Cool sound file- old detroit diesels

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I dug this one up last night as I was surfing around. If anybody else is a fan of the old-school trucks with 2-stroke Detroit Diesels, then check this out. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ryq/

Play the sound files of Big Red Express . Big Red was a canadian truck that competed in the Big Rigs pulling series a few years ago. A 12V71 with 85psi of boost and turning 6500 RPM. It has since retired, but many of the competetitors still use the same highly modified 12v71 engine that it had. This engine has the old 2-stroke loping idle and then a great example of the absoulutely sick RPM's hat they can turn. The second file is of an actuall run down the track, when he shifts it sounds beautiful. Crank the speakers and enjoy.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing quite like the sound of an old Detroit. I think they still make the 2 cycles for marine and off road use.

The only Detriot I ever ran was in a Brazilain made Ford cabover straight truck. I believe that one ran up to 3000 or 3200 r.p.m. Not near as much fun as the bigger ones with a 13 or 18 speed and a full load. Wind em up!

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I ran a brazilian 7.8 in a ford cargo for a while. Best 2-stroke I had the pleasure of driving was a '79 W900 with an 8V-92 and a 15 speed. Straight piped too.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hell yeah,
lost my virginity to a 2 cycle detroit with a 9 speed... Was told the only way to keep oil in it was to redline all the way, wish I could drive her again!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You guys are starting to scare me here....You actually listen to engine sounds?! For entertainment?!

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Well, I do have this login name for a reason. When i was 3 I could sit on my dad's lap in the front seat and tell you what kind of truck was approaching. At 13, I drove my first 13-speed, and at 16 was running deliveries across Michigan. It's kind of in my blood, and there's no way out now. Little boys play with trucks at age 3, 20 years later, I just play with bigger ones.

mrgoodtude- I was always told that when it stops leaking oil, then worry.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A very funny writer, Donald Westlake, has a character in the gang-that-always-gets-goofed-up books, a driver who listens to albums of engine sounds for relaxation, I always thought that was amusing, but not something anyone would actually do - I stand corrected, lol.
And, considering some of what I hear blasting from people's speakers these days, the engine sounds are preferable!;)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have read every one of Donald Westlakes books. The character Cherri is referring to is Stan Murch who is a cab driver in Brooklyn NY. His Mother also drives a cab. This guy is such a great author. There is gang of theives that attempt to pull off capers and ususlly absolutly nothing goes right.Very good humor.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Stan Murch is a driver to the core - besides listening to engines for fun, he has absolutely no conversation that doesn't involve which of the 37 ways to get from here to there in New York is better than the other 36 ways - so it's educational, as well as hilarious. ;)

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Boy, That brings back memories. I can still hear those old 671s in the 30' and 40' rescue boats when I was in the service. Loved em.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Used to drive what was called a CRACKER BOX GMC. She had a backwards 10 speed tranny and a 318 Detroit. I'd leave Atlanta going to Seattle with 2 5 gallon cans of oil in each side compartment. Oh, by the way, She had 2 50 gal. fuel tanks too. Somewhere around say a thousand miles, I'd pull into a truck stop. The fuel boys would come runnin' out and say"filler up sir"? I'd say YEP lets filler up with oil and would you check the fuel while you're at it.

Pappy

35 years OTR T/T :)