CV tires

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
If I'm going to replace my back tires, and I have to, considering I lost one last night, is there anything I should keep in mind? Do you lose much MPG going with all-season back there?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I'm going to replace my back tires, and I have to, considering I lost one last night, is there anything I should keep in mind? Do you lose much MPG going with all-season back there?
I took out your 1st thread ok?

and no you won't....shouldn't be much at all if any...just keep up the tire pressure...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What you lose is the ability to rotate all 4 tires and even out thread wear...personally Id (and do on my Chevy CV) run a good open Hyway thread...I use Firestone Transforce HT's..they are a hyway tire but a good self cleaning open thread face...they also make a Transforce AT..that is the same construction and load rating (i think it is "E") but a All Terrain or all season thread...if you go with a AT or all season now for the rear, then you can replace the fronts with the same at a later date as needed...but for myself, the HT is a great tire,,,i have 3 sets and I just put 2 of them on the front of the Cargo Max last week..

1 tire to stay away from..GENERAL...the tire that came on the ft of the Cargo Max from GM was junk from day 1...I replace both of them at 37,000 mile with belts slipped...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use Michelin AT/2 tires because of the decreased rolling resistance, and because they have more tread to begin with than other "e" rated tires. I'm a tread junky.

Many people rotate tires left-to-right and not front-to-back, and just replace them in pairs as needed.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I use Michelin AT/2 tires because of the decreased rolling resistance, and because they have more tread to begin with than other "e" rated tires. I'm a tread junky.

Many people rotate tires left-to-right and not front-to-back, and just replace them in pairs as needed.

You can't beat Michelin. Get what you pay for and lasts and lasts and lasts. And yes if you buy Generals they will perform like privates. Fastest way to throw money away.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always done well with Bridgestones,3 sets have lasted 150,000 miles and fuel mileage never suffered.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
So what about all-season? And doesn't less rolling resistance automatically mean less traction? I can't see how it couldn't.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So what about all-season?
Michelin's LTX tires come in Mud'n'Snow, All-Season, and All-Terrain. My first set was AS, the second two sets where MS and the most recent two sets are AT. Not a lot of difference between the MS and the AS tires. Same tread depth, but slight difference in tread pattern. The AT (AT/2) tires have a more aggressive tread pattern, and deeper tread to start with.

And doesn't less rolling resistance automatically mean less traction? I can't see how it couldn't.
Michelin tires are engineer for reduced rolling resistance yet keeping or improving the traction and stopping distance of their tires, relative to previous Michelin tires and to other tires on the market. If the only factor to rolling resistance was the amount of rubber on the road, then you'd be right about less rolling resistance equating reduced traction. But that's not the only or even primary factor involved. Sidewall construction and the composition of the rubber are the important ones. The specs for traction and stopping distance for Michelin tires are equal to or better than that of over tires. But the reduced rolling resistance introduces a fuel economy savings that will more than pay for the tires over their lifetime (especially if you keep them properly inflated, either because you're anal about tire pressure, or because you use nitrogen, or both).

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Turtle. Are you using Nitrogen? We have a Ford dealer in our area that has it available but no others. You can't mix air w/Nitrogen so what do you do on the road if you need some/?

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
LTX'2 M/S on all my cv's. Always use nitro. Just replaced a set - 190,000 miles and easily could have gone further. Well worth the expense. JMO, Jack

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Of course you can.
Took the words right out of my fingers. The air we breathe is already roughly 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and smaller percentages of argon, carbon dioxide and tiny amounts of other gases. So when you fill your tires with air, you're putting 78% nitrogen and 21% air in them, anyway. When you have them filled with nitrogen, they use about 95% nitrogen, as a higher percentage only costs more and provides no additional benefit, and less than 90% and you don't get the benefits at all.

If my tires are low and need more pressure, I'll have them filled with nitrogen if I can find a place, or I'll use regular air. I've had a couple of flats repaired where they didn't have nitrogen, so they used air. First chance I got i found a place with nitrogen and had the tires deflated and inflated with nitrogen. My last set of tires was at Discount Tire, and most of those locations have it (free with a set of tires).

Once in Louisville I stopped at a tire place and asked. They didn't, but they certainly knew who did. All the tire places in town will know who has the nitrogen, either because they're thinking of getting it too, or because they're ignorant and like to laugh at those who have it. :D