Computer Problem

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Ok Phil you are correct, I owe you an apology. One must understand all of the frustration that I have gone thru with this being down and taking it around not like this is what I had in mind for my week at home. Second thing is these were the actual owners of both stores I went to, second one talked my wife thru it but it took longer than expected.

Computer know it all, nope not me, I did nothing different than from before and everytime home plug it up as to take care of the weeds.

This also adds to the items of my other posts nickle and dimed its only $ but time cannot be replaced.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with Docrushing and others; I downloaded a trial version of Norton to XP to a flash drive, and tried it, then paid for it. I had no virus protection since XP was installed on this older Compaq Presario. However, I had always used McAfee previously. I noticed that SBC/Yahoo, my e-mail provider, had used Norton and I never had any spam or virus issues. So... I went with Norton.
No problems whatsoever have been experienced. Having just got my friend a Dell laptop, I am not impressed with Dell! for a number of reasons. First, it highlights things (static?) and wants to jump around. Second, the power cord didn't work, and had to be replaced. It is hers, so she has to sort it all out. I would not have a Dell, seeing it up close, maybe a Toshiba is the best one out there.

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
I'm not computer Geek my wife dog sits for one he maintaines my computer, his living at repair place. I have SBC DSL, Mozilla Foxfire search engine , virus stuff Webroot Window Washer, Webroot Spysweeper, Avira AntiVir [has red with white umbrella]. The computer is built w/ various compnents no brand name. I had Compaque Preario Windows 95. I gave up on that in 1999. If I have some info. goofed up here I will have computer man correct me. Oh he has me run up dates everyday on virus cleaners. My son and daughter don't do this and both have trouble!!
Sincerely Tom Tinker :) :+ ;)

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I have used both Norton and McAfee in past years. Fortunately, I have not had any problems, but both of their software programs are grossly overpriced for the casual user.

As an sbcglobal.net user I am afforded free anti-spam, anti virus, pop up blocker, email protection and parental controls included in my monthly DSL charge.

So far these software programs have worked very well. Only once in two years did an update fail. A quick call to the Help Desk alerted them to the problem and within an hour they corrected a programming error in their update. I could still use my computer without interruption.

To date, I am a completely satisfied customer.

PS. It is refreshing to see the courtesy being shown to all members with differing opinions. Keep up the good work!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I repeat: Thermal vascular milk modules?! C'mon, guys, help me out here - I am envisioning cows who get headaches from sunlight...:+

phatTweaker

Expert Expediter
>Computer know it all, nope not me, I did nothing different
>than from before and everytime home plug it up as to take
>care of the weeds.
>
Who is "Computer know it all"? If you were referring to me and my last statement about being careful of what one clicks on or opens I didn't mean to imply your PC problems arose by u clicking on a rogue file.

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
The free programs mentioned by phatTweaker are available @ Komando.com.

Most firewalls will block internet access if your computer is being attacked, this sounds like what might have happened.

I have my computer set for automatic updates, but it does't always update because it goes into sleep mode. I solved this by keeping a game on which keeps the computer from going into sleep mode. I have my updates set for middle of the night and they just minimize the game and do their update.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I've tried a few different programs, and while Norton did catch the viruses, etc, I did have a lot of trouble with it shutting down some of my other programs, sites, etc. Maybe they've fixed that since then, (2004), but it caused several crashes on my computer. I have since used AVG Grisoft program with excellent results. I also and adware program. For those who don't get it, the Kim Komando newsletter is a great source of info, and reviews. She has a lot of links to free programs also.

http://www.komando.com

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

The Strength of The Great, is found in their Restraint.

-------------------

---------

Florida

Expert Expediter
Computer Degrees out the yahoo...same here.

>>After 20 years in the IT industry in both field service and
>>as an admin and 2 degrees in the field A.A.S., M.A. I'm glad
>>to be driving a truck.
>
>Information Technology...the answer to America's truck
>driver shortage!

WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

Same here. I've been FIGHTING with personal comuters since 1983. Did a little bit of everything; programming, networking, telecommunications, SysOp for a BBS board, pc tech, network tech.
Fortran, Javascript, Pascal, Basic, Cobol, Visual Basic .NET, Windows NT, Novell Netware, Linux, Windows 2000 Profess and 2000 Server, Exchange 2000, Windows, Xp -Home/Proffess, Windows 2003 Server, Small Business Server, ISA Server, all those Microsoft Office apps (Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Publisher, Frontpage, and I'm still going strong after 23 years - already have a MCSE, a MCSA, A+, Network+, Certified Internet Webmaster CIW-Security, and even own Network Security Solutions on the side as a Registered Microsoft Partner. Plan on starting on CISCO next.

Get this (all you people) I was reading an ad for a PC TECH from a local placement agency for $12-$14/hr. I can go down to Yellow/Roadway and drive a truck starting out at $15, and capping at $22/hr. Something seriously wrong with this picture.

I don't know about you, but I have invested years of my life, and have gone into debt to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars to achieve this "marketable" skill level and "professional" expertise; only to see that nobody down here (in FLorida at least) wants to pay SQUAT for a highly technical skill; and believe me, trucking isn't that much better down here as far as rates go. The UNION carrier I mentioned is about the highest to be found around these parts - but all that requires is 3 weeks of CDL training, and a few thousand dollars for education; nothing in comparison to what's involved in setting up a network, maintaining it, securing it, and doing scripting and programming. Granted, programming has come a long way since when I started - it was all command line driven and EVERY SINGLE SYNTAX HAD TO BE PERFECT. Nowadays, people use frontpage to built web pages instead of learning HTML code, and use Visual Basic and C+ to do most of their hard coding for them. It's all almost point and click now. LINUX/UNIX is the exception; with their SHELLS.
Novell is getting around that with a slick GUI window enviroment for their SuSe offering.

By the time I'm finished I'll have a MSNET-AS, NVNET-AS and CISCO-AS along with all those other Microsoft techical certifications - tons of time and money invested, and really nothing to show for it.

I have even seen one place advertise for a (entry level I suppose) PC TECH for $6/hr. Gimme a break here, I can grab a shovel and dig holes for more than that - without any education.

I stopped countng how many times I've gone through an entire disk reformat and reinstall of XP over here.

The trucking industry is not without its faults as well. I have 30 years experience in thie "arena", dating back to 1975 as an OO for Mayflower. The way that this entire industry is set up is to deliver on CREDIT ( a bad idea in the first place), get paid by some off the wall scheme of miles, percentages, of ton/mile, or whatever, but almost NEVER for the actual hours of time worked.

I've driven for a truck company here in FLorida (the one with the bent out of alignment steering wheel, amoung many other DOT violations), which paid me on a ton/mile basis. Out of a 15 hour day, I was only compensated when I was delivering LOADED, depending on the weight of the load. It was 2 trips from Orlando to Okeechoobee each day. I was paid for the 2 hour drive down to Okee loaded, and (as a W-2 employee company driver) drove back for free. Waiting in lines at pickup and delivery points were FREE. Going to refuel at the terminal - FREE TIME. So, it boiled down to 4 hours of pay for a 15 hour work day; not to mention the commute back and forth from the house.

Trick is to find a company that will pay by the hour. I know for one, as an employee I want to be paid for every minute on the job, driving or not, and I want overtime past 40 hours. Not with this Okeechobee gang. It was straight ton/mile, 2 trips per day, six days /week. 65-70 hours a week easy; paid for about 24-25.

Gets kinda of more complicated when you're a IC contractor, and even worse when dealing with third party logistics types. I think the worst case scenario is to be an IC O.O. running exempt freight (reefer, produce, etc)under your own authority, and contending with these 3PL types.

Anyone, to make this 500 page story short, I drive trucks and fix computers and networks, and still can't make any money.

Florida

Expert Expediter
Fast Fix

Ditto on the Norton, I'm using Microsoft's Beta freebie Eval over here; and also using their Live Communications server Beta eval for my website. (it's nice not to have to pay for all this stuff).
Even won a complimentary Action Pack subscription. They just keep sending these free CD disks in the mail all the time. (Some of it comes as being a Registered Microsoft Partner).

It's McAfee I avoid. Been using Norton for years. The guy knows his stuff (Pete Norton who sold out to Symantec); he dates back to DOS offering during the mid 1980's.

As for the division of disk partitions, usually what you mentioned holds true for server applications; keeps its easy for backups and maintenance. For the regular Joe home user, I'd save save a few important files on either 1.44 floppies or burn them on a CD/DVD.
When the computer starts to act up - just tear the thing down, reformat, reinstall, and rebuild, and copy over those important files. Lots easier, and about as fast. It takes my machine about 3 hours to do a clean re-install of XP. You can spend the same amount of time beating on the box, trying to track down problems getting grey hairs in the process.

When the malware (adware, spyware, tracking cookies, ROOT KITS expescially) get into your machine, just wipe the entire disk clean and start new. Those root kits are almost impossible to detect and eradicate, and a lot devious spyware simply hides in the registry or operating system, and just RE-INSTALLS it's little bugger butt all by itself.

Key thing for the novice people is that use only ONE software firewall product. There is the potential for conflicts (as with Norton and the built in XP firewall), which may counteract each other out- and you effectively wind up with NO firewall.

I use a couple of anti-virus solutions here (Norton being one), and quite a few malware detection programs. One might not catch everything alone, so I always stack the deck in my favor by loading a few and running each. Microsoft Windows DEFENDER is a good freebie BETA product. (notice how I go for the word "free" like a magnet...)

The guy with the problem with the PC not working properly could have had a power surge and hard disk crash (where the read/write head smacks into the actual surface of the disk totalling damaging that sector forever). I was on my PC this morning about 4:30am when the power fluctuated for a half second - enough of a jolt to cause the lights to flicker, and the PC to conduct an entire reboot.
And no, I don't have a UPS; but I am taking donations....

Signed,
poor and starving O.O. IC contractor driver and Microsoft engineer and systems admin. (I wasn't kidding about the money and salaries down here in FLorida)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RE: Computer Degrees out the yahoo...same here.

Florida,

If you think you have it bad, compete with autoworkers who have some skill and get hired because they are subsidized by the state and UAW.

Also I can't compete with all my experence and skills with people who take a class or two, build a few websites and callthemselves consultants. They are the cheap freight of the IT world - so I drive for a living and will add another truck soon.