CV head lights

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm having a hard time finding premium bright head lights for my CV. It uses the 9006 low beams. Tried the Sylvania silver star ultras, very short life. Tried the 80 watt cheap bulbs from the Iowa 80. They were good but only lasted about 2 months also. Want to try Phillips bulbs but can't find them local. What have you guys been finding in a long lasting good bright bulb? I drive so much at night that I really want something better then the stock 55 watt bulbs. Thanks

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure if you have the capsule types except polishing the headlight lenses. All the road grit and crud scraches and bakes into the ploycarbonate lenses. Wash them down, then clean them with 90% isoprophyl alcohol, then polishing compound keep a light hand I use old turtle wax #7, rinse them off and dry them betwene the folowing steps. I then use a clear coat cleaner, wash and dry then a couple coats of wax.

Also have the aim checked this may be the problem.
If you cant get good results try a set of snow plow lights I installed them on another work truck and they worked great but get the glass type and have the aim properly set. Otherwise you can blind other drivers and might have a problem with the cops.

Good luck
Bob Wolf

yayashas

Seasoned Expediter
Try Wagner from Napa. Lasted the longest for me and brighter. Dont get the cheapest one. I think they even have the bluesh euro lights. By the way mine is composite sealed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use the Silverstar Ultra lights. They're the brightest you can get other than HID lights. The tradeoff is they don't last a long, but it only takes like 2 minutes to change a bulb, so I don't care. Id rather have brighter than longer lasting, especially since Sylvania has a one year warranty and they'll replace then for free.

It's rare that my headlights aren't on when I'm driving day or night, and the Ultras last me 8-12 months. But even out they only lasted 30 days I'd still use 'em, brighter is better.

Important point about polishing the lenses, too. Polishing helps a lot, but at some point you may need to replace the lenses or the entire headlight assembly. When I replaced my assemblies it made a world of difference. Expensive little suckers, tho.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use the Silverstar Ultra lights. Id rather have brighter than longer lasting, especially since Sylvania has a one year warranty and they'll replace then for free.
I tried the original Silverstars, I liked the light output but they only lasted about 3 months. I bought another set. Same thing, about a 3 month lifespan. I tried to return the second set to the auto parts store for a refund or exchange and was told I had to deal with the manufacturer. I did the Canuck 2-step on the phone with some hoser from Sylvania. I gave up and vowed never to buy Sylvania bulbs again.

A few years ago I saw Silverstar Ultras at WalMart. The packaging stated: "New and Improved". Hey, I'm a sucker for catchy ad copy, so I bought a set. I kept the original package and sales receipt. This set lasted about 6 month before one bulb failed. I returned both bulbs to WalMart for a replacement set without any problem. I continue to get about a 6 month lifespan from these bulbs and when one dies, I exchange the pair for new ones.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Just a thought! You're not touching the glass when you install the bulb are you? The slightest oil from your fingers shortens bulb life. You knew this,but hey some may not.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I run hid lights in my truck and my personal cars. I got 8000k in the truck (super white) and 10000k in my car (extremely blue).

And they are legal since most high end cars come factory with them.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a thought! You're not touching the glass when you install the bulb are you? The slightest oil from your fingers shortens bulb life. You knew this,but hey some may not.
No need to with the 9006 bulbs because of the large plastic base. I have H-3s in my fog lights and use a clean gauze pad to install those.

For some reason the Silverstars are short lived. The light output is great, whiter and wider than ordinary bulbs.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's a picture of a chart, from the back of a SilverStar Ultra package. The chart shows 1 bar for LIFE compared to 4 bars for a standard bulb. They acknowledge the short lifespan, yet guarantee the bulbs for a year. I guess they figure the average customer will get at least 13 months of service.

Attachments

• Silverstar package 222.jpg
    Silverstar package 222.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 38

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
From Sylvania:

Q) How long do the headlights last?
A) The life of any halogen bulb varies based on vehicle type, vehicle voltage, amount of time the bulb is on, road conditions, proper installation, and correct application. The average life of SilverStar® headlights is approximately one year. With our SYLVANIA SilverStar® products, the primary goal is to offer the brightest, whitest light. Research has shown SilverStar® headlights improve driver visibility and reaction time. However, since our SilverStar® headlights are up to 35% brighter and our SilverStar® ULTRA headlights are up to 50% brighter than standard halogen, they may have a shorter life span compared to our other products.

SilverStar® ULTRA bulbs provide up to 40% increased down road visibility, up to 50% increased side road visibility and up to 50% brighter light, compared to worn standard bulbs. SYLVANIA SilverStar ULTRA bulbs deliver the whitest and brightest light of all the SYLVANIA halogen headlamp families.

I wouldn't say the ULTRA bulbs have 50% of the lifespan of regular bulbs, but they are definitely shorter. They burn brighter and hotter, essentially over-stressing the filament, thus they burn out quicker. But again, I'm fine with that. I've had them replaced by Sylvania and Walmart with no problems.

I want bright.

It's all about Watts and lumens, and the corresponding hours of run time. Standard OEM H7 bulbs, for example, have 1400 lumens and are 55 Watts with a run time of 300-450 hours. The same H7 Silverstar ULTRA bulb gets you 1620 lumens at the same 55 Watts, but with a run time between 200-400 hours (depending on the electrical system in your vehicle).

There is another option, albeit legally questionable (actually, since the laws of North America state that low beams are to be 55 Watts, it's not all that questionable). You can get Osram's (which is also Sylvania) Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7 "Special-Service" Bulb, which gives you 2100 lumens and a 300-400 hour run time. A lot of people here in the US are using these bulbs.

As much as I want bright, as squirrelly as the Sprinter's electrical wiring is, I'm too chicken to find out what a 65W bulb will do to a 55W circuit. The chances are that it'll be just fine, since few if any problems with these bulbs can be found online, or the most that could happen is a blown fuse or a quickly blown bulb. Buuuut I've seen the wiring on a Sprinter, and I've already had a couple of oddball electrical problems as it is, so I'll play it safe.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Here's a picture of a chart, from the back of a SilverStar Ultra package. The chart shows 1 bar for LIFE compared to 4 bars for a standard bulb. They acknowledge the short lifespan, yet guarantee the bulbs for a year. I guess they figure the average customer will get at least 13 months of service.

Looking at that chart it appears the Xtravision bulbs are the best compromise between life and brightness.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking at that chart it appears the Xtravision bulbs are the best compromise between life and brightness.
True, but the light output from the SilverStar Ultras is noticeably brighter and whiter. If you don't mind changing bulbs twice a year and returning them, go with the SilverStar Ultras.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Bad....
I forgot to mention that composite / plastic lights can deteriorate form the inside as well as they are not completely air tight they often have small weep holes to alow for altitude air presure change. Eventualy dust and crud will make its way inside. If they are crudded up inside theyre junk and its time to hit E bay or a auto body parts distributor. As I said before make sure they aim them or you waste your money.
Good luck.
Bob Wolf.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
True, but the light output from the SilverStar Ultras is noticeably brighter and whiter. If you don't mind changing bulbs twice a year and returning them, go with the SilverStar Ultras.
Twice a year? I was changing each every 4-6 weeks. Super bright, a huge improvement over the stock bulbs, but expensive to replace so often.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Twice a year? I was changing each every 4-6 weeks. Super bright, a huge improvement over the stock bulbs, but expensive to replace so often.
Were you using the SilverStar Ultra bulbs or the original SilverStar bulbs? Also, I replace both at the same time. When one goes, both get replaced.