CRAFTSMAN Hand tools are now China junk.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, I'm walking through Ace hardware looking for plumbing fittings, and noticed they sell CARFTSAMAN and I look at the tool sets and say to myself Price, time and fuel wise I might as well buy them here. 10 miles as compared to 25 miles each way to go to Sears Then I noticed the chrome and black Oxide coating looked somewhat cheap like someone painted them with a mop, the overall workmanship seemed to have slid, and the USA stamp was M.I.A. on the wrenches. Then that voice in my head says check the country of origin.

And then,
wtf1.gif !!!............ THEYRE MADE IN CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY? :mad:

Yes, I have friends, family members, as well as myself who have worked as a machinists for a while, so I take this as a personal insult.

$ 80.00 for a set of crows foot sockets? Made in china, not a single American machinist touching them? At that price, I might as well drive 30 miles to Rochester and buy tools at Harbor Freight for $20.00.
Ill hold onto my tools just the same but I don't see myself buying any CARFTSAMAN tools.

Vaughn, Rigid, and I think S.K. still produce American made tools what other companies make decent hand tools stateside.??

Bob Wolf

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Jacobs, the people that brought us the Jake Brake, used to do Craftsman tools.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Same as Bridgeport.
They made the hand tools to maintain the to maintain the lathes and mills. You were able to buy the hand tools as well.
Bob Wolf.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Jacobs, the people that brought us the Jake Brake, used to do Craftsman tools.

To be fair, it was Cummins. His son-in-law, Jacobs, applied for the patent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Spend the xtra $30 and get Snap-on..:cool:
Craftsman used to be fine for around the house and I have many older ones that still offer good service..I havnt been in a Sears store in ages and wonder if the in store tools are any different then what is being sold at other retailers under the Craftsman name.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I always try to "buy American". Therefor I don't buy tools. I hire someone to do the work and then I KNOW it goes to an American! :cool:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.......by the way check your cellphone, see where's it from. List goes on...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My boat and trailer were both made in the US. The outboard in Canada. with is sorta OK to buy from. It is 100% impossible to only buy products made in the US only.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as there are Briggs, Stratton engines made here and some engines, made in Asia.....not all is equal....

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Our Son has a John Deere tractor with a diesel engine from China. John Deere has gone to rice burners!
Like most small JD stuff has a US motor in it where a Cub Cadet by MTD has the Asian one....the price usually is a good indicator....notice I said usually...

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
So, I'm walking through Ace hardware looking for plumbing fittings, and noticed they sell CARFTSAMAN and I look at the tool sets and say to myself Price, time and fuel wise I might as well buy them here. 10 miles as compared to 25 miles each way to go to Sears Then I noticed the chrome and black Oxide coating looked somewhat cheap like someone painted them with a mop, the overall workmanship seemed to have slid, and the USA stamp was M.I.A. on the wrenches. Then that voice in my head says check the country of origin.

And then,
View attachment 8478 !!!............ THEYRE MADE IN CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY? :mad:

Yes, I have friends, family members, as well as myself who have worked as a machinists for a while, so I take this as a personal insult.

$ 80.00 for a set of crows foot sockets? Made in china, not a single American machinist touching them? At that price, I might as well drive 30 miles to Rochester and buy tools at Harbor Freight for $20.00.
Ill hold onto my tools just the same but I don't see myself buying any CARFTSAMAN tools.

Vaughn, Rigid, and I think S.K. still produce American made tools what other companies make decent hand tools stateside.??

Bob Wolf

Craftsman tools have always been just a so,so, standard. Half good, half bad. In the past I've seen 1/2 sockets whatever, that didn't fit 1/2 bolts. I always bought and used them myself though,because they were cheaper than really good tools,like Snapon or Mack,because you couldn't beat the warranty,walk into Sears with any tool for any reason,and they replaced it, no questions ask. Sears was on every corner,just about. Not the best tools but you could not beat that warranty. You only lost if you lost the tool.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I went into a Sears store in Hawaii in the mid 80's and told them my torque wrench was out of tolerance they seemed to balk on that until I told them that I had the Fleet Mechanical Calibration Lab that worked for me and they verified out of tolerance. They replaced it with the one I still have now. It was a special reward to see the confused look on their faces.:cool:
Craftsman tools have always been just a so,so, standard. Half good, half bad. In the past I've seen 1/2 sockets whatever, that didn't fit 1/2 bolts. I always bought and used them myself though,because they were cheaper than really good tools,like Snapon or Mack,because you couldn't beat the warranty,walk into Sears with any tool for any reason,and they replaced it, no questions ask. Sears was on every corner,just about. Not the best tools but you could not beat that warranty. You only lost if you lost the tool.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't bought tools from a tool truck in years because even Snap on and MAC sell allot of imported tools. I know its imposable to buy everything made in America form source to finished product but as I posted on another thread that's why our economy is in the crapper. .

Made in Canada? That's fine at least they belive in the concept of FAIR TRADE agreements and realistic currency value.

Bob Wolf