~ Cost Saving Devices ~

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Cost saving devices... a hard one. Wait... Eyes, ears, nose, hands, feet!
I've mentioned this a few times before. How about a pre-trip inspection. No, not the logbook kind, I mean actually DOING it!
This is the #1 means of truck preventive maintenance. There is no substitute.
I have found more small problems on PTI's that could have developed into much bigger problems, to the point of downtime tragedies, had I not taken the time on a daily basis to not only do the PTI, but to observe the operating characteristics of my truck, and especially its fluid levels.
Every day, or every time you stop for fuel. Pull that hood open, and give things the once over. It will save you many $ over the turbo-zippy-snap-crackle-inboard-outboard-magic fuel tank and crankcase Z675-67X military grade addative!

Happy Holidays,
Weave

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
This may not be of much help to most of you but I saved a lot by buying through my local Dodge dealer ( I know , most of you have no use for a Doge vehicle unless it is possibly a Sprint ) I saved $1500 by financing through Chrysler and nobody believes this but if I get all service done at that dealership I get free tires for the life of the truck . I questioned this when it was offered but yes , it's true . I drive a lot of miles but they get a lot of service business too . I'm in the shop every 2 weeks for at least an oil change and tire rotation . I also get every 5th oil change free . I checked prices and other shops actually charge more than this dealer . For fuel purchases I also started with then abandoned ComData . I'm paid by direct deposit . The Truckers Advantage card through OOIDA is a good card . There are a few Marathon stations in my operating area . If you get a Marathon card you get a 10% discount on purchases the first 90 days then 5% after that . Currently the Marathon station at the 555 exit on the Blue Grass Parkway in KY has the lowest fuel price I've seen lately - $1.89 a gallon . Then take 10% off that . If you fuel at a Speedway they are selling $25 gift certificates for $24 . Buy $100 worth of fuel with 4 certificates and you save 4 bucks . Watch where you send faxes from . I found Love's charges less than other major truck stops .

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have to agree with Weave. A good preventive maintenance program is your best money saver. Know your equipment,and inspect it religously. If you detect problems early. You will save yourself alot of money in repairs and lengthy downtimes which result in loss revenue. You can pay a little now or alot later. Also, when repairing your equipment. Don't go cheap. You get what you pay for. Better to repair it right the first time. Then have to have it repaired twice. In the end, it will cost less to spend the money and have the job done right the first time.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Well I will admit that my PTI is not as good as some but better than others, if I would have done a better one the last time I fueled I would have seen that I blew BOTH rear shocks. How could that have saved money you ask. Truck was 1000 miles out of warrenty when I saw it. $130.00 Big dummy.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I know this sounds crazy, but I actually enjoy doing the PTI and I drive the mechanics nuts with rookie questions but they shoot straight with me I have and enjoy talking and I enjoy listening to them even if I already knew what they were explaining. Do not interupt them as they eventually talk about something I did not know.

Second, it was listed under the driver profile. Last Sunday Muncie IN 10 degree 40mph winds, was not going to fuel or PTI to darn cold. Well guess what? That darn buzzer went off for the first time just sitting there in the truck stop when I was getting ready for breakfeast. What in the hell is that I thougt followed the noise to that pesky little tire guage below the glove box. The rear driver outside tire had fallen to 86psi. Like I said above to cold to get a tire guage out that day, so what did it save me? I do not have to tell any of you how cold it was up there this last week who acutally can say they checked there air pressure and if I did not how much lower would that tire of dropped and how many miles would I have put on it till I actually checked it again? Glad I bought the unit and can actually say it is now paying for itself.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When you ask about cost-saving devices, the first thing that comes to mind is, well...my mind. I use it to remember to check the air pressure in my tires and to develop fuel-saving driving techniques. Total cost: $0. Total savings: Substantial.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
An Espar air heater is a great investment. It uses either diesel or gas from the vehicle's fuel tank so it is very convienient to use. It uses about 1 gallon per 15 to 20 hours as oppossed to 1 1/2 gallons per hour running your engine. It costs between $1200 and $1700 depending on the model but you will save that much in half a winter as oppossed to running your engine. The burner part of the heater is outside under the vehicle so you get no gases inside. The unit is maintainence free and stone reliable.
There are links on this site to Espar of Michigan. I suggest you call them and atleast consider the espar. I haven't talked to anyone who is disappointed with theirs.

danzman50

Expert Expediter
I recently purchased valve caps for all my tires, when the pressure is good, the cap color is green, if I lose 3 to 5 lbs, it turns yellow, and any more then that, it goes red.
I drive a t/t, and it's a real pain checkin all my tires, so now all I do is while I'm walking around doin my pretrip, is check the color, IT WONDERFUL!!!

Dan

http://www.accupressurecaps.com/

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
I agree that PTI's, proper maintenance, taking advantage of discounts and in general spending wisely are all ways in which we can make our money go further...However this thread is about
***************** DEVICES ***********************************

Hat's off to davekc... centramatics wheel balancers
to broompilot ... automated air pressure warning system
to danzman50 ... air pressure valve stem caps

I know there are other worthwile devices out there...
Please share your device and again please advise the approximate cost and installation costs if installation is necessary.

The mutual benefit of all three of these devices in addition to other specific benefits is that each one can save time... time is money!!!

Irishjim

Expert Expediter
Tommy, ***************Devices************ It seems like we might have to put some devices on yourr little wrists, behind your back, to keep you from trying to control things. Buuut than again we'd miss all that good advice you share. Hang in there, they'll get your point!!! Jim.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
where to order value cover's
when i had the star genset was a great fuel saver with the cost
of fuel today
in first truck that i had a genset saved 12,000 dollars in fuel and
4,000 dollar's in maint cost
and a good pti and maint plan is a sure bet
don't for get oil sample ever once and a while
on the fuel i like tk7 has given me about 1.5 miles per gal in star
and on sprinter getting about 25 to 28 mpg steady
don't do jack rabbit starts and that save's alot

Draco

Expert Expediter
>on the fuel i like tk7 has given me about 1.5 miles per gal
>in star and on sprinter getting about 25 to 28 mpg steady
>don't do jack rabbit starts and that save's alot

Where can you buy this tk7 I have a Sprinter and I'd like to see that kind of increase. :)

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Dan, Thanks for the info on the caps. That may be a good answer to my attempt to get my drivers to watch the air pressure. I have not wanted to add al the other stuff on there maybe this will be just the ticket. Sounds pretty easy. Great tip thanks. Be careful out there and Happy New Year!

The Owner who once went by RACEMAN but due to the outcome of the Nextel Cup, am now just 6.