Congress Targets Detention Time at The Docks

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Reports/2011/Feb/021711.shtml

From the article.
"The bill calls for a final rule to be in place one year after enactment that would deal with issues of driver safety, hours of service, violations and penalties relating to detention. Shippers and receivers would have to compensate truck drivers that are detained beyond a reasonable amount of time determined by the study and rulemaking."quote

If this proposal does not add another layer of regulation to the driver's life,It might be helpful.

jimmy

Last edited:

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Reports/2011/Feb/021711.shtml

From the article.
"The bill calls for a final rule to be in place one year after enactment that would deal with issues of driver safety, hours of service, violations and penalties relating to detention. Shippers and receivers would have to compensate truck drivers that are detained beyond a reasonable amount of time determined by the study and rulemaking."quote

If this proposal does not add another layer of regulation to the driver's life,It might be helpful.

jimmy

Unfortunately, stuff like this always adds a layer of regulation to us, one way or the other. It's one more law that will be virtually impossible to enforce, and only serves to make your shipper a lawbreaker. This could all be solved by carriers and brokers placing detention as an unavoidable item in their contract instead of giving away the farm.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And just WHY do carriers do that...I mean carriers have the wheels...shippers have the freight...? RE: NLM is just stupid to give them 4 hours total on a load...I've had shippers hold me for 1hr and 50 mins as they were still running product...I'd hate to be on the log book.... No reason for carriers to kiss booty that `bad....Find other customers and leave it on the dock...:mad:

also these buddy buddy carriers that get together at these conferences and seminars should be discussing mass action with the coming of CSA....It is an important issue....all Alliance.Selectus members boycott NLM...

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Even another regulation would be an improvement over the current situation, wouldn't it? We're required to log the wait time as 'on duty', which is strictly limited time for us, while the shippers and consignees have almost no incentive to minimize the time. Detention is predicated upon the time it takes to load/unload a t/t, [2 hrs in most cases], and the amounts are not anywhere near enough to serve as the deterrent they were meant to be - not even pocket change for them.
The 14 hr rule leaves just 3 hrs for 'on duty, not driving', and using it all at the dock leaves nothing for whatever else [fueling, inspections, etc] we have to account for.
If the shipper were held responsible for getting trucks in and out in a reasonable amount of time, maybe they'd even make a phone call to reschedule the pickup time, so the driver could use the time more productively. What a concept!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
And just WHY do carriers do that...I mean carriers have the wheels...shippers have the freight...? RE: NLM is just stupid to give them 4 hours total on a load...I've had shippers hold me for 1hr and 50 mins as they were still running product...I'd hate to be on the log book.... No reason for carriers to kiss booty that `bad....Find other customers and leave it on the dock...:mad:

also these buddy buddy carriers that get together at these conferences and seminars should be discussing mass action with the coming of CSA....It is an important issue....all Alliance.Selectus members boycott NLM...

Who told you that NLM gives away 4 hours? Maybe with one specific customer, but MY contract with NLM doesn't say that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard that VW just set-up their own load board...yet another screen dispatchers have to watch....their house, their rules....wanna haul it....behave as in comply...:(

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who told you that NLM gives away 4 hours? Maybe with one specific customer, but MY contract with NLM doesn't say that.
BOTH U.S carriers I've been with they that Jeff....that is all I have to go by.....that is 2 at the front end...2 at the back end

My Canadian carrier was 2 hours TOTAL...beginning and end...

1 1/2 at the start plus 1 hr at the end TOTAL 2 1/2....I'd get 1/2 hour D time...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's funny, I never had a minute of on duty time at a dock that wasn't actual loading or unloading. If they weren't ready my book and I went off duty in the "hotel" until they got ready and then it was back on duty for the 15 minute segment before driving again.

My carrier allows 2 hours for a van and 3 hours for a S/T, total, on the entire run. If I am held 2 hours at the shipper then detention time starts the minute I arrive at the consignee. My other carriers, and I think almost all others, consider pu/del as two unique events and allow 2 hours on both ends. I like the combining much better of course.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's funny, I never had a minute of on duty time at a dock that wasn't actual loading or unloading. If they weren't ready my book and I went off duty in the "hotel" until they got ready and then it was back on duty for the 15 minute segment before driving again.

My carrier allows 2 hours for a van and 3 hours for a S/T, total, on the entire run. If I am held 2 hours at the shipper then detention time starts the minute I arrive at the consignee. My other carriers, and I think almost all others, consider pu/del as two unique events and allow 2 hours on both ends. I like the combining much better of course.
Leo that is much more reasonable...but kind of backwards at the same time.....straights are on the clock/log and they give more allowance for them....you'd think it be the other way around?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I think the shorter time for a van is because it doesn't have to wait on a dock as long as there's a ramp available and also is almost always no more than 2 skids. Personally I think it should be one hour total for a van and no more than 2 total for trucks but not my call.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we picked up in the o hare area. can't remember the town. big facility and all the docks were full. they even had a guy on the street marshalling trucks.
"hey we are an expedite"
"get in line"

i walk in and there were 14 trucks in the docks and 4 forklifts working and a bunch of local drivers on the clock sitting on the bench. went to the window and finally got a don't care clerk. told her "we get 60 dollars and hour to sit starting now. we were not local p & d. we expedite and i have a schedule to keep or get paid to sit." suddenly the dock supr showed up and we got loaded.

14 doors and 4 fl operators. i hope defazio wins his case.

moose

Veteran Expediter
This is a grave OOIDA dig for themselves, & there's no way i will support that.
not only that it is uncalled for, but it will drive the Gov. deeper into my checkbook.

virtually makes us all Gov. employees working minimum wages while sitting on the duck.

i am a small business owner, and can compete for my bread, the gov. have no place in running my business, or telling me how mach i can charge MY costumers .

asking the Gov. to protect our minimum rates will limit the amount we can make real quick.
if we ask the Gov. to place a price over our time, that time will becomes the hourly rates in which we get paid for, and the Gov. will tell us how mach money we are allow to make.

like i said here so many times before, we need to stop looking for the gov. to solve our incapability in competing for the freight. if we ask the gov. to regulate our competition, they WILL ends up regulating us.

what next ?
charging your dispatch for the time you are waiting for a load ?, asking the Gov. to tell you the amount you need to charge your carrier for your time ?... any time not driving ? do we need the Gov. to pay for our time sitting in traffic ?, construction ?, AR flooding ?
time is time right ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You make a great point moose..the industry created this issue the industry should fix the problem....say NO to government involvement....

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Detention time wasn't taken from your company. Your salesholes GAVE it away while trying to make a penny for themselves.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
we picked up in the o hare area. can't remember the town. big facility and all the docks were full. they even had a guy on the street marshalling trucks.
"hey we are an expedite"
"get in line"

i walk in and there were 14 trucks in the docks and 4 forklifts working and a bunch of local drivers on the clock sitting on the bench. went to the window and finally got a don't care clerk. told her "we get 60 dollars and hour to sit starting now. we were not local p & d. we expedite and i have a schedule to keep or get paid to sit." suddenly the dock supr showed up and we got loaded.

14 doors and 4 fl operators. i hope defazio wins his case.

Jack, why do you need Defazio to win? You just stood up to them and won your own case. Big union docks employ people that don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. All they needed was a swift kick and they saw those $$ leaving.

Nice job.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've used that ploy of Jacks myself....well you guys have your fun...I'll just go out and make 60 bucks an hour...on your bosses payroll....lol

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Moose: when the government stops requiring drivers to log waiting at the dock time as "on duty, not driving" and limiting that time to 14 hrs after the first minute of on duty time, I will stop expecting the government to fix the problem they've created.
Because it doesn't look like the shippers, consignees, or carriers are going to 'voluntarily' change a situation that isn't costing them enough to bother with. :(

moose

Veteran Expediter
like stated above, a driver needs not to log 'on duty' while in the duck, unless he is involved in a duty.
the sulutions is a fix to the HOS, allowing drivers to move for a safe heaven, while released from the duck,

and making shippers and local gov. responsible for providing such heaven.

Problem is, this will not make shippers pay more for moving the freight.

it's a 'feel good law' ... at best.

just like a mandatory FSC, no way to enforce, and will never makes the shippers pay more for delivering the freight.

it can, however, easily, reduce truckers income.
Wanna bet the ATA behind this ? (maybe not yet, just give them some time, they big and slow)

here's a story.
it's a bit long, but , well. ,it's expedite, and at this time of night, you probably won't get a load tonight so read on :)

i was reading this story a few years ago, while visiting the family in NYC.
there was a Quince daycare that had a real problem.
they will watch the kids till 5pm,& the parents needs to PU the kids before that, so they can go home.
problem was, out of 40 baby's, there was always one or 2, parents hoe be late.
since it is the big city, competition amongst Day Care provided is bad. and the after hours, not only cost more to keep the building open, but the owner had a very hard time finding nanny's for that last shift.
all letters to the parents over the years did not do the trick.
so one day the Owner had enough.
she informed the parents, that they leaves her no choice but to charge over time for every baby left after 5pm.
not mach, very little, just so the parents will know.
within 4 weeks, there was 6 baby's left behind daily, sometimes up until 6:30 in the evening ,and in one case the police had to be called for a mommy hoe simply did not showed up.
this was a nightmare .
something needed to be done,
so the next week, the parents got a letter.
an early Pu will reduced the charges,
and from that point on, an 8$ fee will be charged for every 30 minutes late.
2 months later, and most of the parents would be late. sometimes very late.
that's when child services becomes real interested in what is going on with that daycare...
simply said, the parents got a price for their child time, and would decide if to stay at work longer, make a stop along the way, or whatever.