Courier Minivan use

coastline

Expert Expediter
I have been in commercial transportation for 18 yrs. I currently have a 2013 Dodge Grand caravan that I'm very interested in getting into the courier/expediting business in NW Lower Michigan. Have been turned away by all couriers I've contacted. It uses Flexfuel and I average 22 mpg and over 25 with regular 87 octane
Can someone please guide me in the proper direction to utilize this vehicle and put it to work? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 63

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I currently have a 2013 Dodge Grand caravan that I'm very interested in getting into the courier/expediting business in NW Lower Michigan. Have been turned away by all couriers I've contacted.
Why have you been turned away by all courier companies you've contacted?

Trailblazer

Expert Expediter
Try looking into Pharmacutial deliveries. I left expediting 15 months ago, bought a Transit Connect and am making more money than I ever made in expediting. Plus I'm home every day and work when I want to work.

Reactions: Moot

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been in commercial transportation for 18 yrs. I currently have a 2013 Dodge Grand caravan that I'm very interested in getting into the courier/expediting business in NW Lower Michigan. Have been turned away by all couriers I've contacted. It uses Flexfuel and I average 22 mpg and over 25 with regular 87 octane
Can someone please guide me in the proper direction to utilize this vehicle and put it to work? Thanks in advance.

With that size of vehicle probably you'll make it with Uber or newspaper delivery... expediting companies want cargo vans (no window vans)...

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also go to air lines in your area as they may be looking for people to deliver late incoming baggage.
to take to customer

Reactions: RedBird

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just hauled back a electronic drumset a volvo jet boat motor and a room divider in my car from FL to Tx so I think you could make it happen :eek: Sprinter sitting. 2006 AC design won't hang with over 90 degree temps, what do you do buy a car for $2k and stay cool or buy a $35k Sprinter and stay cool...

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I agree with two earlier OP's. The minivan would be great for pharmaceutical deliveries or delivering luggage to travelers when it misses flights.
I picked up an account back in January picking up at O'Hare airport to deliver freight local and out of state. You can use a minivan for the job which, I was using for a while, but found using a cargo van or sprinter or even a pickup truck with a full size bed with a cap, would do the job. However with a pickup/cap combo your limited as to what and how much freight you can haul in the vehicle.

kcalvello

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
US Army
We are a small courier company in the Philadelphia area.
What department of the airline would you have to contact for their small cargo business.
Any info would help us..

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
go where bags come in to be pickup , check with each airlines baggage office

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not to be a killjoy but if you cannot get the van hired out to make local deliveries someone has to ask the hard questions. In the ten years of being an owner operator, several years driving for others, and being self employed various trades since I was in my early teens I have come across these situations at one time or another.

1) Do you have your own authority? If no are you willing to obtain it?
2) Do you have the proper insurance? Minn US dollars. $1,000,000 auto liability $1,000,000 general business liability, $100,000 freight, Workers comp if required by your state or the carrier? Accident specific insurance that covers you in the event you are injured while working? This is different from personal medical insurance?
3) Medical insurance?
4) DOT physical and drug screen? Allot of local companies require it.
5) D.B.A. - Doing Business As filed with your county or state clerk? Other town, city, county business credentials permits or license?
6) What is your driving and insurance record?
7) What is your criminal record?
8) Are you willing to invest in equipment to meet your customer or carrier needs.
Size matters in this business.
9) Are you in an area where the market is over saturated with small vehicle deliveries?
10) What is your backup plan for coverage? Who will cover for you for medical appointments, illness, injury, vacation, etc.
11) What is your legal status? In other words are you a legal citizen / are you authorized to work in the U.S.A.?
12) Are you and can you be legally bound to a contract? Most companies require you to enter into a EXCLUSIVE or dedicated contract. Non compete agreement Customers / Carrier is the only source of work and their freight only.
13) Escrow to cover cover the cost or loss to the carrier or customer.
14) What are you charging? Too high or too low to be taken seriously.
15) What is the mechanical condition of your vehicle? Most companies look hard at vehicles over 5-6 yrs old.
16) Do you have contracts in place with truck suppliers and towing companies for immediate access to equipment in the event your vehicle is unavailable? In for service, breaks down, or is in a wreck?

I have had people including friends and family members ask me if they can drive for me. Anytime I have someone ask I give them this list. Its a tough list to meet but your customer/s expect these and more.