Common sense dispatching

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oxymoronic? Possibly. Why would dispatch send out an offer 69% deadhead paying $2xx for 6xx miles? Surely nobody says yes to 3 miles to the dollar.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like throwing your line into a new fishin hole....ya never know what or in this case who might bite....it is their job to try....our job to say yes or no....simple actually...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I was severely chastised for not accepting a load like that. It was the most unpleasant exchange I've had with a dispatcher. I think what happened is that the load planner grabbed a very high paying load since it was in an area that usually had a high concentration of surplus vehicles then found that there were no available drivers--then panicked. And I was on the receiving end of the terror.

eb

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well common sense "dispatching" would imply that there is dispatching going on but what many seem to experience with one company is broadcasting.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A good dispatch/load planner should never have even bid on a load like that unless they were prepared to give everything they had in it, just to move you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well decide the issue up based on what type of company, Leo is talking about a package company not a freight company hence he is getting broadcasts not being dispatched.

While others seem to be dealing with companies who don't know what quality dispatching is - load-1 may be an exception but others are not.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
They were probably reaching for anyone to take it and I don't think they care or understand what expenses we have. If you were in a company vehicle the company would stop them from making such a poor decision.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

AlphaE

Active Expediter
Get ready to hurt me but I am a dispatcher and I never yell at any of my drivers if they do not take a load. I work with o/o so they have every right to tell me to take a flying leap. Further more there is no way I would have ever taken a load like that! I think more and more companies are just putting bodies in seats for dispatch (example Schneider...believe me I know, I used to work there) that know nothing of the industry let alone the expenses that are incurred. Most people I have worked for in the past just chase dollars (the ending result not understanding fuel expenses, tolls, permits, ect) and wind up hurting the drivers themselves. I know dispatchers and brokers are the lawyers of the trucking world but believe me, there are dispatchers who are on your side. Heck I got written up for defending drivers and I would gladly do it again! I am pro driver not pro company!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Yes, we get calls for far away freight all the time, which drops the rate. Fedex actually has customers call them, instead of only chasing bid boards. Therefore, in an effort to service that customer, they will see if they have trucks that can make the pick, accept those loads, then start offering. If all close refuse, they reach out. If all still refuse, as last resort, they offer to other companies.

High deadhead, I simply tell them I need help with deadhead cost... if cant do it... ok no thanks, end of convo.

I dont argue with them. I know their job is to get it covered, mine is to make money. Besides,.they never know... someone might really wanna go there, and will take it.

If the run itself pays, and its the deadhead that kills it.....most dispatchers already know that and will work with ya. For example, especially short airport runs with 90% deadhead ...get 'em all the time. I ask for help w/ deadhead, and go.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Agreed and I suppose the reason they don't initially do something with it is the off chance someone wants to go that way and will do it for fuel money to get there. I suspect that's a rare thing though. It seems more productive to use the common sense to say this has to pay more with those distances and offer appropriately.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I think the problem is, some sales people take the run without looking. Also, if the order is customer entered online, I dont know if "Otto D" looks to see if a truck is close.

Dale