Cooling Off

captmike

Expert Expediter
I have a 1 ton cargo van that is a dark color.I need some idea's on how to keep it cool.Does anyone have any idea's? I'm new to this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Insulation will give you the best service for keeping out the heat or cold. Lot's of folks have a foam insulation sprayed on but I think it looks nasty unless covered.

I use the pink stuff, found at Home Depot or Lowes, behind a sheet of 1/8" luan plywood (commonly called door skins). I fasten a foam backed cloth material to the ply with 3M spray glue, also Home Depot.
I secured the fabrick covered ply to the framework of the walls and overhead with selftapping screws. Fabric covered buttons and button holders can be used to hide the screw heads. These can be obtained at places like JoAnn Fabric stores.

I also have a solid wall aft of the sleeper area of the van to minimize the area needed to be insulated or climate controlled. Additionally, I have a passive vent with fan in the overhead that lets the heat out even when vehicle unattended. It's baffled so the rain can't get in.

A top-of-the-line Fan-Tastic fan is also a great feature. I had two of them in my last van. I would put one on "exhaust" and the other on "in" to get a good air flow. A screen on them keeps the bugs out.

captmike

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the information Terryandrene.Where would I get a Fan-Tastic Fan? Like I said I'm new to this and any help is apprecitaed.Thanks Captmike

captmike

Expert Expediter
You guy's made my day.I'm going to see it I can get one installed, I was also thinking of getting one installed in the back. Do you think the one in the back will help?I'm going go insulate and cover the back with the sheeting that terryandrene suggested.Also going to install the balkhead and insulate.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A vent in the back will help but you won't need it if you've got the bulkhead 'tween you and the cargo area. Don't put the wall too far back if it's permanently afixed. You shoud save at least 8.5 feet of floor space to the door so you can handle two 48"x48" standard skids.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just got a pkg of window shades from walmart that are the foil like material. I put the shiny side facing out and put them where they block the most sun, whether in the windshield or side windows. They make a big difference on heat infiltration. If you are using any other type window shade you might want to switch and see if that helps any more.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Having a wall between you & the cargo area is helpful, (keeping in mind the room for freight) because it's a much smaller area to heat or cool for comfort. I used the window shades too, until I got some fabric at Walmart for $1.00 a yard, & some Velcro, and put pieces of Velcro above the windows, & on squares of fabric cut to fit, so now I can screen the whole interior, with no gaps. It doesn't take long to do, plus it's quick to put up & take down, so it's a big improvement for a small investment. The fabric I chose is semisheer, so I can see out, but you can't see in, which is nice.