Big Truck Current and exdrivers of Panther, whats your opionion of them?

simplykelsi

New Recruit
Driver
I hope Im posting in the correct forum. Im supposed to be starting a job driving a straight truck as a team for a fleet owner at Panther either this week or next. It looks to be a pretty decent place from what Ive read and videos Ive watched, but I would like to get some opinions and advice from current/past drivers.

Since Im driving a straight truck, I would prefer focusing on those drivers, but van driver opinions are also welcome. Thanks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's tellin him. :JC-hysterical:

I used to drive a van with them, and I'm really too many years removed to give any kind of salient advice, other than to learn the rules.

I really don't want to make a comment such as, "they will screw you over, but at least they will screw you by the rules," because I really don't know how prevalent that is compared to the days of yore, but you want to learn the rules. Abide by them, but know them well enough to use them to your advantage. If you're promised something by dispatch, know that all phone conversations are recorded, so you can hold them to anything they promise.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thats kinda what Ive heard from others. Seems people either love it or hate it.
Every carrier is different, and what works for one might not work for another. But whether I liked them or not didn't matter (hated them), the main thing was that I learned the rules well enough to make money and remain relatively stress free (once I learned how to use the rules in my favor).

I drove for them for 5 years. The first 2 years was, uhm, not particularly pleasant. But after I learned the rules it was fine. The reason I left was because they made some changes that, on the surface, looked like we'd be getting a lot more money, but resulted in less per mile for all-miles. But none of that is even a factor at this point.

simplykelsi

New Recruit
Driver
Every carrier is different, and what works for one might not work for another. But whether I liked them or not didn't matter (hated them), the main thing was that I learned the rules well enough to make money and remain relatively stress free (once I learned how to use the rules in my favor).

I drove for them for 5 years. The first 2 years was, uhm, not particularly pleasant. But after I learned the rules it was fine. The reason I left was because they made some changes that, on the surface, looked like we'd be getting a lot more money, but resulted in less per mile for all-miles. But none of that is even a factor at this point.

Thats another sentiment Ive heard. Assuming its a horrible company, my plan is to work with them for a year or 2 to get some experience and move on. But if I end up liking it, Ill just stay.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thats another sentiment Ive heard. Assuming its a horrible company, my plan is to work with them for a year or 2 to get some experience and move on. But if I end up liking it, Ill just stay.
You may very well end up liking it there. Many people do. But at the very least, you'll definitely know what you don't like, and will be looking for another carrier that will be a better fit.

Reactions: simplykelsi

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Think you should of checked that out before signing on the dotted line.
What crawled up your ass and died? I did my research sunshine, I just want to hear what people here have to say.
So you have been a member on EO for 32 days ..woo hoo.
Not impressed..
An established member of several years on EO and in the Expedited business makes a comment towards your post of asking questions about the Horse (Panther) after you've signed on in the cart (truck ).. And then you start swearing on this site at him . Just a suggestion..but you need thicker skin to be in this business and to post on this site .
Oh by the way I 've been here since 2003 and been harassed, cussed at , called names , Banned, etc... so if you want to target me . Enjoy yourself, you won't be here long ...

sent from my Recliner..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
so if you want to target me . Enjoy yourself, you won't be here long ..
Do you have some insight into the administration of the forums that I'm not aware of?

The reason I ask is, even though I haven't been here as long as you, I do know that threatening a forum member will get your ass banned in a heartbeat. I also know that popping into a thread and trying to troll-bait someone into a confrontation, that'll get you banned just about as quickly.

Reactions: simplykelsi

simplykelsi

New Recruit
Driver
Not impressed..
An established member of several years on EO and in the Expedited business makes a comment towards your post of asking questions about the Horse (Panther) after you've signed on in the cart (truck ).. And then you start swearing on this site at him . Just a suggestion..but you need thicker skin to be in this business and to post on this site .
Oh by the way I 've been here since 2003 and been harassed, cussed at , called names , Banned, etc... so if you want to target me . Enjoy yourself, you won't be here long ...

sent from my Recliner..
Think what you will. I am only looking for opinions about a company from other people, thats all. Are all the people who have been on the forum as long as you two this salty?

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Think what you will. I am only looking for opinions about a company from other people, thats all. Are all the people who have been on the forum as long as you two this salty?
Pay no attention to the men behind the curtin.......
We're really kind and gentile.

wizard-of-oz.jpg

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not impressed..

sent from my Recliner..

Oh boy excitement like the good old days!

Sent from lost in space.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pay no attention to the men behind the curtin.......
We're really kind and gentile.

wizard-of-oz.jpg
Oh boy excitement like the good old days!

Sent from lost in space.
Sorry, but that glimpse of excitement is over .

But back on topic... back in 2003 I was offered an Owner/ Operator contract by Panther . I accepted it (at $1.35 plus FSC per loaded mile in a StraightTruck ) and was headed a week later to Orientation . But luckily a Small Company Owner/Dispatcher out of the Chicago area offered me a contract paying me 25 cents a mile more plus FSC . Thus ending my Experience with Panther...

sent from my Recliner..

TimmyNuts

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Current van driver for Panther 2 years now

O/O

As the person above stated, "know the rules with Panther" and it makes your Life much easier and more profitable.
Demand a bonus for anything going West cuz dollars to donuts you'll be sitting or empty moved back East.

Protect your sleep time. Establish your drive time niche..ie nights or days and try to stick to it.

I make pretty good money and from research have found that Panther is a bit better then standard for contracted expedite Companies.
They all have their hooks in you in some way or fashion so plan accordingly.

As for the Team straight truck, you best find someone you like to drive all those miles with cuz that gig can be brutal with a mutant sharing the cab.

Ps. You never make money working for someone else, you just get paid.

Good Luck

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They own you when their freight is on your truck, when delivered you're a free man until the next load. ;)

Was making $.97 to $1 per mile when last working for them, if it increases to that rate please advise and I'll start shopping a 2015 model cargo van.

Steel65

New Recruit
Driver
Code of Conduct Violation
My partner and I have not been with panther long but one thing is for sure some dispatchers have their favorites and plan on sitting over the weekend if you don't have a load by Friday.
[Edited by Turtle]

Last edited by a moderator:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sitting over the weekend is SOP for cargo vans, and lately for everybody else.