Coming Back.....

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
Hi Drivers,

My husband and me are coming back into expedited trucking after about 5 years away. We have been driving together since 1989, so we aren't "Newbies". We drove an expediter for about 15 months.

We've missed driving a "Little Truck", because we REALLY enjoyed it when we were out before, until a trip to Alaska, and our carrier screwed us out of a LOT of money.

We loved driving an expediter because it was easier on us physically, and we could take better care of ourselves. There didn't seem to be as much BS involved as there was with driving a T/T, which we did for over 10 years before we got into expediting.

Has expediting changed as much as driving a T/T has?

I noticed when me/hubby went back to T/T that it was SO different, and I was NOT impressed with the changes I saw!!

The drivers had become SO RUDE and pushy, and just seemed to have not even any SENSE of courtesy and good manners. I had drivers come up to me when I was fueling our truck, and actually YELL at me about getting out of their way, call me names, aggrivate my dogs, and just in general act like they were born in a BARN or something.

I could NOT speak on the CB, because some idiot with a shoe size that was larger than his IQ would make nasty remarks, and I got to the point that I wouldn't talk on the radio unless I saw a bad situation. Granted, I've been dealing with that type of foolishness for many years-I've been driving since I was 21-but I guess that the older I've become the less I've tolerated,because I'm GOOD at my job, and I feel that I've EARNED some respect.

But, like I said, I'm just wondering if expediting has changed as much as T/T has.

Any opinions,advice, etc.???

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh boy...Drivers in expediting are more snippy, moody and some are downright depressing! The whine level is deafening...Business is down and so is the mood. The most pleasant ones are the folks with their golf clubs in the back!

Welcome back and Good Luck! and keep smiling!:)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't have a lot of years to compare so my answer may not be as good as most. But for the 4.5 years we have been on the road, we have found expediters to be a friendly bunch.

I cannot think of a time at a truck stop or on the road where an expediter cut us off, yelled at us for being in the way, gave us the finger, talked rotten to us on the CB, etc. Sadly, I cannot say the same for certain big-rig drivers, maybe some of the same people you talked about. While there are a lot of highly-professional and plain-good big rig drivers out there, it is the loud, born-in-a-barn types that are longer remembered.

Regarding the snippy, moody, depressing whiners OVM mentions, yes, they are out there. We run into them mostly at truck stops, mixed in with the upbeat professionals. I sometimes wonder if some of these folks are actually doing OK but have learned along the way that complaints about the work are good conversation starters. I don't know.

I do know we have no patience for them. Whiners usally start their routine unsolicited. When one starts, we generally listen quietly for a few minutes because we might learn something we did not know. But when that opportunity has run its course, I will repeat the whiner's list of complaints back to him and ask, "So, where are you going after (carrier name)?"

It took a while to develop the technique but it works. It does not disrespect or offend the whiner. It does not make him wrong about the complaints. It shows we are listening and actually hear what he is saying. It also makes the point to the person with the complaints that if things are as bad as he suggests, the logical thing to do is change carriers or get out of the business.

The technique produces one of two results. Either the whiner leaves , probably to search out a more like-minded listener, or he shifts to a more positive and productive tone. His complaints change from absolute truths in need of truck stop broadcasts, to items of discussion that can be explored.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have a lot of years to compare so my answer may not be as good as most. But for the 4.5 years we have been on the road, we have found expediters to be a friendly bunch.

I cannot think of a time at a truck stop or on the road where an expediter cut us off, yelled at us for being in the way, gave us the finger, talked rotten to us on the CB, etc. Sadly, I cannot say the same for certain big-rig drivers, maybe some of the same people you talked about. While there are a lot of highly-professional and plain-good big rig drivers out there, it is the loud, born-in-a-barn types that are longer remembered.

Granted..we are a friendly bunch and nope never had a fellow expediter cut us off or give us the finger...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would imagine you are going to find many changes here also so be prepared. With the economy in a slump, many are getting grouchier then usual and would like to blame everyone else for their problems. As on OVM has said keep smiling and ignore the bitter ones. Life is still good out here.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the positive side myself...in the busy times ya couldn't even get time to fry a steak on the grill...BUT now in slower times you can do a whole pot roast in the slow cooker!!! Yummmmm:D

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
I like the positive side myself...in the busy times ya couldn't even get time to fry a steak on the grill...BUT now in slower times you can do a whole pot roast in the slow cooker!!! Yummmmm:D

OVM-- The way to YOUR heart is through your TUMMY,huh? BIG GRIN!!

Last edited:

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
Oh boy...Drivers in expediting are more snippy, moody and some are downright depressing! The whine level is deafening...Business is down and so is the mood. The most pleasant ones are the folks with their golf clubs in the back!

Welcome back and Good Luck! and keep smiling!:)
Maybe some of those whiners need to stop and smell the flowers,huh? I always seem to find something POSITIVE in a lot of situations. Maybe I'm a "Glass Half Full" person??

CharlesD

Expert Expediter

That's assuming you're getting enough work to be able to afford the pot roast. I thought we're all supposed to be starving out here.

Anyway, I've found that when I'm at a truck stop that has a fair number of expediters hanging around, there is still quite a bit of friendly social interaction. The problem is that I don't do as much socializing as I used to because I'm on the computer more scouring for loads. When things were busier, I would take more time away from the computer because I wasn't so worried about missing something. Now, the computer goes everywhere I go, even into a restaurant. I hope I'm not becoming too grouchy if you run into me.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I only have 3 years in so I don't know if I can shed much light. We find MOST expediters to be a really friendly bunch. We run into a few whiners but they are easy to ignore for the most part. We are having a good year, doing better than last year so we won't complain. Layoutshooter

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Everything is up:

1. Fuel prices

2. Volume of traffic

3. More accidents with longer delays

4. Lines at the fuel pump

5. Lines in the C-stores

6. Tempers

7. Vulgar CB chatter

8. Additional paperwork

9. Bacteria counts from those who never wash their hands after using the bathroom and then pick up the food at the buffet with their hands. Yummy!

10. Lines waiting for showers and laundry.

11. Wait times between load offers.

And yes, most expediters are still friendly, but like Charles said, I am spending more time watching the computer than a year ago, so I do not get the time to visit. It is just the other 99% of persons on the road that make the business somewhat frustrating and dangerous.

PS. Born in a barn? I guess my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, would meet that criterion. I am glad to remember Him.

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
I CERTAINLY wasn't refering to our Lord and Savior,Jesus Christ,David!! I'd NEVER do that!! I remember him,too.

I was referring to some of the ANIMALS!!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Oh, I know that you were not.

I can sense your meek and humble spirit.

Your words speak volumes and I did not detect any boasting or pride.

I may seem somewhat brash in my evaluation of the industry, but I would rather folks know exactly what they are getting into before they invest their precious time and money. Many have been the times folks have said to me, "Nobody told us about not being able to find a place to park, the night driving, no regular schedule...etc."

If you do decide to return to the road, please know that I will do everything possible to make your return a pleasant experience. :)

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
Thanks,David! I LOVE making new friends! I don't know what our truck number will be yet, but we'll be watching for you!! God bless you!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
David...You forgot BEEF!! You seen the price of a T-bone lately!!

Charles...we too are having a good year so far! :)

Hapipupi....My tummy is very satisfied! Thank You.