Cube Van

MSinger

Expert Expediter
If anyone is interested in running a 10,000 GVWR DRW cube van this might be of interest to you. Any Penske DRW cube trucks model year 2008 and later have a minimum GVWR of 12,300. If this is of concern to you you may want to get in and get a 2007 before they are gone. Rent-A-Center still uses the 10,000 GVWR chassis but the box is only a 12'. Penske and Rent-A-Center have been the primary places to look for good used 10K cubes.

d_b1486

Active Expediter
So, in canada a 10k or 10,001k needs to log and scale? i have a chevy 3500 cube van, with 10,000lbs registered, would i need to scale, the gvwr is 9600lbs.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This was addressed before in the forums. Canada requires logging at or above 4500 kg. In 'Murrican money that's 9920 lbs. Ten K is 4536 kg, so there ya go.

d_b1486

Active Expediter
thanks for the replies. seems kinda dumb. would i have to log the whole trip from shipper to consignee, or start as i enter canada? thanks

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
if you go to canada it is from pick up plus a page that covers the previous, i don't know what canada requires, 7 days i guess. you could prolly show out of service if the p-u is near home.

now i don't k now if canada has an hos rule for vans but if they require logging my guess is yes.

Monty

Expert Expediter
It may be "required", but I made a call to the scale house up there ... the only one that might push it is some "newbie" cop that needs a reputation.

The "oldtimers" say they have more important things to do than chase down a cargo van.

But, it IS the law, so your experience might be different!

(I checked this because I was thinking of getting a Sprinter 3500 ..... rated at 9900 pounds)