Comcast.mobile

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yesterday I received an e-mail from Comcast, my home highspeed internet provider. The message announced a new service called comcast.mobile. This new service would allow a properly equipped phone to access the internet. The service appears to be free, I think.

I have a Motorola Razor and Verizon is my service provider. Would it be possible to use the comcast.mobile service to access the internet via my laptop? Could I run a cable from my phone into a USB port on my laptop for internet access? I do not have an aircard and get most of my internet access by lurking near hotels and restaurants. Occasionally I will purchase 24 hour service at a truck stop.

Is anyone familiar with comcast.mobile? Should I experiment or wait for expert geek advice? Would connecting my phone to my laptop via USB fry either the phone or computer? Will I incur huge extra charges from Verizon?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think (I think) that's the same as Verizon's Mobile Web, a web portal optimized for cell phone use. No fancy pictures, no fancy java scripts, just the simple text.

You can buy a data plan from Verizon and hook your phone to the laptop right now. The phone becomes the Aircard. But, if you do that, you're probably better off getting an aircard and using the phone as a phone. That way you can be on the net and talk on the phone at the same time.