Craving Sugar?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
While talking to another driver friend her doctor told her for the time being to cut out all Bananas, Grapes, and Pears to help with her sugar cravings later in the day.

How many foods do we eat that are good for us but actually can cause cravings later on in the day?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Having a craving for a specific food is the surest sign I know of to not eat that food.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There are different kinds of cravings and they mean different things. The craving I had the other day for a ham sandwich is different than the craving a smoker has for a cigarette. The craving you might get for a beer when you see a billboard showing that tempting ice-cold glass of brew is different than the craving a pregnant woman may get for pickles and ice cream. The craving you may get for carbs if you are on a low-carb diet is different than the craving you may have for a drink of water if you are thirsty.

Sugar craving is a complex topic. There are different kinds of sugars that have different effects on the body and the brain.

Diane and I recently attended a fitness conference/trade show where one of the featured speakers was Robert Lustig, MD. Lustig has a number of videos on You Tube (one went viral with nearly 4 million views) in which the different kinds of sugars and their effects on the body and brain are discussed.

He covers a lot of ground, and as an MD speaking to a university class, he gets deep into the science. But spending a couple hours hearing him out will help any interested person better understand what his or her sugar cravings are all about.

Last edited:

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Just walked into a Flying J with a Cinnamon Bunn setup.....talk about getting a sugar craving.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Smell - Sight both can easily make me crave sugar and once in my mind it is hard to get it out.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil can you share a little of what you learned at your conference?

The talk Dr. Lustig gave at the conference was pretty-much the same talk that you can see by viewing it on You Tube; see: "Sugar: The Bitter Truth."

The conference was the annual conference and trade show that is held by the franchisor from which Diane and I purchased rights to build and operate our fitness clubs. It was a private event, mostly about the business and the franchise. Our franchise agreement prohibits us from discussing much of the content with people outside the franchise. Lustig was one of several speakers brought in to speak on various topics. His message is not proprietary to the franchise, so, in response to the sugar craving topic, I was happy to share his info.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Smell - Sight both can easily make me crave sugar and once in my mind it is hard to get it out.

One trick someone shared with me about overcoming cravings is to tell yourself that you can have it tomorrow. That provides some relief and, often, she said, when tomorrow comes, the craving does not return.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Another trick I use when wanting something sweet is to get the sugar from something healthy, preferably with plenty of fiber, like peanuts, almonds, even an apple. I'm still getting the sugar, but it's a healthy sugar that you body knows how to deal with. But whenever I crave something specific, like a Cinnebon, I know for sure that that's exactly what I don't need to eat.

1677061944_0fc3d032b1.jpg

I'm cruel, I know. :D

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I try not to drink allot of soda but I found that when the craving hits I try to find Soda made with real sugar like the Pepsi or mountain dew throwback and not aspartame or corn syrup. One 12 oz. of the real deal can does the trick rather than drinking the whole 2 liter of mountain dew with high fructose corn syrup.

A good dietician will also tell you diet success is allowing that SMALL treat every so often rather than denying yourself and going off the deep end due to frustration.
My sweet fix is a handful about 1/2 cup of Nestle semisweet chocolate chips, and the alkaloids in them are beneficial as well.

You only live once and being a medic I've seen just as many vegan, exercise obsessed, health nuts, develop heart disease, stroke, and other health problems as anyone else who just uses common sense.
Everything in moderation and you will be O.K.

Bob Wolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another trick I use when wanting something sweet is to get the sugar from something healthy, preferably with plenty of fiber, like peanuts, almonds, even an apple. I'm still getting the sugar, but it's a healthy sugar that you body knows how to deal with. But whenever I crave something specific, like a Cinnebon, I know for sure that that's exactly what I don't need to eat.

1677061944_0fc3d032b1.jpg

I'm cruel, I know. :D

That would be a good finish for roast venison.
Yummmm.

Bob Wolf