Cummins regen issue

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
Just bought a 2008 Sterling with a cummins 330 engine, has about 422,000 miles. I've read older posts about regen issues on this engine, but guess I thought that after this many miles that problem, if it was one, would have been taken care of already. Mistake on my part. Just wondering what has been done by others that have had issues with this, what finally corrected the problem? Seems as if the regen that is supposed to take place while driving does not happen, then it needs to continually have a manual regen. Any thoughts or remedies?

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bought a new truck last year with cummings-had alot of regen issues. wouldn't regen, regened all the time, got plugged up.been towed. A nightmare.
1st. it should regen while driving and you're not suppossed to know it's regenering. except for the smell. no lite will come on to let you know it's in regen. However you can tell when it's about to regen-you will hear the engine sounding different, loss of POWER.
I call mine a castrated puppy!

if it won't regen-it will start bucking-I had a bad manual regen switch-then shut you down, tow time. then you'll have to have to have it cleaned out $1000.00.
computer settings wrong, bad injectors, unqualified mechanics.
after eight months of visiting shops I think I got mine straightened out. The best cummins place so far that I found was cummins in FT. Wayne, In. talk to Smitty.

It's been running fine -FOR NOW-. WISH i HAD MY OLD TRUCK

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Bought a new truck last year with cummings-had alot of regen issues. wouldn't regen, regened all the time, got plugged up.been towed. A nightmare.
1st. it should regen while driving and you're not suppossed to know it's regenering. except for the smell. no lite will come on to let you know it's in regen. However you can tell when it's about to regen-you will hear the engine sounding different, loss of POWER.
I call mine a castrated puppy!

if it won't regen-it will start bucking-I had a bad manual regen switch-then shut you down, tow time. then you'll have to have to have it cleaned out $1000.00.
computer settings wrong, bad injectors, unqualified mechanics.
after eight months of visiting shops I think I got mine straightened out. The best cummins place so far that I found was cummins in FT. Wayne, In. talk to Smitty.

It's been running fine -FOR NOW-. WISH i HAD MY OLD TRUCK

Our experiences wasn't much better but we did finally get them staightened out.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Our experiences wasn't much better but we did finally get them staightened out.

I think all the EPA stuff on trucks is crap if you ask me. Just another way for people to make more money off the O/O.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think all the EPA stuff on trucks is crap if you ask me. Just another way for people to make more money off the O/O.

I haven't seen anything beneficial from them yet except higher purchase and operating costs. Not impressed. Hopefully over time they will become reliable. They start out ok and then the problems start to surface.

Eastex

Seasoned Expediter
Just bought a 2008 Sterling with a cummins 330 engine, has about 422,000 miles. I've read older posts about regen issues on this engine, but guess I thought that after this many miles that problem, if it was one, would have been taken care of already. Mistake on my part. Just wondering what has been done by others that have had issues with this, what finally corrected the problem? Seems as if the regen that is supposed to take place while driving does not happen, then it needs to continually have a manual regen. Any thoughts or remedies?

Search the internet for "DPF Delete Kits". You will find information and options to solve your problems.

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Same here, i dont have the cummins I have the Paccar and its a POS too. 122k on the truck and been in shop 5 times for yup you guessed it regen issues.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
We bought our Freightliner M2 with the Cummins engine new in Aug 2010. In addition to many, many issues with this truck, we also had the regen issue. After 11 repair shop visits in 10 months, we finally hit paydirt. We took it to Cummins Mid South in St Louis and met with Cummins engineer Mike Savant . They had the truck in the shop for a week but since then (July of 2011) we have had NO issues. The truck would plug up every 8 to 11,000 miles, now we have ran 35,000! We are also getting an additional .5 mpg.