "electric nanny" other wise known as the "electric brick" is already acting up. Every time you slide the keyboard out or in the screen goes GA-GA. Lines all over the place and it sometimes causes it to crash. I have NO idea who the idiot was who designed that slide out but they need their head fixed. You should not have moving parts like that. Far too many little wires and connections to mess up. What a total waste of money. Monday I will have to get this looked at. Most likely will mess up my HOS since the system won't let you go for more than 45 minutes when you are off duty. (like it is any of anyones business but mine) MAYBE I can get the roof leak that having this junk installed fixed at the same time. :mad:

The entire time that you drive to a repair facility must be logged.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
If you are going too use the off duty driving ,you can drive from point A,to point B,then back to point A.You can not be on a load,or pre-dispatched.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

u are a bad boy,,amen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So what does FedEx have to do with it, that's an install issue and the vendor that put the stuff in needs to pay for the repairs.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So what does FedEx have to do with it, that's an install issue and the vendor that put the stuff in needs to pay for the repairs.

I should not and won't have to pay for the repair of the leak. FedEx has "approved" install shops. FedEx should, will and has stepped up and is going to arrange to have this leak taken care of.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh... I guess ... wasn't PJs also an approved shop?

After seeing their workmanship, I wonder what needs to be approved?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh... I guess ... wasn't PJs also an approved shop?

After seeing their workmanship, I wonder what needs to be approved?

I have never been to "PJ's" shop. I know nothing about it. I hae my "junk" installed at a Freightliner in Belleville, MI. I don't know if they are connected with the "junk" company whose garbage I had installed or if they just leased they work bays to them.