Curiousity waning to committment

pjnickles

Seasoned Expediter
Hi all,
Firstly,if this is posted in the wrong area,someone please direct me to the proper area. Thanks.
I've been really curious,over the last few years,of what this expedited thing is all about. I've tried to find out information on my own,but have had limted success. I run across the same websites with the same information and frankly,I'm no further ahead than I was when I started.
I'm not given to signing up on things like this type forum,because it's usually an aggravation I don't feel like dealing with. I have finally been beaten into submission by my desire to know,to break down(out of necessity)and sign into something because I can't communicate with anyone here without doing it. So much for the free flow of information.
Anyhow,
It seems that opportunities for just being a driver,as opposed to being an O/O,for an expedited outfit are limited,so I guess I'll have to ask here to see what it's going to take to be an O/O.
I have questions about EVERYTHING,i.e.
a) Truck(new vs used)and S.B.A. loans/grants to do so?
b) Related fixed costs i.e. insurance,permits,licenses,etc?
c) My own authority or lease on?
d) etc.,etc.,etc.,
Generally anything dealing with being/becoming an O/O.
I have been driving eighteen for twelve years. My MVR and DAC are in decent shape. My credit is an eight on a scale of ten. I am currently employed and you all know what it's like to get/be home,so if you hear no reply for me,it's because I haven't been home to do so but,I will get back to you
Any and all tips/information would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Post here or e-mail me,this handle @yahoo.
Kenny

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First, was'nt it hypocritical for Issac Hayes to quit just because Parker and Stone picked on his so-called religion?

The standard answer here is to work for a fleet owner to get your feet wet. I chose to get a cargo van and try it that way. If it doesn't work out it would probably be a bit easier to sell. Any issue you can think of has been disscussed here and can be found in the archives. Good luck!

pjnickles

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks HS,
Fleet owners?
As in being a company driver?
Where?
I've looked and I keep coming up with places that are only looking for O/O's,and I honestly don't want to be considered a "priavte contractor" due to IRS(1099)and insurance/workers comp concerns. I've been a private contractor before and I didn't like it. It ends up being an excuse for the corporate holders to get out of paying their share of W/C and FICA deductions.
I want to be an employee,from the legal aspect and have bennies and a regular paycheck.
If I were to go the "P/C" route,why not just be an O/O and cut out the middle man and have the full compensation and the ability to pay for my own benefits?
As for other possible reasons for going with a fleet owner,I've been at it for 12 years and I don't think I need the OTR experience,as in lifestyle.
I realize,it'll be somewhat different than normal OTR,but how much different could it be? Drive,load/unload,wait,sleep in truck,wish for home,etc..
Appreciate your suggestion though,but I don't think that's the route for me unless you have a compelling argument to the contrary. Have I misread your intent? Straighten me out as to your reasoning and I'll listen,after all I am here to learn. I'm not dead set against your suggestion,I just submit my arguement. Is my logic flawed?
Thx,Ken

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
PJ - I will answer your questions to the best of my ability, & I'm sure if I miss something, someone will straighten us both out.
Driving for a fleet owner is not being a company driver - you are always an independent contractor. (If you can't live without company bennies & a regular paycheck that is approximately the same amount every week, then expediting isn't for you) The advantage is that your risk is minimal - you don't buy the equipment, or pay for maintenanance or repairs. Most owners pay you 60% of what the truck makes, you pay fuel & tolls. Owners seeking drivers can be found here, in the classified section, but research before you commit - there are good & bad owners out there. (Try to talk with current &/or former drivers, and ask to read the contract you will be asked to sign - then read it carefully).
If you prefer being the owner, you'll want to talk to carriers, to find out which vehicles they are signing, (vans are not always wanted), what is acceptable in terms of vehicle age & size, etc, before you purchase a vehicle. You'll also want to know what you will be charged for (Qualcomm, Trippak, insurance, escrow), and compensation loaded & deadhead. You will also want to talk to drivers, because they can provide details the recruiters leave out, or gloss over. Finally - it is a neccessity that you have enough money to operate until the settlement checks arrive, and a reserve fund to cover emergencies should be available, too.
All the above advice, and much more, can be found by reading the archives here on EO. The more information you possess, the more certain you will be of making the right decision.
Finally - good luck, whatever you decide.

pjnickles

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Cheri,

Appreciate your advice. I'll check the archives here.

I want to clarify for you and future readers that I'm not objectionable to being a private contractor,and the aspect of being a company driver isn't solely based on receiving a regular paycheck or bennies,it's just a preference. Being a company driver entitles me to certain employment rights and FICA,W/C contributions that I don't get being a private contractor,and I figure,if I'm gonna be a private contractor,why don't I go all the way and just be an O/O?

As for other things,as a company driver I don't have to sign contracts or deal with escrow(or other incidentalls like qualcomm and tripak). Bottom line,less of my money is tied up in someone else's hands and that's good for me because,in todays world too many unscrupulous people want to get their hands on it with some lame excuse or split hair semantics and it ends up in a legal proceeding that costs more than the money you'll recover.

No van for me here. I'd prefer a straight truck,24' or so oughta do it,I think. I'm just tired of dragging a 53' van. In today's traffic,it's just getting too dangerous anymore. I really don't trust others in the snow so,a smaller vehicle to me equals better maneuverability,shorter stopping distances and less headaches.

Anyway,thanks again. I'll be sure to check into and do the things you suggest.

=============================

The road to success is almost always under construction.

DO NOT meddle in the affairs of dragons because,to them, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like you, I also pulled the 53's. The reason we recomend starting with a fleet owner is to experience the difference in expediting. When I was driving t/t, it was drop and hook and a regular route. Very predictable. With a fleet owner you can get a taste without spending anything. The waiting can really get to you and it is a deal breaker for some.

Cheri, stunt-jumping!?!! I have a friend who was the first woman to flip into Pastrana's foam pit. A woman from Canada beat her to the first ramp-to-ramp.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'll tell you the offers of employee vs contractor are slim. In the last year, I've probably seen three ads in the EO classifieds for such. In fact, there's one in there now, only a week or two old.

Being a contractor doesn't mean you'll pay qualcomm or any truck related expenses. If an owner plans on you paying anything like that, he's not a good one to drive for. Most likely, you'll pay worker's comp/ occupational insurance. And, of course, 1099 taxes. I would take independant contractor over employee any day. The benefits of picking and choosing runs that benefit me vastly outweighs benefits I'd get from being an employee.

I have to agree with the others who posted about running for someone, if nothing else, to get the feeling of expediting. I've seen a lot of truckers turn to expediting, lured in by the money. Most have gone back to OTR because they couldn't handle sitting a day or two, waiting on the next load. Most weeks out of the year, you'll sit at least one day. I think that's with any carrier.

One other thing you mentioned was getting your own authority. I would say wait until you get the expediting thing down, in general. There are a lot of differences between expediting and pulling vans. It is a more customer-relationship type atmosphere. But one you'd most likely find more fulfilling at the day's end. You'll learn that it's not always easy getting freight out of TX or further west. Areas, like Atlanta and Detroit, are feast or famine. In other words, you have to play the game... wait, dh, wait some more. Your own authority would help, in that your load offers would show you where freight is moving. You'll know where to avoid due to truck/load ratio. When you get to that point, it's a lot of stress, but it's a move you could end up loving or hating. Most tend to stay with a good carrier, and leave the business side to the office. If the miles are good enough, the trade off in money is more beneficial.

pjnickles

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks T,
Oh,trust me,I'm not being lured here by the money by any means. I've read a few posts in the mean time and it seems to be feast or famine,seasonal and the like. I'm not looking to get rich,but I'm not going to babysit a truck and go broke either. If they've got work,I'm there. I don't mind the waiting part too much,I get some of that now,as long as at the end of the week I can make up the difference in dollars.
As for Q/C,they want me to have it,they'll pay for it,end of subject. I don't mind the tripak or fed-ex expense.
As for truck expenses i.e.licenses,insurances,repairs,permits,etc., that's what I'm concerned about. I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE COSTS. I don't want to be a private contractor and be expected to pay for the fuel and maybe toll roads or tire repair,to go to an area because I've been instructed,and when I get there,the load evaporates. I just want to drive and get paid for it. If I have to buy my own health insurance,so be it. I just don't like being classified as an independent contractor so a corporation can shirk it's responsibility of making W/C,FICA contributions. When I get hurt at work,who pays it? I don't feel like I should,nor should I lose earning potential because they don't have insurance. For some reason that burns me and that's the only reason they do it.
As for all else,I'm just looking for a job change after 12 years of this and downgrading to something that fits in traffic better. Like a 24-28 ft truck.
As for my own authority,it's more of a down the road,pipe dream type thing. Something for the future.
What's the company you seen advertising here? I must've missed it or overlooked it with my thoughts of company driverdom. I'ts at least worth a look see.
I inquired of PantherII about 18 mos. ago and I just didn't like their plan and requirements. Maybe what they practice is industry standard and maybe it's changed,I don't know.Now don't anybody get their panties in a wad,I'm not bashing them. I was just preliminarily looking and I didn't like what I heard. Go to Ohio,orientation,provide my own vehicle and transportation to get there,etc. I just wasn't willing to jump at the first company I looked at. And incidentally,it was the only company I could find at the time. I didn't have a pc at that time.

=============================

The road to success is almost always under construction.

DO NOT meddle in the affairs of dragons because,to them,you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
PJ Before you buy Talk to the people at OOIDA. They are there for all drivers not just o/o. They have so much info to get you on the right path.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
I have finally been beaten into submission by my desire to know,to break down(out of necessity)and sign into something because I can't communicate with anyone here without doing it. So much for the free flow of information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just curious, How much did they charge you to join EO.